AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alas, the last several weeks of good reports got FUBAR’d by the assembly team. I apologize for not posting earlier in the week (and answering all the emails). This is a heavy travel time due to the interest in the Panamorph combined with INFOCOMM and all the other activities leading up to the fall season. When I arrived back this morning many of the units were so sloppily assembled that even some of the “Panamorph†engraving was covered with sealant and many units did not pass QC. Note that it’s not the components, it’s purely the familiarity of the assembly team in getting the job done right (and with good yields). They are working as we speak, even if it takes two hours per unit to make them happen. I will look at modifications to the follow-on batches to make it more assembly-friendly. Meanwhile, as soon as the team gets some consistent results with this first batch I’ll post an updated estimate. I apologize for the last minute snag.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Shawn, I know you're crazy busy, but is there any way you can get me an IMX Processor ASAP? I have sent emails and correspondence, but it sounds like you have been out of town. I really need to try the IMX with my new Sanyo PLV-60 before my trial period on the projector ends next week. I also need help, as per my email, re what model will likely fit the Sanyo.

P.S. Sorry for not sticking to the topic, gang, but I'm hoping this will be the quickest way to make contact with Shawn, since I assume he will be monitoring replies to this thread.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for the update, Shawn.

With your perfectionist tendencies, I'm sure glad that I'm a customer...and really glad that I'm not an employee!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Shawn,

Thanks for the heads up. I know you have a lot to live up to with your Panamorph and I know you would want the first impression to be the best one. I'm glad you are making sure everything is done right. I wish I could have my lens sooner, but this way I don't have to spend any time worrying about the quality of the lens itself.

·
Registered
410 Posts
"...many of the units were so sloppily assembled that even some of the “Panamorph†engraving was covered with sealant and many units did not pass QC. Note that it’s not the components, it’s purely the familiarity of the assembly team in getting the job done right (and with good yields)."

Mark, no problem send me one in kit form, I will assemble it with care.....somebody else wants his kit? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Federico

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
With Infocomm coming up next week, I don't expect delivery until its over.

Those of us going to Infocomm will probably get a first hand look.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for the update Shawn. The professionalism you continue to demonstrate on the forum is amazing. I would just like to add that if the product is anything like the man who designed it (and we all know that it is), then there will be a ton of happy Panamorph owners all over the world over the next few weeks.

And by all means take a Panamorph for show and tell. It's good to see that grade school traditions have a place in the modern business environment. I personally would have voted for nap time. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Or should I say, I HAVE voted for nap time at my company.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It would be great to see a Sanyo XP21N, a Panamorph, and a Greyhawk all doing the right stuff at Infococmm.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Shawn,

What, are you crazy ? Those babies would go in carry-on luggage only !

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I know he's busy, but I've e-mailed Shawn and asked him to answer these questions. Not trying to put him on the spot but this I think is important for those contemplating the 2.35:1 lens prebuy.

Will a 2.35 DVD be able to display correctly using the P1 lens? Correctly meaning image geometry and picture height, not full resolution or brightness.

If yes, then we'd still have an advantage over no Pannie at all on 2.35 material right? Just with less resolution and brightness compared to using the 2.35 lens, right?

If not, then why? Would it not compress the image to the proper geometry? Because we'd be trying to compress a stretched 2.35 image to a lens that was designed to compress stretched 16:9 material only?

Thanks. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Shawn,

If you want to bring a crate of Panamorphs to InfoComm with you, some of us can pick up our units and save you some shipping.

Just an idea...

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris,

2.35 DVD will work fine with Panamorph I as you stated. You will get the correct geometry. Because the image is a wider format than 16:9, you will still have some dark bars above and below the image. However, the 2.35 image you see will have the 33% boost in brightness and vertical resolution over the same movie in letterbox form.

Mark,

Consigning Panamorph units to baggage handlers makes me shiver. However, I'm thinking about being there on Friday for OEM show & tell. If there is interest and manufacturer consent we can converge on a booth and have a group demo.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Shawn,

Contact Don Stewart about using their booth for a demo. With the dozens of projector manufacturers around, I am sure that a 4:3 projector won't be a problem, but screens might be in shorter supply.

A Friday afternoon show-and-tell would be great!

PS - I agree that the Panamorph is "carry-on" baggage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.