AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I have an NEC HT1000 4:3 rig with a panamorph lens throwing a 16:9 image.

Does the projector provide menu options that allow you to throw the right image?

I understand that I would set the DVD player to 16:9 mode and the squeezed imaged is optically unsqueezed by the lens. I understand this.

But what about native 4:3 material, say regualar old TV or non anamorphic DVDs? How is this dealt with? I would assume that I'd need to emply a video processor to deal with this scenario as the 4:3 iamge would need to be squeezed so the panamorph lens could unsqueeze it to the proper aspect.

Finally, I was up on "Big Screen Direct" and they are pimping a panamorph for the PLV-70. Why? They marketing spew says it turns the projector into a 16:9 machine, but since the PLV-70 is already a 16:9 projector I'm not quite shure what they are trying to sell here.

· Registered
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
Say I have an NEC HT1000 4:3 rig with a panamorph lens throwing a 16:9 image.

Does the projector provide menu options that allow you to throw the right image?

I understand that I would set the DVD player to 16:9 mode and the squeezed imaged is optically unsqueezed by the lens. I understand this.

But what about native 4:3 material, say regualar old TV or non anamorphic DVDs? How is this dealt with? I would assume that I'd need to emply a video processor to deal with this scenario as the 4:3 iamge would need to be squeezed so the panamorph lens could unsqueeze it to the proper aspect.
There is a mode (3D reform) in the HT1000 that can be used for, but my understanding is that it takes maybe 30 seconds of playing in the menus or programming a separate remote to do all the steps. Since NEC is selling more projectors because of this anamorphic lens we're hoping that they will add a mode to make this a little easier. I'll probably just program a universal remote in the meantime.
Quote:

Finally, I was up on "Big Screen Direct" and they are pimping a panamorph for the PLV-70. Why? They marketing spew says it turns the projector into a 16:9 machine, but since the PLV-70 is already a 16:9 projector I'm not quite shure what they are trying to sell here.
This just looks like a misunderstanding. In some places they explain that an anamorphic lens can be used on a 16:9 projector to make it 2.35:1, which is why some people use them on PLV-70s, InFocus 7200s, etc. I don't see any place where they specifically say that they turn the PLV-70 into a 16:9 projector, but they do mention that the P75M will turn a projector into 16:9 on the same page where they list the PLV-70 as a supported projector.

--Darin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.