·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Cygnus website

"Temperature 65to80F(18to27C)optimal

0to120F(-18to49C)maximum"

From Ghibliss

"Your projector is definitely running too hot if it is at 50 Celsius (approximately 122 degrees Fahrenheit). Many individuals are running their projectors in hushboxes at approximately 85 degrees"

My impression is that most hushbox users are experiencing internal temperatures above 80 degrees F.

How tolerant is the panamorph to operating at high temperatures?

What types of image distortion will occur?

Can the hushbox be redesigned to isolate the panamorph from the projectors exhaust?

Must the panamorph be used outside the hushbox?

If the panamorph is to be used outside the hushbox will the image spot size become an issue?

From the cygnus website

"The vertical size of the light spot should be measured at the position where the Panamorph lens entrance aperture is to be mounted, typically as close to the end of the projector lens as possible. The light spot may be more easily measured by projecting a full image of the desired width at the desired screen distance and then inserting a piece of paper into the position of the entrance aperture. The maximum vertical height of the measured input spot is 2 1/8" (54mm)."

Right now my projector is at JVC for repair so can someone check to see how far from the lens front the image spot size reaches 2 and 1/8th inches?

Another issue hopefully minor is that for those of us that are going to use panamorph I and II, while one lens is being used, at least on my G-15, the other lens may block the ir port.

Lets hope we get some answers so we can start planning.

Rick McGee

[This message has been edited by rick e (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
David

I think engineering the hushbox to encompass the 2 panamorphs is doable for certain installations where the front of the hushbox is accessible. One would need to construct a box at least 3 times the width of the panamorph plus material thickness and have the front glass extend the width of the box and flip down or up to access the panamorph slide.

In the case of G-xx owners one would also need to make a plenum that mated with the exhaust side of the G-15 to route the hot air out of the hushbox. This plenum would need to be about 6" deep and connect directly to the outside possibly via ducting. www.lindabusa.com makes some interesting sound attenuating ducting.

Clearly mounting the panamorph outside the hushbox would be easier but the sound attenuation may be reduced if the entire dila lens isn't captured within the hushbox. One would have to determine if this is acceptable.

Rick McGee

[This message has been edited by rick e (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Rick

Nothing is impossible but I am trying not to have something that is too big and bulky. My thoughts are to automate the lens swap and program it automatically.

Something like the Autron rack and pinion system but of course smaller. If it is a manual system I will mount the two lenses out of the hush box.

DavidW

·
Registered
340 Posts
Rick,

This is a good question, and I hope Shawn has an answer.

I've been waiting to build a hushbox until I have the

Panamorph. I've been hoping that it will work outside

the hushbox.

As for measuring the spot size, that will depend on your

throw distance, so not everyone will get the same answer.

An important thing to remember when making this measurement

is to put the projector in 4:3 mode first. I haven't

done this yet, but I will try to do it tonight and post

tomorrow.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You definitely can not get the Panamorph hot as the oil will change viscosity and thus change its light path

properties. At CES show Seleco had the exhaust circulating back onto the Panamorph and the image was

distorting and going blurry. This is a setup issue. It needs to be addressed.

I am facing the hush box drama as well. I have built a rubber sealed 2 1/2" square RHS box that seals onto

my exhaust to stop my hush box heating up. This exhaust box section has two 2" steel tubes that go into the

ceiling. My mount will hold the projector but the lens will be outside the hush box because I intend to run both

the 1:78 and the 2:35 Panamorph's.

It might take some engineering to put the Panny in a hush box and control the heat. It will also mean the 1:33

bypass slide will be pointless.

DavidW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.