AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a new hushbox affair above my equipment cabinet, in the wall, and the best solution is to mount the panamorph INSIDE this hushbox along with my G15.

I have a 8x10 piece of specialized glass for the image to pass through though the panamorph will be about the width of a 2x4 away from the glass and the front of the panny.

My question is what size is the resultant image out of the panamorph from 3 inches away?

I am in the final stages of doing all of this and by the emails I got prior to today I assumed I would have it and would be able to adjust the build procedure according to what the panamorphs needed but I am of course still waiting. Fex ex and Shawn Inc are not seeing eye to eye and are using the panamorph shipping cartons as hockey pucks.

Shawn,

I also need the "projected" exit image size of the 235 unit please.

Anyone mind sticking a ruler there and giving me approximate dimensions if I can't get it from Shawn quickly?

The cappenter is due back tonight. When I have a carpenter who is willing to show up it's sorta like the gods have been smiling and I need to take advantage of the situation.

Thanks!

Larry

------------------

DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP/DMCA MANUFACTURERS!

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Larry,

In preparation for mounting the Panamorph when I get it -

I wanted some idea of the range of distances from the PJ

that I can place the Pannie and still fit the beam in the

input. [ The Cygnus calculator provides the max. width. ]

I got two pieces of paper and taped a ruler to one of them

that extended beyond the edge of the paper. With a 2nd

piece of paper, I could hold the two pieces to make a window

that was just big enough for the beam - any closer and the

paper would intercept the beam edges.

Then I just read off the width of this "window" on the

ruler.

Greg

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Larry,

Are you saying the 752 will be 3" away from the G15 lens or the special glass?

If G15, then you may have some problems. I was able to get about 1 1/2 inches away before I started seeing shadows of the 752 upper housing and light baffle. I was at about 85% wide zoom. If you use your G15 in more of a tele zoom, it may help, but 3" may still be too much.

Moving the 752 closer to and away from the Gxx lens doesn't change the "image" size at all.

Chris

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The panamorph will be as slose as possible to the lens...no obstructions....then the output of the panamorph will be approximatly 3 inches from the glass and I really don't know how large of an image the panamorph puts out. I will be at about the maximum width that the lens will throw. To make that clearer the projector is roughly 210" from the screen and the screen is 104" WIDE.

I probably just have brain lock on this...like rewiring a system.

Thanks for the help!

Larry

------------------

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
202 Posts
since the panny doesn't alter horizontal size (which is the biggest dimension for 4x3 or 16x9,) the width of the image on your piece of glass should be about the same with or without the panamorph...

ie: what brain-lock? :)

·
Registered
229 Posts

Larry,

I'm sure you have already noticed this...but just in case: Panamorph operating temperature is 65-85F. Some hushbox internal temps exceed that upper limit.

Paul

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Ahhh. I know what you're saying now. You want to know what the width of the light coming out of the Pannie outer glass is, right?

I never measured it, but it's smaller than the width of the glass itself. I stared into the eye blazing image several times to try and see anything on the lens that might have been causing my distortion problem.

I also held up some cardboard to the lens itself to see if close masking could work. If I remember correctly, it was about an inch on each side, so you should be fine.

Chris

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
humm....hushbox temp

Well, I did find and am now a dealer for a VERY SLICK method of discharging the hot air into the basement. I'm taking it from the top of the former closet and drawing it down thru furnished sound insulated tubing with a squirrel cage fan that will move 100 CFM mounted in the basement. I'm a LOT cheaper than smarthome is to boot. I uill have this on a temperture sensitive switch thats part of their package. I think that should be more than enough of a draw even with the variable speed fan option.

Ok this IS a shameless plug...but I paid retail for the first of their products anyway. They make a bunch for cooling hardware for standalone pieces and in racks as well.
www.activethermal.com for anyone thats interested.

Email me for pricing on this stuff.

I don't belive Alan is a dealer so I should not be stepping on any toes. If so remove any reference to this please.

About the same size ehh? Om this WILL work. I had an idea based on the size of the panamorph in pics that It might somehow radically change the size.

Thanks!

And Thanks Chris! I appreciate your help!

Larry

------------------

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation http://www.eff.org/

[This message has been edited by videohot (edited 08-16-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.