AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the panamorph today and experimented with using it. I like it. It does seem to do the things it is supposed to but...

In order to stretch the picture up, I put my Sanyo Z2 in the zoom mode. Problem is, this cuts off the top and bottom of the picture. What good is that?!!

Do I have to get an HTPC to use this thing now?

HELP!!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yep... you converted your 16x9 into a 2.35 native. So when the lens is there you can view a 2.35 disk zoomed on the PJ side and it should be correct. When viewing other materal you need to remove the lens or get some scaler that can pillarbox other materal.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My problem is that I don't want to lose the information on the top and bottom of the screen by zooming the projector. The picture is correct, there just isn't as much of it as there was before.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
????? you are not making any sense.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I zoom my projector to stretch the image vertically, my Z2 crops off the bottom and top of the picture.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed it when watching Star Wars. When I set the pj to zoom, part of a subtitle was cut off, and pointed head guy lost the top of his bald pate.

·
Registered
361 Posts
what do you have your DVD player set to?

s/b 16:9 | widescreen.

You have the right idea, just something is not set quite right. What you are attempting is the proper way to do it. (assuming your z2's screen modes are the same as on [my] Z1.

I noticed in starwars that the subtitles where in the active picture area (?) Maybe that's player dependent

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dvd player is set to 16:9. The signal is running thru a Yamaha Z9 to upconvert to 720p and it is set to thru.

The problem seems to be that the Z2 is cropping the picture. Is there a submenu in the Z2 that will make the zoom feature not crop the picure?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The idea behind using an anamorphic lens is because the material being viewed on the native panel creates wasted pixels. For instance, with the Z2 you have a 1280x720 native panel resolution. Viewing 2.35 material only uses 545 rows of pixels and not all 720. The idea is to 'streatch' the 2.35 material vertically to use all 720 rows of pixels, which makes everything look tall, and then allow the anamorphic lens to stretch what is coming out of the projector lens horizontally thus restoring the 2.35 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right....

how do I fix the cropping issue when I zoom the pj?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Speedy!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ed, I think you're missing something.

When we say we use zoom with the Panamorph, we are zooming the lens, not setting the picture to zoom in the menu. That's why you're getting cropping. We're increasing the area of the picture with the zoom lens.

At least, I think that's where the confusion is.

·
Registered
162 Posts
jim: you are right the z2 locks the 720p signal...

jeff: are you using an htpc?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Bruno,

Yes. I run an HTPC. I have to to get the scaling for 2.35 DVDs with my Panamorph, which leads to ....

Ed,

What DVD player are you using? Unless there's some hidden feature on it, most likely you'll need a scaler or HTPC. I'm not sure how you'll get a 16:9 picture without anamorphic "squeeze" out of a DVD player. You can get a 4:3 picture w/o squeeze, but I don't know about 16:9.

·
Registered
162 Posts
jeff: that was also my point... i'll bet his dvd player cant' do it...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jeff: I thought that you wanted to stretch the 2.35 picture vertically 33% so that you are using all of the pixels on the 16:9 panel of the projector. This would make the people look too tall, and the panamorph would compress them down to the correct aspect ratio.

Doesn't zooming the lens and not the picture uniformly enlarge the image, making the addition of the panamorph cause the final image to look too squat?

I appreciate the discussion, I won't be able to experiment with it til at least tomorrow.

BTW, jeff, your posts are one of the main reasons I got the panamorph. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeff,

I am considering either a Yamaha S2500 dvd player or an HTPC.

I have a very basic working knowledge of PCs, I've upgraded video cards, optical drives and OSs, but don't want to tweek tweek tweek.

Has your experience with HTPC been well worth it, or has it been frustrating?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.