AVS Forum banner

7121 - 7140 of 12014 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18357111


Yes. now ask this same question about....say.... LED LCDs

Alright, just how much do LED LCDs change over time? I have had several theories about them dimming over time, and rapidly at, (especially in backlit LED LCDs) How do the changes compare to CCFL LCDs and Plasmas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/18354993


In reading this thread on and off over the past few months, I've seen some say this is happening with all Panasonic plasmas, and some say it's not all. If this is an "engineering mistake", shouldn't it be affecting every single 11G/12G out there? Is it? Or is it only affecting a certain % of them?

It is all of them. Some people just do not notice the change. Some people are very observant, while others would not notice a Hippo sitting on their lap. Pay no attention to people who say that they noticed no difference. Only measurements, taking by people who know what they are doing count.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harywood /forum/post/18352583


However, 35% to 300% differences, in the first 1% to 2% of product lifetime, is not considered a nominal manufacturing variance. It is very important that all data collected is compiled accurately, and can be reproduced. More data on the 58" and larger sizes is needed.

AFAIK, no 300% difference has been reported, which would be a 4X increase. There has been at most a 200% difference, which is a 3X increase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 /forum/post/18352652


Not exactly...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3634


they end up at a lower number because they have a lower starting value. But they appear to observe a similar 3 fold level of rise as the other sets.


Also don't forget that these sets came out later than other sets. So the hour counts are going to be lower. Get them up to 1500 to 2000 hours and I have a feeling you'll start seeing where they level off. They'll end up with better values due to the lower starting number, but they still appear to be acting the same as the other sets.


It's actually the same benefit for the 2010 sets as well. The 2010 sets may have a lower starting value, so they'll end up at a better place than the 2009 sets.

Exactly, the 58" and 65" were 2.5 to 3 mos. after the 50" and 54", (I have the exact dates recorded, but not here), so less hours used on average of the 'larger' TVs. Also, apparently less AVS'ers bought the 'larger' TVs vs. 'smaller' TVs, so less study samples. They do, indeed, start with a lower MLL, and that might have been because of this issue or maybe not; regardless, it indeed makes for a better result, once all the TVs MLLs increase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
So I have a Panasonic 54S1 that I purchased from Sams Club in November 2009.


I rececntly found out that it only displays 900 moving lines of resolution so I wanted to upgrade but stick with Panasonic because my stereo system is also Panasonic.


So I started looking around and I find out about this black issue. I have read things ranging that it affects all Panasonic Plasmas, to only certain year models, to only certain sizes.


Would this black issue affect a TC-P58S1 58" Panasonic from Sams if I were to go in and purchase it today, March 22nd, 2010?


Would you make this purchase at $1,500?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18357111


Define same. If you mean well within the tolerances of the measuring device, then the answer is yes.


Depends on the number of hours used on the panel. All displays require a recalibration after a few thousand hours of use. However, this has absolutely nothing to do with rising black levels.


Yes. now ask this same question about....say.... LED LCDs

Great, so Pioneer invented what we call "Perpetuum mobile"...

A TV that never aged... never too late for that invention



PS do colors on a Pioneer plasma turn to gold with the time?
or do we get younger just wathing it?


D-Nice: change your magnitude ... and take more time to enjoy (watch) your Pioneer instead peaking with your nonsence on others! sorry...


Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2k10 /forum/post/18357463


So I have a Panasonic 54S1 that I purchased from Sams Club in November 2009.


I rececntly found out that it only displays 900 moving lines of resolution so I wanted to upgrade but stick with Panasonic because my stereo system is also Panasonic.

Actually it can display 1080 moving lines of resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-Junky /forum/post/18357526


Great, so Pioneer invented what we call "Perpetuum mobile"...

A TV that never aged... never too late for that invention



PS do colors on a Pioneer plasma turn to gold with the time?
or do we get younger just wathing it?


D-Nice: change your magnitude ... and take more time to enjoy (watch) your Pioneer instead peaking with your nonsence on others! sorry...


Josh
"Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18357568

"Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't."

[Chorus]

Women Lie, Men Lie

Women Lie, Men Lie

Women Lie, Men Lie

Numbers don't lie!

