AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initial testing will be completed today on the Aluminum prototypes. Production of the Aluminum housing components will begin Thursday. The Aluminum version is significantly more expensive because the components actually take hours to machine each set, but I think the difference in quality will justify this. In any case, the current vendor is happily staying on track! My current estimate on initial shipments is in about two weeks.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Groovy!

------------------

"Of Course I'm at home. I'm un-cool."

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Two weeks until shipment and another four to five days in transit should get my Panamorph to my door right before my birthday. It will be like Christmas and my birthday all rolled up into one. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/redface.gif

Seriously though, it sounds like the machined parts are turning out well enough to move right into production. I suppose that Shawn will be keeping SN 0001 for himself. I wonder who will get 0002???

Once again, many thanks Shawn for keeping us all up to date.

JoeFloyd

[This message has been edited by JoeFloyd (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Gladiator in June on HBO?!

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I regret my two weeks estimate, let me say that this is based on an assumption that no other problems evolve such as material shortages, vendor emergencies, unfavorable acts of God, etc. I'll be a lot more comfortable with the estimate when the machines are actually running the parts. With all the delays so far I'm sure I'm at least as skeptical as many others out there. But here's to hoping!

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
574 Posts
Shawn, Things are finally looking up - with the quality and overall finish of the part as well. I can't wait to see this thing in action...

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
The Aluminum version is significantly more expensive because the components actually take hours to machine each set
You're kidding I hope. It sounds like modern high speed machining is not being used. I would think a machine with a high speed spindle (40,000 RPM) or greater and a fast control would have to do better then that.

I would like to take a look at that job myself. Sounds interesting.

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't frequent the DLP forum often. What is a panamorph?

[This message has been edited by LJG (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Once upon a time there was a man named Shawn Kelly. He wooed the IHTB (Insane Home Theater Bonehead) community with his vision of a magical projector lens. This lens would transform 4:3 anamorphic DVD images into beautiful, yet squeezed, high contrast 16:9 visions.

Unfortunately for Shawn he met up with a supreme evil force known as *manufacturers*. The manufacturers lied and used unscrupulous tricks in order to thwart Shawn's vision.

To this day, Shawn, reluctant to be denied his conquest, fights back against the forces of evil, and relays his adventures to the IHTB community on a relatively weekly basis.

So tune in next week (or so) for the next edition of Shawn and the Little Lens That Could!

--Les

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Arrow,

Are we watching the prequel right now?

What episode are we currently watching?

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Trevorone,

The Panamorph lens is going to take the image and change

its aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 by decreasing the

height and leaving the width alone. The Panamorph "lens"

is actually a prism.

An anamorphic picture will thus be corrected to its true

aspect ratio. If the picture is non-anamorphic, then it

will be distorted - people will look short and fat.

Of course, you can always pre-process the non-anamorphic

picture to make it anamorphic. Either way, what comes

out of the projector going into the Panamorph has to be

a vertically stretched anamorphic picture if you want the

output to look normal.

Greg

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Shawn,

Make my day and tell us that you are on schedule and shipping will commence next week.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
100 Posts
Morpheous,

Okay - I`m with it, but assuming you can change the ratio of the image (anamorphic or not)so that is output as "tall and skinny", the panny will squish it back down -yes?

So my Sim200 has 3 user definable aspect ratios - for the non-anamorphic (and anamorphic)dvds, wouldn`t I just define the ratio as 4:3 (to use the whole of the native panel)? the panny then does the rest.

I guess it will be obvious when using it - but am I wrong here ?

Also, for PAL dvds - it will allow full 576p, yes ?

thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.