AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for a second week in a row things are still fairly on track. The first batch of machining is complete and we are waiting on anodizing. The long weekend may mean we won't get them for a couple days more, but first units should be assembled by Friday and cured over the weekend and to ready to ship beginning Monday.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yowzer!- It's hard to believe it's almost here. Sounds like things are definitely looking up Shawn. Thanks for the update.

While waiting, we have a list of all time favorite movies going in another thread. I'm going to compile them and post the results when they're all in. Maybe you could add the one you think the Pannie will do the most justice!

thanks again

ken

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Shawn,

I emailed you a question about a week ago and never received a response, so I will try it here.

If the lens lowers the image by lets say 8 inches, what is the starting point. For example the Dila projects out on the screen starting in the middle of the projectors lens. Now thats easy, the image will now start 8 inches below that starting point. Now I am getting the Dwin and it projects the image 8 inches below the projector lens. So the question is, does the panny lens lower the image starting at the lens or does it lower the image 8 iches below where the original image projected. In other words will i see the image 8 inches below the lens or 16 inches below the lens.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humey, the downward shift of the Panamorph begins from the top of the native 4:3 image. So if your native image top is 8" below the lens to start with, the 16:9 top will be lowered by the Panamorph from that point if no additional tilt is applied to either the projector or Panamorph. If 8" is what you calculate as the Panamorph shift, then the top of your image should be 16" below the lens.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
574 Posts
It looks like next week, Shawn's note will read, "Panamorph ships!"

Again, I can't wait to see it in action.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 5/25/01

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shawn

Do you have a guesstimate on the #of lenses that will be produced and shipped per week.

Also how many pre orders are there.

I could be more to the point, and simply ask about how long it will take to fill already existing orders.

Thanks in advance

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Shawn,

I know that this is here somewhere, but search is off and on: can you describe why the Panamorph lowers/raises the image again please?

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
thanks Shawn,

thats all I needed to know. Talked to Jeff at Dwin and was told that its already set up to use the lens. The projector has three settings 4x3 16x9 and 16x9a. You use 16x9a when using the panny lens. It preprogrammed to stretch and reverse stretch automatically depending if your source is 16x9 or 4x3. Of course, since they dont have a production model yet, I hope they programmed it correctly. Again thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael, all backorders (as of today) will be filled in the next 50-60 days.

Manny, the Panamorph shifts the image top down because, well, that's what nature is saying it wants to do for best performance if the projector is level. In general, the bottom comes up as well. Note that the projector can be tilted slighty to compensate for this shift.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Humey,

I just received my Dwin TransVision. I have a Panny on pre-order and was wondering about your conversation with Dwin. My unit has 3 modes - 4x3, anamorphic and letterbox. Are these what he was referring to? I'd be interested in any information you could provide in helping me "prep" for my Panny arrival.

Thanks in advance.

-jeff-

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Manny,

The Panamorph lens has to shift the image because it's

a triangular prism.

In order to have zero up/down shift at the bottom/top, the

light path would have to go straight through the prism,

with no refraction.

But since no two surfaces of a triangular prism are

parallel - there will always be some refraction.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Shawn,

How about posting the list of pre-orderees and the sequence in which they'll ship ? We can watch people turn green with envy as they see how many are ahead of them on the list. I'm afraid with all the rounds of pre-orders people may not understand where in that 50-60 day range their unit will actually ship.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah it would be nice to have a feel for when my particular lens will come.

Thx,

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Thanks Gregory and Shawn.

I have another question that I think I may have asked before, but it still puzzles me: Given that the exit angle from the source beam is, or could be, known, is there a reason that the Panamorph could not have been constructed such that the top/bottom of the squeezed image would be the same as the top/bottom of the unpanamorphed 4:3 image? This would simplify switching between these two modes (i.e., the tilt of the projector would not require adjustment, the Panamorph would simply be moved aside).

Thanks!

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shawn,

Please give us an idea of where we are in the 50-60 day shipping window. As I am in the Navy, I will be going on patrol soon and will be out to sea for nearly three months. If I am early on in the 50-60 day queue, no problem. However, if I am closer to the end, I have to make new shipping arrangements so my highly anticipated Panamorph doesn't sit on my front porch waiting for someone to take it while I'm away.

-robert

------------------

"Of Course I'm at home. I'm un-cool."

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All customers will be contacted prior to shipment to confirm shipping address, instructions, etc. All will also be emailed with tracking numbers when the shipments go out.

It would be a lot of overhead to provide a detailed list of anticipated shipping dates to be continuously updated. However, hopefully the following will help:

Ordered before November 30 - ship prior to June 26.

Ordered before March 1 - ship prior to July 15.

Remaining orders - ship prior to August 1.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Manny, Greg is fundamentally right - the need to refract light to squeeze the image won't give us the option of squeezing to a desired location without accepting a decrease in performance. The Panamorph actually uses multiple prism elements as well as cylindrical surfaces to do what it does, but nature provides the limitations.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Greg and Shawn,

Thanks for the patience. It's been a while (OK, many years) since I studied optics. I remember asking once before if tilting of the Panamorph in the opposite direction, but equal distance, as one would tilt one's projector would create the same image while raising the image. I thought that this was a silly question at the time but to my surprise the answer was no. Why?

Thanks again!

------------------

Our Silent Angels

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.