AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
"The latest P752 model allows for minor tilts between the projector and the Panamorph" - is this something new? Does this allow one to minimize the distortion produced by the Davis and other projectors and the Panamorph? Anyone?

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
873 Posts
Perhaps an acquisition?

That's probably the best candidate explanation at this time given all the other clues.

Kelly

·
Registered
29 Posts
next clue: the broken picture link on the website.

file:///C:/Cygnus%20Imaging/Shawn%20Files/Graphics%20Files/Panamorph/pan1.JPG

Right off the hard drive itself. oops!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my memory is correct there used to be a link from Cygnus WEB site to Visual Systems Research. Does anybody know the relationship between the two companies?

------------------

Jim Nissen

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
That's interesting. That website's front-cover photo looks remarkably similar to the $20 ebay 100" TV kit that has been discussed here at AVS.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Do you think Shawn Kelly could be the alter ego of Lane Fevrish? And could the Panamorph be a variation of the Fevrish lens?

I remember some suggesting that we take a Fevrish lens and try to make it do the squeeze. And wasn't it about the same time when Fevrish posted to a thread on here that Shawn announced the Panamorph? Hmmm. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You could be onto something here Rob... I mean with the feverish cornering the cheap end of the market for a product that doesn't work what else is there to do but re-invent yourself at the opposite end with another prod... Nahh I am not going to say it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif !!

This is just too easy.. Its like making teenagers depressed.. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

NOTE for all my joking the most recent DL450 thread actually looks like much of this (distortion issue) may have been a storm in a teacup (I hope)...

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I am NOT going to walk around with some wierd looking prizm like coke-bottle bottom glasses on just to look at my palm pilot with a sense of wonder.... what happens when i look at a regualr sized tv.. or a PJ? would my head explode?

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Jim

From what I have found out this is Shawns research development company for 3D applications. I did notice that my friends Panamorph is labeled as a "ViSR Panamorph" complete with stickers. It would seem that this move is for some sort of business purpose, or perhaps is related to the general distribution of the product thru retail channels.

I imagine that after Cedia we will know what the details are.

The web site said "All Prebuys" have ended as of the 26th August so it looks like this is tied into the ViSR label.

It would seem that ViSR is still very much Shawn. If you notice, even the Welcome gifs are the same as what was used on the Cygnus site.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
found this information on the site

Launched as an independent corporation in 1999, Visual Systems Research, Inc. is the culmination of eight years of research and development of Portable Visual Interface (PVITM) technologies by founder and CEO, Shawn Kelly. Mr. Kelly, a visual displays expert and former Air Force Captain and Program Manager for President Reagan’s "Star Wars" Program, has built his career leading the development of advanced visualization technologies in both the public and private sectors. A successful entrepreneur in his first business venture, Cygnus Imaging Corporation ( www.cgns.com ), Mr. Kelly sold the Cygnus technologies to a Fortune 100 company and founded Visual Systems Research (ViSR) specifically to commercialize this fundamental change in the way people will view computer, television and internet content.

ViSR’s multi-patented PVI technology creates the equivalent viewing space of a 35 inch, high definition, desktop monitor from 30 inches away. Integrated with web-capable cell phones, portable PCs and other information appliances, this technology allows mobile access to all conventional PC, video and future immersive 3D environments for medical, business, science, education and entertainment applications. Representing the core competitive advantage of ViSR’s proprietary products, the revolutionary PVI optical system delivers almost twice the image size and resolution of the best competing products while utilizing very low cost, high quality components. The result is an affordable display experience unmatched by any video or computer monitor currently in existence.

so shawn is probably still the majority share holder in VSR but what I cant make out if cygnus technologies he sold is the same company as the company manufacturing the panamorph, or he just sold technology out of that company?

arjo

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well I guess with Stewart Filmscreens taking over the Panamorph sales it sort of now makes sense as to why Shawn has gone this way. It is obvious that Stewart did not want him direct marketing as it would upset Stewart Dealers.

Don has always pushed Shawns IMX lens as well so I guess the tie up is not that big a surprise.

I wonder if Shawn is showing the 2:35 lens at Cedia?

DavidW

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
yes shawn has the direct 2.35 lense there. it is not set up. just sitting on a table in the stewart booth when i saw it. he seemed frazzled. said their web service providor had taken their servers down and everything was offline. i told him that i thought he was the timex of home theatre - takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.