AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how the new panasonic plasmas are going to be compared with the current pioneer kuro plasmas? i think i saw the 2008 panasonic plasmas are going to have a 30,000:1 contrast ratio. that seems pretty nice.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres a picture of the new pioneer. i might have to wait now...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The KURO's are pretty impressive not just for their black levels/contrast but their fantastic processing.

I'm a panasonic fan but have ruled them out UNLESS they will have improved processing this next year.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hope the new panasonics come out this spring, cuz i now want to see their blacks and how it compares with that new kuro. but then again, those new kuro tv are probly a few years away.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The Panasonic's won't be head and shoulders over the Kuro series, but will better given the market prices. Most manufacturer's will start producing contrast ratio numbers on plasmas over 30,000:1, just to attract buyers.

Chris

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
even though they say 30,000:1, that has to be a little better than the 5000:1, even though that 30,000:1 is probly dynamic contrast

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
manufacturer's published contrast ratio numbers border on worthless...

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw /forum/post/12862659

http://gizmodo.com/341434/battlemodo...-ever-and-wins

The reason that pic is that exaggerated is because the shutter speed was different (very long). Its not like that in person at all; talk to anyone who went to CES and saw it with their eyes and they'll say the same thing.

It's a ploy...shame on Pioneer (yes, I own a Kuro).

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/12865594

The Panasonic's won't be head and shoulders over the Kuro series, but will better given the market prices. Most manufacturer's will start producing contrast ratio numbers on plasmas over 30,000:1, just to attract buyers.

Chris

Did they improve their processor? Will the blacks be as black as the kuro's?

·
Registered
777 Posts
The native is stated at 30,000:1 and about 1,000,000:1...Contrast ratios are not a set standard so it really means nothing...The only way to know is compare them when they come out...

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/12866413

The reason that pic is that exaggerated is because the shutter speed was different (very long). Its not like that in person at all; talk to anyone who went to CES and saw it with their eyes and they'll say the same thing.

It's a ploy...shame on Pioneer (yes, I own a Kuro).

I agree the picture exaggerates the difference but blaming Pioneer for a photo taken by gizmodo is really not fair.
(unless my sarcasm radar is way off)

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/12862696

The KURO's are pretty impressive not just for their black levels/contrast but their fantastic processing.

I'm a panasonic fan but have ruled them out UNLESS they will have improved processing this next year.

I saw the Kuros finally along with the 6010. In spite settings didn't seem optimized at all, they showed superior processing and made "every" other plasma look mediocre by comparison.

I've decided to wait it out until I can afford the Kuro or even an Elite. Even if I could purchase the Panasonic 700U series or Samsung sets for $600 it would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I'd like to see what Panasonic does with regard to processing, obviously htere's going to be some changes but how will they manifest themselves?

At this point I'm leaning towards the 5080 or dare I say it the XBR4 LCD (which looks fantastic IMO and has blacks on par with current panasonics but not the 08s)

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemak /forum/post/12871737

I agree the picture exaggerates the difference but blaming Pioneer for a photo taken by gizmodo is really not fair.
(unless my sarcasm radar is way off)

I think they probably wanted it that way, though. This way people will hold out and buy the 9th gens. Who knows really...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah the sony and samsung 120hz lcds look really really nice. but they still arent that great for sports. lcds still have bad respons times. i think the new panasonic plasmas should be the way to go, for bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw /forum/post/12873338

yeah the sony and samsung 120hz lcds look really really nice. but they still arent that great for sports. lcds still have bad respons times. i think the new panasonic plasmas should be the way to go, for bang for the buck.

My limited experience with the XBR4 and football was that there was no discernable motion blur. By far the most impressive LCD i've seen when it comes to sports.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts