AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are now roughly moved into the new facility and the P752 is in production. The July 16 initial ship date is now only dependent on internal operations and slightly modified optical components which are scheduled to arrive on July 12. As you’ll see from the web site, the P752 is now officially a replacement for the P751 for a number of good reasons, although we do have a couple more P751 units to go out today.

I again deeply regret and apologize that getting this operation going has created so many delays. I have had two customers ask to transfer their orders to others because of this, and will be happy to make the appropriate arrangements for any others in this regard.

Our first priority is to get these units built and shipped. However, we would also like to have an open house for any forum members who would like to attend on either July 20 or 21, whichever is more convenient. Please contact me at [email protected] with your preference date and we will figure out which makes sense. Note that the facility is primarily manufacturing and assembly, so we don’t have a formal projection room per se, but we can do product demonstrations. The facility is in Farmington Hills, MI, very close to the intersection of I696, I275 and I96.

I have also modified (and hopefully simplified) the Panamorph calculator on the web site. First, the capability of the P752 to be adjusted against the projector tilt for a variety of image heights and aspect ratios is included. Second, in response to emailed questions from the first calculator, the new version allows you to directly enter the desired image drop to get the required projector tilt instead of the reverse.

I know it has been extremely frustrating to continuously wait for this product and I have great respect and appreciation for the many forum members who continue their encouragement. I think one of the things I can do other than shipping units as fast as possible is to provide more frequent updates. Later this afternoon I will form a new page on the Cygnus web site that will provide daily updates on the program so that everyone will be able to see where we are.

Yours truly,

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
180 Posts
Happy Days. I think daily updates,even if they are bad news, will do more to to keep us (well me anyway)happy than anything else ,other than actually shipping the lens, you could do. At this stage hearing from you weekly just wasn't enough. Please stick to this. By the way can the people who attend the Open House pick up their lenses if they are ready?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
This update should help provide comfort to most of us.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Shawn,

Maybe in your regular updates you can mention the progress of the Panamorph II project.

I know that we are still a month away from projected shipments, but I haven't yet heard whether you reached the minimum production threshold to start building the PIIs for sure, or if there are any new potential delays (or additional features) that have come from the 752 development, or the recent production facility move.

Anyway, this is good news and I hope to hear more soon.

-Dean.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I thought there where 2 individuals that have gotten there P751 a week back. But I have yet to read any initual post about there Impression of the lense.

Did I miss it?

Or is there a problem with it.

Hugo

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
There is no problem with the one I received and I think Jeff L. was the other person. I just haven't had time to write up the review yet as I wanted to compare it with the ISCO II and report on both.

I'm surprised that there aren't any more people that went ahead with the P751 - I think Shawn just said he has several available in his post earlier today.

Tom

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That's good news, Shawn. I think daily updates will be very helpful. Even if it's bad news or just not much to report, I'm sure being kept in the loop will enhance people's peace of mind.

Like Dean, I'm also curious about how PII development is coming along.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Tommyboy,

Pending your comparative review, I would really like to see pics of a panamorphed and a letterboxed 16X9 image, if it isn't too much trouble.

If I remember correctly, the pics on the panamorph website were only a simulation. They are currently not available, so maybe he is updating them with actual images???

With so many threads, I apologize if you have posted these, and I just missed them.

The pics would just give me some warm fuzzies.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
110 Posts
What is going on here? I have greatly enjoyed reading this forum for some time now. I have read it for much longer than I have posted to it. Recently I have been seeing something very wrong going on. The censoring of posts. It seems as though Alan has determined that nobody can say anything bad about this Cygnus company. If you do he simply pulls the post or the thread. When I first read this thread there were 2 other posts at the bottom one from a guy satirizing the ups and downs of the panamorph timeline then one from Alan putting this person down for expressing their opinion. There have been several other threads which Alan has deleted regarding this Panamorph situation. The rules section for this forum state:

"The AVS Forums are designed for members to express their opinions, viewpoints and testimonials on various products, services and events based upon speculation, personal knowledge and factual information through use, therefore all views represented here allow no liability upon the publishers of this web site and the owners of said views assume no liability for any ill will resulting from these postings. The posts made here are for educational as well as entertainment purposes and as such anyone viewing this portion of the website must accept these views as statements of the author of that opinion and agrees to release the authors from any and all liability."

It seems to me that people stating that they are dissatisfied with the service which a company is providing is within the rules of this forum. All the poster said was that this company routinely gives good news followed by some letdown. Now he did not say it in those words, but Alan felt it right to censor his words, which were in no way vulgar. Then Alan Flamed this person.

I have lost all respect for the owner of this forum. I always thought of this place as a free exchange of information and opionions. Apparently if your opinion is in difference to the owners business dealings they are not welcome.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Rickfritz

We will not delete your post. It will stay.

As you can see there are no flame wars going on in this thread.

It has been a constructive thread. Lets keep it that way.

It is my job to decide what stays and what goes. You will see plenty of negative post still remaining. Its the ones that received many complaints from other forum members that got pulled. I'm not pulling it on my own other member are complaining.

If someone puts up a post and cannot express themselves as an adult and I get 20 emails complaining then it gets pulled. Simple.

Plenty of other people have posted their negative experiences in a mature way without personally attacking anyone and their post have remain.

Thanks for supporting the forum.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shodoug:
Tommyboy,

Pending your comparative review, I would really like to see pics of a panamorphed and a letterboxed 16X9 image, if it isn't too much trouble.

