AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few days since any panamorph discussion has made the front page of posts in this section of the forum. Does that mean that the second stratum of noisy customers has been silenced with shipments?

Shawn, you haven't posted in almost two weeks. Please keep the information coming directly from the source.

chris vandemore

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree, he won't learn that a simple post with the smallest information is better than nothing.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would imagine that it will take a while before people post. Since all I will have is my initial impression, I might as well go ahead and weigh in with that.

The one I ordered from Cellar Cinemas arrived damaged. It really, really leaked when turned upside down. It was damaged in shipment, since they checked it before it left and was OK. Fedex lost it for a few days, so no telling what happened to it, or who had it.

The lens seemed to work fine. I played recorded HDTV (Leno with some popular singer that I should know, but don't). It looks like I will be able to get an acceptable image. It was pretty good, (marginally acceptable keystoning) when I first tried it. The LT150 was angled down, and the Panamorph was angled by the paper plate that I placed it on, to catch the oil. I did not bother to tweak too much. I just made the heads look about the right proportion, and did not adjust the keystone at all.

I feel that it is worth waiting for. I was immediately taken by the image (the parts that were relatively unaffected by the oil, anyway). The text and texture of some of the newspaper articles (shown in another episode of Leno) were crisp and detailed. I looked at the test patterns that someone very graciously made for the HiPix card. Distortion (other than the keystoning mentioned above) was not apparent in any of them. I did not have the one with the circles, and did not bother to use AVIA or VE.

Cellar Cinemas has been great throughout this little Odessy of mine, and is going to issue a refund right when they get the lens back.

As for my panamorph pre-order, I'll just stay in line, as long as lenses keep trickling out, anyway.

I am not sure if the 752 would be worth the $1800 to me. Couldn't really say that until I was in that situation. I can say that it would be well worth the 1100 I paid in the pre-buy. I also think that it could find a spot in the HT's that are bought turn-key from an installer.

After having that unit in my hands, even under the oily conditions, I can say the lens performed well. It is a real product, and really works.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
846 Posts
Noah,

Since you have no projector, you'd be much better off giving that panamorph to me and taking my place in the waiting queue.

I mean, think of the downside:

1. You won't be able to partake in the next Shawn flamefest thread.

2. You might entirely miss the next excuse of why Panamorphs are delayed again.

3. The panamorph melts if not placed in front of a projector within 24 hours of its arrival.

I'm just trying to help you out here. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Les

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Well, I sent him email last week and he's been consistently blowing me off.

I'm getting pretty tired of it and am this >< far from pursuing legal action of some kind. I sent him another email on Sunday with a deadline for a reply tomorrow.

I have the deep suspicion he's just going to blow me off again. At which point I will be royally pissed as opposed to mildy annoyed...

Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.