AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I notied that if I turn on on my hs350 the "Colour night view" option, I can NOT turn on the

Intelligent contrast control

Backlight compensation

Picture control (color/exposure/bright)

if I turn off the Colour night view and I stay in manual function, I have control over the

Intelligent contrast control

Backlight compensation

If I instead turn ON the Intelligent auto mode

I have control over the

Backlight compensation

but I can NOT turn on the Colour night view and I can NOT

use the Intelligent contrast control and I do not have control over the Picture control (color/exposure/bright)

Can u pls tell me if

the IA Low light is the same as Colour night view ?

I mean when the IA goes in low light mode, can he reach the same low lux as the Colour night view reaches ?

Is there any workaround to activate the

contrast control

Backlight compensation

when the "Colour night view" option is set to ON ?

Thank you

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19643051

....Can u pls tell me if

the IA Low light is the same as Colour night view ?

I mean when the IA goes in low light mode, can he reach the same low lux as the Colour night view reaches ?

Is there any workaround to activate the

contrast control

Backlight compensation

when the "Colour night view" option is set to ON ?

Thank you

The answer is no to both questions.

The IA mode will only slow down shutter speed to 1/30 (1/25 PAL), provided that "Auto Slow Shttr" in set to "on", otherwise it will not go below 1/60 (1/50 PAL).

In "Color Night Rec" mode, the shutter speed can go as low as 1/4 to maximize light sensitivity at the expense of extremely choppy motion and trailing artifacts, but all manual controls of iris, white balance, shutter speed, or Intelligent contrast will be disabled.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19644665

The answer is no to both questions.

The IA mode will only slow down shutter speed to 1/30 (1/25 PAL), provided that "Auto Slow Shttr" in set to "on", otherwise it will not go below 1/60 (1/50 PAL).

In "Color Night Rec" mode, the shutter speed can go as low as 1/4 to maximize light sensitivity at the expense of extremely choppy motion and trailing artifacts, but all manual controls of iris, white balance, shutter speed, or Intelligent contrast will be disabled.

Is this going to happen also in the tm700 ?

Do u know how the backlight comensation works ? What I mean is, what changes , exposure , sharpness ecc.... what it changes ?

thank you

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19645610

Is this going to happen also in the tm700 ?

Do u know how the backlight comensation works ? What I mean is, what changes , exposure , sharpness ecc.... what it changes ?

thank you

The info I wrote is based on the TM700, but applies to many other Panasonic models also.

When in IA mode (automatic), selecting backlight compensation works by first trying to automatically lower shutter speed, when it reaches 1/60 (1/50 PAL) it will try to open the iris a few f-stops, and if it is already fully open (low light condition) then the gain will go up (increasing noise level also).

In manual mode, if shutter speed is fixed and iris is fixed also, then it will be disabled (grayed out and unavailable). Backlight compensation affects exposure, in order to bring underexposed subjects being lit from the back to a more acceptable exposure level, but at the expense of overexposing the background.

Note: "Intelligent contrast" can be used effectively for mild backlit situations with better results, since it will not over-expose the background, as opposed to Backlight compensation.

And before you ask, Intelligent Contrast (also known as Dynamic Range Stretch in professional models) works by selectively boosting the gain of underexposed areas of the picture without touching the correctly exposed ones.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for all these info.

They are all very interesting.

I have another question pls.

If I would like to try to emulate on my sony xr550, the strong backlight compensation that my panasonic hs350 has, how can I do ?

I set usually :

low light ON

ae shift = +4

wb shift= 0

Do u have any suggestion please ?

What I could change to white out the surrounding of an object...

I usually shot subjects that have strog sun light coming from behind, so the subject get underexposed, and looking dark..

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts