AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The revised, Aluminum design is moving along well. I fully expect that production of these parts will begin next week some time, and that the finishing of production parts and assembly will begin the following week. My estimate is based on a) there will not be shrinkage or warpage issues with Aluminum, b) there should not be finish problems, c) the vendor is the same one who has already made the initial bracket parts (with the same finish), and d) since we’ve moved to an Aluminum bracket and Aluminum lens system, this program is big enough to be very motivating to the vendor. While it is a higher cost product and I have to make all new optics and procure other new components relative to the plastic design, I have high confidence that I’ll be happy with the build quality on this version. Note that these other components are already lined up, so I don’t anticipate these being a problem either.

The Aluminum design will actually be a slightly smaller product than the plastic approach. However, the actual aperture is substantially the same, so any pre-installation layout anyone has made using the previous information is still valid.

Although so many forum members have already pre-bought the Panamorph, I’ll post this here just in case there are some new folks. The $1,095 presale price will end on midnight, Saturday, May 5 and the new presale price will be $1,295. This new price will last for a short time (maybe a week or so) until the regular direct price of at least $1,495.00 goes into effect.

By the way, the plastics manufacturer thinks they might have something for me to look at this week, but they’ve been officially put on notice.

Thanks again for the continued support and patience.

Yours truly,

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

· Registered
4,070 Posts
Shawn, I'm in on the second prebuy. Will we be getting aluminum or plastic? Frankly I greatly prefer the former over the latter.

Dan

· Registered
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Kelly:
By the way, the plastics manufacturer thinks they might have something for me to look at this week, but they’ve been officially put on notice.

Could it be their sheepish faces?

· Registered
4,070 Posts

· Registered
2,314 Posts
I love these posts. I'm not a buyer, but it really is intriguing to watch Shawn air his process. If I was a buyer, I'm not sure if I'd be mad as hell for all the delays, or placated by the updates. Either way, I applaud Shawn for at least trying to keep his customers informed. Not sure I agree with his busines practices, but that's his call, not mine.

It's almost like driving by a car wreck, you don't want to look, but you just can't help it!

By the way, how late are these lenses from the original expected ship date?

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

· Registered
574 Posts
Thanks Shawn,

Oh so soon we will see new light from our projectors... I can't wait.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

· Registered
492 Posts
Shawn

This may be an obvious question to some, but to this mechanically challenged soul, it is a mystery.

I am on the list for the Panamorph, having participated in the pre-buy. I am getting the DWIN Transvision and expect delivery in several weeks. This means that the DWIN will be ready to be installed before the Panamorph is ready. I am having a local audio visual shop install the DWIN. My question is, can the DWIN be installed and the Panamorph added later with no major mechanical issues. Should I wait and install them together. Are there some schematics etc that are available and would be helpful to give to the installersnow, pre DWIN installation

My scenario does not include an enclosure, so there is space available on the ceiling in front of where the DWIN will be.

It's not an emergency to install the DWIN pre Panamorph, if the time frames between the two deliveries are likely to be small

Thanks in advance

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Steve,

Shawn is providing periodic updates at the request of all of the people who have preordered the Panamorph. This is something that he doesn't have to do, but it goes a long way toward making the wait more bearable.

It also happens to be the case that many of the delays have been the result of design improvements that were made after requesting feedback from the forum members. Overall, it has been a fascinating process that we are all hoping will come to its eventual end and produce a fantastic product.

· Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael,

You should not have any problem in installing the Dwin first since you have room in front of the projector to put the Panamorph. The only really detailed issue is whether you are going to opt to point the Dwin up so that the top of the 16:9 Panamorph image is at the level of the projection lens as some are thinking of doing. As long as you have some flexibility in tilting the projector, you preserve all options. However, so far most seem to be keeping the projector level and using Panamorph tilt, nominal screen location and possibly optical lens shifting (on some projectors) to position the image.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

· Registered
492 Posts
Shawn

Thanks for your prompt reply

I, as most truly appreciate your updates, and understand that unlike most new designs, you have the disadvantage of going through a new and complex design process in the "naked" environs of a public forum.

It would be foolish to rush the process at this stage and accept an inferior product to cut a few weeks off delivery time

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

· Registered
290 Posts
I know it has been asked before, but I did not see an answer posted:

Will one be able to use the Panamorph with the ATI player, and if so, what program can be used for the pre- stretch so the lens can work its magic?

· Registered
701 Posts
Sore Eyes,

You should be able to use YXY with the ATI player. I know they have a problem with the lock aspect ratio, but hopefully that will be fixed soon. I'm on the Panamorph list too, if that helps.

Chivs

· Registered
1,609 Posts
Hey Chivs,

Glad you're in the same boat as we are! I got the ATI player to display a stretched image vertically (perfect for Panamorph) using YXY, but it was completely by accident (you know, clicking back and forth too much, or something like that). It may even had been with a Non-anamorphic title, so that may not be saying much. In any case, I saw it with my own eyes, so it may even be possible with the 4.1 player. Good luck.

Carey

· Registered
6,092 Posts
I don't get it.

Doesn't the ATI player still have a 16X9 output option (i.e. tall skinny people). Back when I had my Radeon it did.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.