(x 6)


[Yo Gotti]

Ay, step up in the party and them bad bitches be on me

I be sippin on Patron when I'm jumpin out Ferrari's

I be rockin Gucci sometime Louie, I'm retarted

And dem rims by Asanti But the shades by Bulgari

Hand on my scrap I got my mind on my money

i got my mind on dine and he aint takin nothing from me

headed on this choppa tek

headed on this choppa tek

headed on a hunded round cuz thats how much the cheapest sh-t

ballin is my hobby got a homie goin shoppin

5 star with me a milli in a lobby

Took her to the room, she hit me wit that line

Said she aint that type of girl so I told her stop lyin


[Chorus]


[Lil Wayne]

Young money, yeah, ok,

I aint gotta lie, cross my heart hope to die,

the numbers don't lie, G-5 over sky,

I f-cked her p-ssy good, make her cry if I tried,

I'm tired of being sick and I'm sick of being tired,

tired of these n-ggas and tired of these b-tches,

sh-t let em lie as long as they aint snitching,

and men lie about women,

and sh-t women lie about plenty,

They aint lying on me Im in the bed with 2 fine b-tches lying on me,

so that would make 3 and numbers don't lie,

and money don't lie,

and neither do I,

B-tch!


[Chorus]


(the numbers don't lie, the the numbers dont lie)


[Yo Gotti]

I'm tryin to count to a billion, my ***** brazillian

Hop in that Lamb, push the button, lose the ceiling

Sun out no rain drops, postin the same spot

Right here in North North Memphis

Where I came from

Hundred on the neck, I aint never had sh-t

The streets gave me family, Barry White cut the check

Aint no secret in the streets, n-ggas know I got neck

Got the swagger through the roof, I was born just to flex

Zip code on my wrist, phone number in the bank

In my ten til six with my 305 paint

I got my 357 and my 501's

In a Lear 55 wit my Air Force One's (NO LIE)


[Chorus]

ay it's yo boy yo gotti

(Say what you want but the numbers don't lie)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog /forum/post/18357543


Actually it can display 1080 moving lines of resolution.

Well at Panasonic's website under technical specs it says 900? Why?


This weekend I went to a friends house who has a 55" Vizio LCD (a year or two old) and was amazed at how much better the exact same xbox360 game looked on his TV than on mine.


I was ashamed and disappointed and the first thing I did was start looking at specs when i found the 900 moving resolution spec and decided i wanted to upgrade.


I dont mean to hijack the thread but something is very lacking in my relatively new 54" plasma in comparison to his 2 year old LCD and I can only attribute it to this spec.


I tried posting links to the TV but wasnt allowed, but on Panasonic.com the tv is TC-54PS14


Now I am worried that if I upgrade to the 58" Panasonic Plasma that I will suffer the black level problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2k10 /forum/post/18357653


I tried posting links to the TV but wasnt allowed, but on Panasonic.com the tv is TC-54PS14

Oh yeah, that is an old 2008 model rebadged to 2009.


Get rid of it ASAP and either get a TC-P54S1 or wait for the 2010 models to drop in price.

Best bet is to wait for the 2011 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,938 Posts
I actually hate that song (as well as the artist). I was referencing the person who originally said it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog /forum/post/18357618


[Chorus]

Women Lie, Men Lie

Women Lie, Men Lie

Women Lie, Men Lie

Numbers don't lie!

(x 6)


[Yo Gotti]

Ay, step up in the party and them bad bitches be on me

I be sippin on Patron when I'm jumpin out Ferrari's

I be rockin Gucci sometime Louie, I'm retarted

And dem rims by Asanti But the shades by Bulgari

Hand on my scrap I got my mind on my money

i got my mind on dine and he aint takin nothing from me

headed on this choppa tek

headed on this choppa tek

headed on a hunded round cuz thats how much the cheapest sh-t

ballin is my hobby got a homie goin shoppin

5 star with me a milli in a lobby

Took her to the room, she hit me wit that line

Said she aint that type of girl so I told her stop lyin


[Chorus]


[Lil Wayne]

Young money, yeah, ok,

I aint gotta lie, cross my heart hope to die,

the numbers don't lie, G-5 over sky,

I f-cked her p-ssy good, make her cry if I tried,

I'm tired of being sick and I'm sick of being tired,

tired of these n-ggas and tired of these b-tches,

sh-t let em lie as long as they aint snitching,

and men lie about women,

and sh-t women lie about plenty,

They aint lying on me Im in the bed with 2 fine b-tches lying on me,

so that would make 3 and numbers don't lie,

and money don't lie,

and neither do I,

B-tch!


