AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the problem that the mount wont fit from the bottom of the hushbox to lens size or the lens wont fit in there at all...

If its the former it would seem a no brainer to mount the Pannie hanging from the hushbox roof (like the projector) and fit it this way...

If the compression in this method is the wrong way round (shrinking up instead of down etc) then you can turn the lens around in its mount without any effect or injury...

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
340 Posts
It sounds as if you built your hushbox with enough horizontal space in front of the projector lens for an anamorphic lens, but not enough vertical space for the panamorph. This means that you can't put the panamorph outside the box because it would be too far away from the projector lens, and you can't put it inside the box because you don't have enough height. Bummer. I can't see a way around this other than building a new hushbox. Having spent the last three weekends building mine, I can understand your reluctance not to want to do this. Hopefully I've built mine with enough room for the panamorph - that certainly was the plan, and it should work if the drawings in the PDF of the instructions are correct.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Dave, Phat

thanks for the response. Chris is a true soothsayer. He understands my situation exactly. I have sufficient depth to mount the panamorph lens inside the hush box, but lack the clearance between the bottom of the projector's lens and the hush box. To move the panamorph lens out in front of the hush box, would place the panamorph lens too far away from the projectors lens .

I am so tight on the throw distance that if I pull the projector 7 inches forward of its current position, I am unable to fill the full width of my 107 inch wide screen.

I may try a 2.75 inch rise (instead of 3.5) with a greater degree of upward tilt and see if I can improve the compression of the lens. If the AR is improved, I will have to evaluate the keystone. Mild would be OK, as I can display it on the masking of the screen.

Thanks

(Side view below)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0 (0=lens center)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | (x=vertical lift under PJ)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | (vertical dashes=pmorph lens)

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (y bottom of hush box)

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Like many with D-ILA projectors with inverted ceiling mounted, I have the projector contained in a hushbox. The projectors lens is mounted about one inch above the top of the screen, and there is little or no discernable keystone with my standard installation.

The bottom of the lens is about 1/8" above the supporting floor of the hush box. That is my problem. I have found that the projectors lens needs to lie about 3.5 inches above the panamorph (with the projector mounted approximately 205 inches away onto a 107 inch wide 16:9 screen) to be able to center the image vertically on the screen. Unfortunately, I lose the ability to create a 1.78 AR, deriving an image that is too tall. In other word, I am not getting sufficient vertical compression with the setup I have.

I am very disappointed as I clearly see the advantage of using the lens. The image is far more film like, and I am very pleased with the improvement in pixel density and brightness on my R. Martin calibrated projector. The image clarity does not suffer at all as it passes through the lens.

Does anybody see a solution that does not involve the construction of a new hush box at a height 4" below the projector. This would be a complete rebuild, as the sides do not have sufficient height. Every upgrade has some pain I guess.

I have advertised it in the classifieds, as it appears that at a throw of 1.9x screen width that the ISCOII may be better for me.

Thanks

Don O

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So your hushbox is big enough depth-wise to accomodate the Panamorph? If so, then it is too bad you can't put it inside. So, how about putting it in front of the hushbox, perhaps with a "Panamorph box" around it? Or, could you attach a shelf to the front of your hushbox, a little lower, to put the Panamorph on?

- Dave

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Don,

I feel for you. I got mine last weekend and had similar problems and others. Not smooth sailing at all when you have mounting and hushbox constraints. My projector is sitting as high as it can go and my screen as low, and I could not get enough space or angle to make the correct AR and image fall on the 16:9 screen.

I finally discovered that I could barely make it all work by inverting the lens in its bracket. That gave me enough tilt room to maintain the AR and have the image (mostly) fall on the screen. I do have about an inch of keystone this way, but it is acceptable with the screen frame masking it.

If you have not tried inverting the lens, then it does make a big difference. Even so, it requires almost 2" of clearance below the projector, so I think you are still stuck.

I am curious about your statement that there was no loss of clarity, however. With a Windows desktop up, I can no longer read the letters on the Task Bar. I'm using the same size screen as you are, and similar throw (the image is zoomed as large as I can make it and it barely fills the 107" Vutec).

My major problem at this point is that my panny is leaking oil, and I now have a vertical streak of distortion from a drip on the inside. Cygnus has ignored my e-mails so far.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.