AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying unsuccessfully for almost a month now to get a reply from Cygnus about a refund. I asked for my money back almost a month ago several times. It seems I am just being ignored. At first I didn't want to make this public to the forum because I wished the company no harm with all the problems they have had. Now I don't care. I either want my money back or I want Cygnus to fold, or both.

Has anyone else here been successful in getting a refund?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have you tried emailing Shawn directly [[email protected]] ?

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Have you already received the product or are you still waiting? I understand that Cygnus has a 30-day return policy on the Panamorph. Does anybody know if that is correct?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Randall,

I have had the same issue. I have emailed Shawn three times since my preorder (May 2001), and still have yet to receive the refund. I didn't mind before the Panamorphs started to ship, but now there should be some time to deal with customer service issues.

KeithR

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no doubt that he knows. He responded that he would take care of this in another thread. I doubt anyone will see a refund.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Shawn emailed me to tell me I was still on the list, and he did that promptly...but then again I wasnt asking for a refund.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
496 Posts

I've been following this Panamorph fiasco for many months now, and it's clear to me that Cygnus (Shawn) has acted extremely unprofessionally. Indeed, I cannot imagine ANY small manufacturer treating his customers with such contempt (sorry, but that's how I see it).

Ok, he's busy. Ok, he's small. Ok, he means well and is a nice guy. But none of these excuses what appear to be unforgivable lapses in business judgement and, for that matter, courtesy.

Overall, the words "mail fraud" come to mind.

- Marc

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Randall, I'm not sure why this has come up. When you first mentioned this on the forum we began a direct email dialogue resulting in your refund which the credit card company confirms. If you have no confirmation of this on your end, please email me directly so that I can provide you with the information.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Wow, interesting, sounds like there might be a miscommunication or an error on someone's part. In any event, sure sounds like something different than "mail fraud," "jacking around" customers, etc. Perhaps people should hold their tongues until we know all the facts.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm glad Randall got his refund.

Now for an off-topic whine....

I WANT MY PANAMORPH!!! OR PANAMORPH PRO...OR PANAMORPH PHASE II OR PANAMORPH JR OR whatever the newest name o' the day for the panamorph may be. Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Thank you for listening.

--Les

·
Registered
496 Posts

I have no dog in this fight, but there is no denying that responses to Panamorph issues appear to be forthcoming only when pressure is applied. In my mind, the kindest explanation for this behavior is ineptitude (in terms of business communications). Not a strong selling point, IMO.

- Marc

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only contact I have had from Cygnus is through this forum. Nobody has e-mailed or contacted me from Cygnus. I will check with my credit card company and post here if there has been a refund or not.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just be glad you're not part of the 169Time pre-buy scam. At least Cygnus is actually shipping a real product. Check out the HDTV Recorders section if you're not familiar with this...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, bad customer service, while still annoying, is a far cry from fraud. As someone who may eventually be interested in getting a Panamorph, I would be interested to know exactly what has been happening here.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I hope that your credit card has indeed been refunded. Sometimes this is a stalling tactic. You have to check with the credit card company who then ask when was it credited. You then have to try to find out when the merchant supposedly did this. So you wait a few days, and nothing. Finally, you conclude that no credit has been issued. The seller claims innocent and says the doesn't know what has happened and will try again. This can allow the seller to stall for a few weeks by not returning e-mails. I don't know if this is happening here. It could be a simple mistake. But this tactic has been used on me before. Good luck. Seems like a great product with promise. It's hard being a small business though and this could be a simple mistake.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
I have emailed Cygnus a few different times in regards to when my pannie is shipping and had a response within a short # of hours. Their service, while not the best, has been very good(And I don't have my lens yet). Yea communication should be better but we don't know the internal workings of the company.

Not a zealot just a person who opperates a small business and also a forgiving person.

Scott

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If distribution through Stewart is accomplished this should help demonstrably. I must say that I have received prompt responses from shawn about a personal installation issue (no fault of the product).

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
180 Posts
It does seem strange that some people get good and sometimes better than good service and others seem to have their emails unanswered regularly. Although I hated the wait I have never had a problem getting a response to any of my concerns. In fact over the course of this deal I have at least 20 emails sent and returned (most within one day). And even now that I have received my Panamorph (works great with a Dila)they have responded quickly to a concern I had and made it right almost immediately. Are we all sending our emails to the same address?

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that Cygnus has credited the charges back to my card. If they had just e-mailed me and told me that it was done then this would have been avoided.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.