AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1795 of 1795 Posts

·
Registered
19,125 Posts
This is not an easy task. It isn't possible to do a "side-by-side" comparison in real-time, so that's out. Visual memory is likely not accurate enough to justify formal conclusions (or at least mine isn't). The only way to do this in a rigorous fashion would be to use still images, and even that is not a trivial task.

I do have photography experience, and could set up my DSLR on a tripod, shoot in Raw Format, use identical exposure settings, etc. I would then have to verify that my DSLR, as well as my computer monitor were capable of capturing a wide enough color gamut to demonstrate differences that are there.

The bottom line for me is that there is a difference, based on the science behind the filter's characteristics. And as I said, since the light cost is minimal, I use it to ensure I'm getting the best possible image from my projector. Anything beyond that would be interesting, but likely Academic, so I haven't taken the time to do this.

I'm using the Panasonic UB820. I bought this for use with prior Projectors, specifically the RS400, where HDR handling was poor on its own. It did provide several useful options to make it work better (along with custom gamma curves, an HD Fury Integral, and so forth). If I were buying a new player today, these features wouldn't matter, and my choice might be different.

But yes, all HDR tone-mapping, including the Optimizer, in the UB820 are disabled, wanting to deliver as "pure" a signal to the Envy as possible. And just for clarification, the Envy does not rely on HDR metadata, because this is notoriously unreliable.
The Panasonic has undefeatable 4K upscaling. So your Envy isn't doing the 1080p - 4K upscaling.

·
Registered
19,125 Posts
Thank you for your input, I was of the opinion that most blu-ray players meddle with the video signal except the Oppo which allowed the video signal to pass-through without tampering with it in any way. I'm not completely sure but I think the only other player that can do that is the highest-end Pioneer blu-ray player. What player would you buy?

Meant to ask, do you get good results via the Envy with streaming services such as Netflix and Prime?

One last clarification that I needed before I forget - The Envy automatically detected 16:9 content and scales it to fit the height of your screen and centralises it - this is all done by the envy internally and has nothing to do with your control system (Control 4), is that correct?
The Sony 4K Blu-ray players can also be set to send the native resolution. I have a Sony UBP-X800M2 player coming, to test with my Lumagen.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The Panasonic has undefeatable 4K upscaling. So your Envy isn't doing the 1080p - 4K upscaling.
Correct. Craig, and I'm aware of that.

His question was on HDR performance (edited to add: also about WCG and the Color Filter), not upscaling, and this is what I was addressing in my post.

The Envy does have the option to force a 1080p EDID when I want, which will enable the UB820 to output a 1080p signal. This in turn will allow the Envy to handle the upscaling to 4k. I haven't spent much time doing this comparison, but it is definitely possible to do this even with players like the UB820 where this otherwise wouldn't be possible.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I was under the impression that for 16:9 content (Anamorphic Mode D), a different lens memory needs to be selected.

Are the Anamorphic modes selectable via a button the JVC remote control or are they embedded in the menu and need a few clicks to select?
I see that you’ve already received an answer, indeed aspect ratio detection and handling is automatically handled with a video processor such as a Lumagen Radiance Pro, so after a quick configuration within the Lumagen, you never again have to deal with aspect ratio or dynamic tone mapping configurations.

I’ve been experimenting with non-linear stretch of 16:9 images to fill my 2.40:1 scope screen, which can be done automatically in the configuration, or via a single button on the remote. And I game on my JVC NX7, with Madden and NHL being benefactors of the stretching (IMO). Thankfully JVC improved input latency on the latest pj’s, and since the Lumagen adds almost no additional latency, it’s a quite playable configuration. The image quality is astonishing.

The image quality and usability combination of the DCR, NX7, Radiance Pro has added a ton of enjoyment to my theater.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi all. I’m still having issue with the picture showing about 2 inches on my velvet black boarder. It is very noticeable with light colors. my projector is shelf mounted. I’m 16.5” from screen. I’ve raised up my lens and shifted down. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

·
Registered
19,125 Posts
Hi all. I’m still having issue with the picture showing about 2 inches on my velvet black boarder. It is very noticeable with light colors. my projector is shelf mounted. I’m 16.5” from screen. I’ve raised up my lens and shifted down. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.
Try changing the angle of the lens too. What's your screen width ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it's sized appropriately in the other direction (width or height), you can always mask it in the projector for that content.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Which side you have the overspill? If top/bottom, I think it is to be expected since DCR is not exactly 2.4:1 ratio, it is 2.37:1 or something like that. Apparently you can adjust it somewhat by angling the lens, but I don't know how much.

·
Registered
862 Posts
After about 30 minutes of fiddling, I was able to get my top-bottom overspill to only an inch, which hides the barrel distortion as I am at minimum throw. You can either digitally mask off those parts through the projector, or just leave them be if you have a dark enough frame around your screen.

Tilt can help a bit, or it can offset, but it can also undo 20 minutes worth of work!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Which side you have the overspill? If top/bottom, I think it is to be expected since DCR is not exactly 2.4:1 ratio, it is 2.37:1 or something like that. Apparently you can adjust it somewhat by angling the lens, but I don't know how much.
Hello, it is top overspill. Definitely bothers me but not the family :). I will continue to play with it

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
After about 30 minutes of fiddling, I was able to get my top-bottom overspill to only an inch, which hides the barrel distortion as I am at minimum throw. You can either digitally mask off those parts through the projector, or just leave them be if you have a dark enough frame around your screen.

Tilt can help a bit, or it can offset, but it can also undo 20 minutes worth of work!
I will continue to play with it but what i don’t like is seeing people’s hair on the black velvet. :mad: It worked fine with the projector hanging from the ceiling but now it is shelf mounted. I’m sure its just a small tweak.

·
Registered
19,125 Posts
I will continue to play with it but what i don’t like is seeing people’s hair on the black velvet. :mad: It worked fine with the projector hanging from the ceiling but now it is shelf mounted. I’m sure its just a small tweak.
You are right at the minimum throw, like I am. Is the shelf a lot lower than the previous ceiling mount?

·
Registered
503 Posts
You are right at the minimum throw, like I am. Is the shelf a lot lower than the previous ceiling mount?
I'm actually further back by 2' now that i have it shelf mounted. It isn't much lower, i have a port hole, i can move the projector back at least 1.5" if that would help.

·
Registered
19,125 Posts
I'm actually further back by 2' now that i have it shelf mounted. It isn't much lower, i have a port hole, i can move the projector back at least 1.5" if that would help.
That would reduce barrel distortion. I just zoom the edges off into the masking and forget about it myself.

1781 - 1795 of 1795 Posts