AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to stretch a letterboxed 16:9 DVD using YxY with a HTPC and then "squeeze" it back into its proper shape with the panamorph lens? If it is, will this create what would essentially be an anamorphic DVD from a letterboxed DVD?

It would be nice if this was possible.

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

Grant Smyth

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi Grant,

Yes, you can use YXY to stretch non-anamorphic DVD's to anamorphic dimensions. I call it "faux anamorphic", but whatever you call it, you don't add real resolution (I think you knew this already). Depending on the quality of the transfer, the upconversion can have dramatic effects. I've used letterbox to anamorphic upconversion many times with my ISCO. It will work just as well with the Panamorph (hopefully better).

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Howdy Mike,

Actually, 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD's use only 75% of the vertical resolution or 360/480 vertical lines. So some DVD's (many in reality) aren't using all the available resolution.

Anamorphic DVD's have 33% more vertical resolution than non. As an example, a movie displayed as letterboxed (non anamorphic) 1.78:1, would use 360 vertical lines. The anamorphic counterpart would use all 480.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Davis:
Actually, 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD's use only 75% of the vertical resolution or 360/480 vertical lines. So some DVD's (many in reality) aren't using all the available resolution.
I should have noted this, but instead I deleted the stupid posting. The tip off to the need for stretching non-anamorphic material should've been pretty obvious with the reference to Panamorph in the subject line.

Truly a "Doh!" moment...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I did this that last week-end on a 16/9 FPTV.

Using a Dell Inspiron via svideo with YXY i noticed a great improvement in brightness and overall perceived resolution.

I call this procedure 'Anamorphisation'

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry, when you say dramatic effects do you mean a dramatic improvement - close to what you would see with a true anamorphic transfer? Please say yes and thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Grant,

Yes. But it depends on the quality of the transfer. What looked soft and smudged before, will as bad if not worse. But a great non anamorphic transfer will look much better with the faux anamorphic treatment. Vertigo and Criterion's The Killer are two good examples off the top of my head. Frank seems to be knocked out by the Titanic DVD, which is also non anamorphic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.