If I remember correctly, the pics on the panamorph website were only a simulation. They are currently not available, so maybe he is updating them with actual images???

With so many threads, I apologize if you have posted these, and I just missed them.

The pics would just give me some warm fuzzies.

Thanks,

Doug
I'd be happy to try it but, frankly I don't think digital cameras are particularily good at capturing overall image quality. Test patterns are hard enough IMO. But I'll give it a try anyway!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with rickflitz,too many posts are being censored for the wrong reasons. I been following the saga of this P751 and P752 with amusement. This is what you call a real entertainment, plenty of plot twists combined with real human emotions.

Arrow, are you the owner of this forum?

[This message has been edited by kiwan (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Quote:
I'd be happy to try it but, frankly I don't think digital cameras are particularily good at capturing overall image quality. Test patterns are hard enough IMO. But I'll give it a try anyway!
Thanks.

I'm not expecting too much. I suspect that the brightness difference might not come out, as others have posted when using pictures in their reviews (of other equipment). I bet I could see some of what it does when viewed pixel by pixel with ACDsee32 on my lt150 (Pixel by pixel per the camera picture, not the original displayed image).

Thanks again.

Doug

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Some of you know that I posted a message earlier today as it relates to several other posts that were yanked/deleted by the moderators. My posting was also quickly deleted. That really angered me because I did not think it offensive, nor particularly off-topic, because I think it goes to the fundamental level of trust we have in this forum. In the past, I had always viewed Alan and his group as a pretty open bunch of guys, and I've seen him endorse products he didn't sell, etc. That kind of thing means a lot to me and I value it. That is part of why I was so disappointed that my posting was simply deleted immediately.

IMO there have been far too many deletions, and my original posting was in regards to this. After a personal email complaint about the deletion was sent, Alan sent me a reply that basically said he was getting too many complaints about the panamorph complaint threads and had decided to delete threads to keep the noise down.

Let me make 2 points:

1) People need to lose their emotional attachment either for or against the panny. If you want out, Alan has repeatedly offered refunds, so just do it. I realize the disappointment, believe me. I had holes cut in my ceiling for 6 months waiting on this. Likewise, those of you who are cheerleaders - quit acting like it is perfectly normal to take over a year after taking our money to deliver the product - it's not! People have a right to be unhappy about the delays and yes even to be a bit concerned about the future. They're not insulting your mother.

There is no need for either side to be hostile about it. This forum has been remarkably flame-free for the nearly 2 years I've been reading it, and that was WITHOUT censorship.

2) I would have harsh words for those privately emailing Alan pressuring him to yank threads from this forum. Sore eyes, who seems to have taken the brunt lately was not rude, he just had an opinion, which is what this forum is for. If you don't want to read it, then don't. Censorship is NOT the answer.

I have included the text of my original post below, which was yanked. Alan informed me that I should be posting them in this thread which Shawn created. Personally, I thought this issue was much bigger than the Panamorph - there will be other controversial products to come and I don't want ANY of them being censored, which is why I posted it in a separate thread, but I'm following his instruction to post it here, having been told it would not be deleted if I did so.

Anyway, here is what I said before, and I'm sticking to my story http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

--------------original post below-------------

I too would like to be on record that this recent uptick in the tendency to delete threads and close threads is counterproductive to our group desire: to be the one place on the internet to come and discuss topics related to HT.

The topics of controversy were clearly labeled, so if someone has no interest in reading about panny delays they can select elsewhere. If there are a growing number of complaint threads, well then I think that speaks to the mood of the group.

So long as one person is not posting multiple threads and clogging up the forum, and so long as malicious or libelous comments are not being made (neither of which have been the case here, AFAIK), I strongly agree that "moderation" (i.e. deleting/closing threads) should be eliminated. These threads may be pointless, but they are not harmful.

Sore eyes has been quite civil in his posts that I have read, and although I'm sure it is a thorn in your sides to read about the issues he raises, I agree with his concern that by attempting to squelch what you personally don't enjoy reading, the forum loses credibility.

I would disagree with him in that I doubt that Alan is being personally pressured and has no ability to be objective - but I think the actions taken by the deleting of threads does nothing to dispell that concern - in fact it

adds credibility to it.

This -is- a private forum, and of course Alan et. al. can do whatever they wish; there are no first ammendment rights here. But I strongly believe that credibility drops quickly by even the appearance of self-protective censorship. Much better to have some complaints, respond to them factually

(which I think has been done on a number of occassions - by stating clearly that refunds are available at any time, Alan has shown to the rest of us that there is no risk here) than to appear to hide behind the power of the

delete key.

In short, my "vote" (which I realize of course has limited significance) is to censor only those that are abusive, and leave those who want to complain about HT related products to do so. If we don't want to read about it, we can simply choose another thread.

We don't need babysitting.

Submitted respectfully.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kiwan:
I agree with rickflitz,too many posts are being censored for the wrong reasons. I been following the saga of this P751 and P752 with amusement. This is what you call a real entertainment, plenty of plot twists combined with real human emotions.

edit********************************************/edit

[This message has been edited by kiwan (edited 07-05-2001).]
Kiwan,

I don't think Arrow deserves to have his integrity questioned like that, I would ask that you please edit your post to remove that comment. The statement is needlessly inflamitory.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.