Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PANAMORPHS ARE SHIPPING!!

PANAMORPHS ARE SHIPPING!!

OK, let's gather up our set up findings and observations here so that us second pre-buy trolls can wallow in anticipation!

Dan Houck

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'd sure like to hear anyones thoughts or observations of distortion in the image. This appears as an out of focus horizontal line across the whole image. It's most easily seen on a window with a lot of text.

I'm realy hoping I'm the odd man here.

Chris

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
 My initial observations

I know more Panamorphs have shipped, why not more opinions?

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Funny, for months all we hear about is Panamorph. Now Sean is shipping and almost everyone is quiet.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
133 Posts
How many Panamorph P752s have shipped?

------------------

Jim Nissen

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok....

What is a panamorph?

------------------

-

Marantz SR-19

Marantz DV-7100

Energy Encore II

JVC 32PIP

looking for FP(LT-150)

Digital Cable Box

Aura Bass shakers

Eddy

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Eddy,

This is a Panamorph.

Chris

[This message has been edited by CCLAY (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
202 Posts
got my panny 752 on Tues, installed in about 5 min.

love what it does to the picture, but there are some

unanticipated (by me) issues regarding the picture-height vs aspect-ratio adjustment for my ceiling mounted Plus UP-1100.

it was not previously clear to me that the Cygnus calculator at http://www.cgns.com/Panamorph.htm assumes

your projector has no drop in the picture when mounted level. IE: The 752 lens works best if the top of your image is at the same height as your lens when mounted level.

While this must work great for D-ILA's, my projector produces a 4x3 image that is about 12" BELOW the lens when mounted level. (203" throw onto 49x87" greyhawk. the projector lens is about 6" below ceiling and top of native 4x3 image is about 18" below ceiling)

My projector (and many others, i'm sure) actually has what amounts to built-in NEGATIVE 4-5 degree tilt. So in order to get the right aspect ratio at the desired height, I must tilt my projector up (seems like more than 5 degress or so,) then tilt the panny down slightly to get in the ballpark.

this setup induces what i find to be too much keystone distortion. my picture is at least 1" wider at the top

than the bottom (1/2" each side). Of course i can mask this off, but until i actually had this thing in my hands and installed, i thought i would have minimal (if any) keystone distortion.

Has anyone else been 'surprised' this way? the whole point of the 752 was to provide a "down-shifted, correct aspect-ratio image be produced with no tilting of the projector." (quote from http://www.cgns.com/p751vp752.htm)

Unless i'm just not adjusting this thing correctly, this is

NOT the case and i'm sure others will find this same issue,

as there are many other folks with UP-1100's, clones, and other projectors with built-in picture drop when mounted level.

don't get me wrong, the picture is vastly improved in terms of brightness, sharpness and perceived contrast. i love it, but wish the keystone were not so bad...

fwiw: Shawn and i are corresponding regarding this issue and i don't mean to bash him, but i really thought i had anticipated how this thing would actually work with all the calculators, emails and posts to this forum. i'm somewhat disappointed to not have been able to get a grasp of it until i had the thing installed...

ok, that's enuf venting for now. just thought this might be instructive for folks with projectors like mine.

then again, maybe i'm just too dumb to have figured this out earlier OR arguably too intolerant of what others might consider 'minor' keystone distortion... you decide. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.