AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have many questions on this subject so here it goes. The reason I like this projector is the high lumen output, good performance and low price.

1. Is there a specific one for this projector (lens)?

2. What aspect ratio would the projector be if I got one, as in would it fit a 16:9 screen perfectly?

3. Should I just go with something like an optoma h30 instead?

4. Whats the lumen output in video mode?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
3,289 Posts
1. Not that I know of. Might need a universal one like the Panamorph U15 but why?

2. 4:3.

3. I think the Optoma would be an advantage because it has a faster wheel and RGBRGB.

4. Of what? the Optoma or Benq?

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the lens was to change 4:3 to 16:9?

and the fourth question was referring to the 6100.

A few other questions, does the optoma support 480i through its vga signal?

Is the optoma by default a 16:9 projector or a 4:3?

· Registered
3,289 Posts
oh i read that ques wrong..yes you project 4:3 into the morph and get 16:9 out.

The H30 is a 4:3 pj. I think you should search in the H30 thread for some answers.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
The PB6100 is a short throw projector. Due to the optical geometry, many short throw projectors tend to experience more distortion of the image and possibly more separation of the colors with anamorphic lenses. It might work okay, but you should do some more research into the tradeoffs before pulling the trigger for a specific model.

I vaguely remember a discussion about this here, you might want to check the projector forum archives.

· Registered
168 Posts
I thought that the 6100 is a long throw projector, at least more of a long throw than the x1 is (and I think that there are x1 users that use the panamorph).

Everybody complains how 6100 projects a smaller image at the same distance, this is a property of a long throw projector, it does not throw a big image compared to a short throw projector at the same distance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

· Registered
2,127 Posts
Have you bought the projector yet? If so are you planning on buying both the projector and the lens at the same time and comparing that price to other projectors without the lens? If that is the case. I would strongly say invest more money on the projector upfront and not buy the Panamorph lens. The Panamorph is more for users who already own an projector and don't want the hassle of buying another projector; selling the old projector; buying a new mount etc.... You are better off getting an XGA projector over a SVGA projector with Panamorph. If you want to spend that kind of money, You should look at the Infocus 4805 which is already a wide screen projector. This is my opinion as one who already owns a Panamorph.

The Panamorph may or may not work on future projectors depending on the throw ratios of the future projectors you are planning on buying. Panamorphs have slight and sometimes not slight comprimises in getting its effects to work. Owning a Panamorph for the first time, I did not know this when purchasing one. If I knew what I know now, there is no way I would have purchased the Panamorph lens.

Based on the quality of their products, I don't see them being in business a year or two from now.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
Have you bought the projector yet? If so are you planning on buying both the projector and the lens at the same time and comparing that price to other projectors without the lens? If that is the case. I would strongly say invest more money on the projector upfront and not buy the Panamorph lens. The Panamorph is more for users who already own an projector and don't want the hassle of buying another projector; selling the old projector; buying a new mount etc.... You are better off getting an XGA projector over a SVGA projector with Panamorph. If you want to spend that kind of money, You should look at the Infocus 4805 which is already a wide screen projector. This is my opinion as one who already owns a Panamorph.

The Panamorph may or may not work on future projectors depending on the throw ratios of the future projectors you are planning on buying. Panamorphs have slight and sometimes not slight comprimises in getting its effects to work. Owning a Panamorph for the first time, I did not know this when purchasing one. If I knew what I know now, there is no way I would have purchased the Panamorph lens.

Based on the quality of their products, I don't see them being in business a year or two from now.
Thanks that helps. As do the other reply's, and I'm gonna skip on the lens and get probably an optoma h30 as I can get a better deal on that then the 4805.

· Registered
481 Posts
I am sorry to hijack this thread, but I posted this question on a new thread but no answers.

Can someone tell me what's the image offset for the 6100?

Thanks

Ken

· Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
I believe the H30 has a lens mask that can "convert" the H30 from full screen to widescreen. I don't own the H30, but I think that is true. I would check into it.
The lens mask comes with the projector and is intended to reduce lightspill. It does not affect the H30's ability to (scale and) display 1080i, 720p or 480p. Note that the H30 is 800x600 and can't do 480P natively so you get scaled down 800x450, instead of 854x480.

If the majority of your viewing is widescreen (DVD or HDTV), get the Infocus 4805. If you watch a significant amount of 4:3 (gaming perhaps, SDTV), get the H30.

· Registered
725 Posts
Better yet, buy a 6200, and build your own anamorphic lens.

Google DIY anamorphic, the one with 2 oil prisms (Slize build) is a cool project for about 50$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.