[Chorus]


(the numbers don't lie, the the numbers dont lie)


[Yo Gotti]

I'm tryin to count to a billion, my ***** brazillian

Hop in that Lamb, push the button, lose the ceiling

Sun out no rain drops, postin the same spot

Right here in North North Memphis

Where I came from

Hundred on the neck, I aint never had sh-t

The streets gave me family, Barry White cut the check

Aint no secret in the streets, n-ggas know I got neck

Got the swagger through the roof, I was born just to flex

Zip code on my wrist, phone number in the bank

In my ten til six with my 305 paint

I got my 357 and my 501's

In a Lear 55 wit my Air Force One's (NO LIE)


[Chorus]

ay it's yo boy yo gotti

(Say what you want but the numbers don't lie)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
That figures... Bastards


What about the 58" Panasonic I mentioned? Hold out for 2011 model? I wanted to sell mine and buy another while mine still has some value...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18357725


I actually hate that song (as well as the artist). I was referencing the person who originally said it

Also, hips don't lie, apparently...but I guess that is another story.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2k10 /forum/post/18357734


That figures... Bastards


What about the 58" Panasonic I mentioned? Hold out for 2011 model? I wanted to sell mine and buy another while mine still has some value...

You are taking a chance buying a 2010 model.

D-Nice has said several times that Panasonic did not fix the black level problem in the 2010 models.


I would wait for the 2011 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2k10 /forum/post/18357463


I wanted to upgrade but stick with Panasonic because my stereo system is also Panasonic.

If I used that logic I would not own an amazing Pioneer PRO-101FD monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr2006 /forum/post/18356511

UPDATE FROM PANASONIC UK


For anyone interested here is the update from the investigation of my 50V10 which was taken away by them on the 15th February for investigation at their manufacturing facility for the UK.


I should also point out that our UK sets do not have advanced controls like your sets, we simply get contrast, brightness & colour, to go any deeper would mean accessing the service menu to adjust which I have not.

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.


In response, we are in a position to inform you that the investigation on your television has been completed by our Manufacturing Division in the Czech Republic.


I would clarify that the product was found to be operating correctly to within specification. However, our investigations found that there had been some adjustments made to the television, resulting in the RGB values being higher than normal. As a consequence, the picture had been made brighter, causing the low black level that you had experienced.


We would be grateful if you would kindly confirm whether you have made this adjustment or indeed arranged this via another party.


The appropriate corrections have now been made on the settings of the television and we would like to arrange for your television to be returned to you and at the same time collect our loan unit. We will be in contact with you directly to make the necessary arrangements in the near future.


We can also confirm that your set was in the same physical condition as we originally received it. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience whilst this investigation was completed and trust that the above findings will help to clarify your enquiry.



Kind Regards,


Chris Swatridge

Dealer Support / Correspondence Team

Panasonic UK Ltd

PUK (Registered Number 01069148 England) Registered Office: Panasonic UK Ltd, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8FP



The part that annoys me is the implication that either myself or somone else have caused the problem, this is totally untrue & to me smacks of a cover up of the issue.



Of course I will be very happy if my set is fixed but the accusations have left a bitter taste. I could have swollowed it if they had said there had been a factory error which had caused the issue but trying to blame me is well out of order

hmm , its interesting that panasonic agreed that the blacks were washed out , and that there actually was a problem that they fixed , ok , they tried to blame you for doing something you didnt do , ie , accessing the service menu , and making adjustements , but they did find an issue with the black levels , since this story broke last year , thats the first time ive heard that....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,451 Posts
Sounds like a case of one part of Panasonic not knowing what the other is doing.
 
7121 - 7140 of 12014 Posts
Top