AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since the Digital projector forum has been totally hijacked by this topic, here's a fun way for us to show where we stand on this issue.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Tryg,

I am guessing your answer was:

"I'm just addicted to the drama..."

You seem to participate in these threads alot, for someone who purports that the issue is less than appropriate for the forum.

Quote:
Ok since the Digital projector forum has been totally hijacked by this topic...
If that is your real perception, IMHO the best way to get your forum back is to not respond to (let alone initiate and instigate) the threads and polls. If it is a panamorph thread, just don't read it.

Even though I checked this forum regularly from October 2000, I did not know what a panamorph was until the end of May, 2001. I read one post early on, which did not really describe the product very well. I did not yet have a PJ, and from what I read, it looked like the topic would not be of interest to me until I had selected one. I just did not bother to read any of the posts until then.

You love this topic. You love reading the posts. You love being able to comment on it. You love the whole mess.

Please don't pretend to have any other motives. You just embarrass yourself and stir things up unnecessarily.

Oh yeah, I forgot. You are the saviour of all by sharing "helpful information." :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Come on Doug, lighten up. These turkeys are in to me for nearly $900 but so what. I wasn't in the WTC on September 11. I live in "to die for" New Mexico where the sun shines every day. I'm still crazy about my wife after 25 years. My kids turned out great. Panamorph, Smanamorph, it's trivial as s*** compared to the things that count.

BTW, I voted for "love the drama".

ROTFLMAO

:D

Dan

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Dan,

What a fantastic way to look at life! I'm really glad that you said that. Really glad.

To Tryg's defense...he really has been "warning" folks since mid-summer about the possibility of this end. Since he was quickly dismissed by everyone at the time, I suppose he earned a little "I tried to tell you"...but ONLY a little :D.

Remember at the end of it all, we're still all friends here and really just very serious about our entertainment!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well thanks, Mark, and let me say I've always enjoyed your positive attitude as well. Your new wife is a lucky person particularly since she can ALWAYS count on having the latest and greatest HT technology. Even if she doesn't want it! :D

Let's all remember the opera isn't over until the fat lady sings.

Dan

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I did mark "addicted to the drama". I'm guilty:D

However, I seam to to be in good company :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori
Dan,

To Tryg's defense...he really has been "warning" folks since mid-summer about the possibility of this end. Since he was quickly dismissed by everyone at the time, I suppose he earned a little "I tried to tell you"...but ONLY a little :D.

Sorry no! I agree with Shodog.

People with no vested interest should butt out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I apologize if it reads like I came down hard on Tryg.

There really isn't any emotional load in my message. I am not mad, upset, nor irate. The posts just motivated me to share my thoughts.

Tryg has posted many messages counseling Panamorph pre-buyers. I am just returning the favor. ;) Maybe that doesn't look very nice?

You are right Dan. This is no Titanic. (Oops, there I go again) ;)

I would be out about 2.5 times your investment, and would feel very much the same as you, if the deal does go totally bad.

I have a good life. The real waste would be if I wasted any happiness on this ordeal.

I believe the lenses will get built eventually, one way or another. I have seen many startups of many plants. I am no longer surprised by things getting done, despite serious mistakes. I generally get called when it really is time to clean things up.

The least helpful thing is finger pointing and dramatization. Believe it or not, a few months ago someone actually started a meeting by comparing a small issue to being devoured by the Stay-Puft Marshmellow man, a la Ghostbusters. :) The issue became untouchable after that. It took three months to get worked out, and is still not tested. Two corporate divisions were involved, on three continents. It should have only taken two man-days and a couple of contract employees. Still isn't such a big deal, since other contractors are so pitifully behind that....

Similarly, my HT is starving for me to fulfill the hobbiest part of my obligation to it, that not having the Panamorph isn't really that big of a deal for me.

Tryg can post what he wants, and I have not read a single one of his posts that I think should be removed.

That does not mean that a balancing comment or two is not appropriate. The Stay-puft marshmellow man is not coming to get us. :)

He questions pre-buyers judgement and motives all the time.

None of his solutions are really solutions, merely activities. A run on refunds would get nothing. Legal action will not yield anything constructive, IMHO. Getting excited and worked up is not constructive either, unless one just revels the excitement.

When I placed my order in May, I did not really expect to see the lens until November. It was still in development. Now all he needs is money. He will get it one way or another.

Selling lenses is just one way. We aren't as large a part of the market as we think we are.

The poll is actually fine, IMHO. I am really commenting more on his contributions to this topic as a whole. I am not angry, and I actually like Tryg, from the overall impression I have from his posts on this forum.

I do think he is getting caught up in the drama.

I will admit to doing the same, from time to time. But don't worry about me, Dan. I am about as Type B as one can get.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I admit it. I'm a Panamorph thread lurker myself.

I don't post much on the P*morph threads, because of my very odd experience with the unit.
  • At first, I really didn't want one, and I pre-ordered late (and spent more).
  • I bought it just to support Dilard anamorphic compression questions and to create the "mod" that I had been explaining was going to be possible with the D-ILA projectors. I was planning on selling it after my work was done, as I wasn't going to ruin my "stealth" installation with the Panamorph.
  • For reasons completely unknown to me, one day I received a package at the front door...
  • Since none of my Dilard customers had one, I didn't have any questions about anamorphic compression. It also looked like they were coming out slowly.
  • Frankly, I was broke right after the wedding and needed the money. I sold it right after getting it. I never did create the mods I had planned to do.
  • A few months later we get to this situation.

I feel quite guilty about how that went down. If anyone should not have received one, it should have been me. I didn't even have a use for it to begin with, and bought it for selfish reasons. I sold it for even more selfish reasons (to pay Honeymoon bills). I sold it for right about what I bought it for.

I wish that one more Panamorph pre-order person would have gotten mine. That would have been a little more fair, looking at the big picture.

Anyway, I stay out of the Panamorph threads (except this one), knowing full well how unpopular I probably am, being shipped out-of-order and all. I really hope that there is a happy ending to this story.

By the way, for the record, I have no idea why I received one. I wasn't a squeaky wheel, an ugly thug or even a big tipper. :D

However, I am a frequent AVS poster, and I was going to make some Dilard mods using the Pannie. Those are the only reasons I could think of for receiving it when I did. I feel guilty now for not keeping it. :(

Anyway, this will probably be my last post in a Panamorph thread. I just don't feel my situation will settle well with those folks waiting. It's really not fair...and I know it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
All of a sudden this thread is turning into some sorf to catharsis event. Where's Oprah when you need her? :D

I believe this is my fist post on the whole Panamorph saga, and like Mark, I plan on it being my last.

I'll probably read all of the posts about it, though. At least until I finally pick up a proj and then go bury myself in a stack of DVDs.

-phil

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd do it again, I think....

I got lucky and recieved one of the units at the $600 price. I purchased my place on the "list" from another person. I was willing to lose my $600, I wasn't ready to go for a $1000 loss though.

The Panamorph really does exist and it really does produce a fine image. Sure there are delivery issues (heck I may have a unique piece of HT equipment).

If the delivery issues (ie money matters) can be cleared up between the various parties, more of the units could be had. This could even be a great openning for the "right" company to come in and rescue the whole mess. This takes $$$ and guts.

Pity that Stewart or some other high profile, high customer oriented company hasn't stepped in. If I was in Shawn's shoes I'll be happy to get out with my name/reputation in some shape (ok, this is certainly getting late for this, but this very scenario may have fallen through at the last moment and left him in really ugly situation). I tend to want to think the best of people and this forum isn't easy on even the best execution plans.

I pre-purchased Dilard and that has proven to be a great move. I'll probably get the new DVD s/w too. I hope thing work out for the unlucky ones.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
What did gongshow add to every conversation in which s/he partook? Absolutely nothing positive.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
What did gongshow add to every conversation in which s/he partook?
Comic relief ???

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, I'm not sure if you need to have a "vested" interest in this topic to participate. After all, the poll does show that more people are in it for the drama than an actual participant. If I read it correctly. Dissenting points of view are healthy, especially if humorous too. So technically everyone is vested.

As far as the gongmaster goes, how can I provoke him/her to gong me? I guess I need to see some gongshows to learn a good strategy.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I thought that I was going to get a gong when I suggested that Gongshow might be Chuck Barris himself. No gong came, though. Does that mean...??? :)

I don't disagree with others posting about the panamorph, nor following the ordeal with interest. Hell, we have paid a chunk of change, if people get a little entertainment out of it, at least that is something good. :)

Everything is best in moderation, though.

Best Regards,

Doug

PS, I don't think that Mark should feel bad about the panamorph he received. He had no control over the situation, and his decision to liquidate to fund a honeymoon was the right one, given the info he had.

SInce he received one, it is reasonable for him to have thought the pipeline was flowing, and all would have had them quickly.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was easy... now, where do I get my membership card to this exclusive club. Or, do you just print out a copy of the thread you were gonged in and carry it around with you!?!

BTW I just noticed that someone marked "what's a panamoph?" maybe it was gongshow?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hey gongshow!!!

I think that the value of being gonged just dropped a good bit by you giving Tryg an easy gong.

So maybe you should think a little more before giving out a cheap gong eh?

:p

Cameron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.