AVS Forum banner

7341 - 7360 of 12014 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
there is nothing in the service manual about how to go into the service menu and reset the tv back to factory 0 hours. I have the S1 series manual only and there is nothing in there.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001 /forum/post/18384210

there is nothing in the service manual about how to go into the service menu and reset the tv back to factory 0 hours. I have the S1 series manual only and there is nothing in there.

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. They don't tell you how to go into the hex editor in the manual... It may be in there somewhere.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18384221

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. They don't tell you how to go into the hex editor in the manual... It may be in there somewhere.

Correct. I have no idea if it exists, but it isn't in the service manual.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18384688

You gotta laugh at this post. Really sucks that we have no resolution

No. The real laugh is that a simple search for the single word 'editor' brought it right up.

There was no need for all the posts speculating whether or not an editor exits.

Larry

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/18384780

No. The real laugh is that a simple search for the single word 'editor' brought it right up.

There was no need for all the posts speculating whether or not an editor exits.

Larry

My post meant that there may be a reset function somewhere in the Service menu. I knew about the hex editor. Just to clear that up

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18384814

My post meant that there may be a reset function somewhere in the Service menu. I knew about the hex editor. Just to clear that up

My post was not directed to you.

All the technical stuff about the black level problem is contained in this thread. Unfortunately, it now has become a series of repetitive posts about law suits, conspiracies, and general whining. All the technical information is buried.

Sorry but that's the way I see it.

Larry

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 /forum/post/18385070

Now that is the type of thing that can void your warranty, and turn your TV into a doorstop.

Exactly. I went in the Hex Editor, and I believe that Panasonic CAN tell that you've been in there. I didn't change anything, and only went in for a second, but right after on the self check, DTVSOC was in red, and it wasn't before. (It still is in red when I do the self check) So they know I've been in there.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18385098

Exactly. I went in the Hex Editor, and I believe that Panasonic CAN tell that you've been in there. I didn't change anything, and only went in for a second, but right after on the self check, DTVSOC was in red, and it wasn't before. (It still is in red when I do the self check) So they know I've been in there.

Why in the world did you go into the editor? Just to see some hexadecimal numbers? It boggles my mind.

Larry

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigwaxy /forum/post/18383781

I agree with you but Vegas is to bright. We should meet somewhere greyer like the NorthWest. If we bring all out TVs and set them to no input, we can light up the sky. *Single tear rolls down my cheek.

HA! I got a chuckle out of that... Damn..here I am again checking this thread!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why haven't more people here spread the word about black levels through youtube? That's bound to attract a massive amount of attention to the issue, and get to people who normally don't post on these forums.

So far I've seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE3Mp89xHOg

Funny, but there needs to be some serious videos about this issue. Make Panasonic get off its butt or lose customers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Furthermore, youtube videos with lots of tags have been known to get real media attention, not just that of some online joint that most people will never see.

Someone describing the problem in detail and actually showing examples would do more good than simply writing about it on a message board.

·
Registered
182 Posts
After the runaround with Panny Service. I actually went through BB, where I bought my 50G10. I actually have had pretty good experience with BB, so they sent out a geek squad tech. who really knew nothing of the problem, I showed him everything including how the TV goes to the deep black for a few moments with content then brightens up to it's "normal" state.

Long story short, he calls Panasonic Tech, through their own "internal" ways.. who knows he had to give security #'s and stuff haha.. I could hear the tech through Geek's cell phone, and they knew about my complaints, my claim # was already on file, etc., which I knew would come up.. But here's the thing, the Panny guy clearly said they "we're working" on it", "either a part of firmware fix in the future".....

Now does this mean anything is really in the works? who knows? The Panasonic guy could just be told to tell BB peeps this.. Or people who are complaining this.. But I think Panny needs BB more than the other way around. hah. I'm sure they think it's okay to lie to customers... but start lying to your distributors, and see where that leads you.

Anyways, the thing I'm happy about is if they're saying they're "working on it". that admits they know there is a problem, if they do nothing I can't see how we can't ask for anything other than a replacement.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/18384626

A hex editor exists. It was discussed in some detail a few thousand posts back in this thread.

EDIT: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17830571

Larry

I know the hex editor exists as I saw something about it on the euro forums about enabling something. What I meant was there is nothing in the manual that states you can reset the tv to factory defaults by doing something. It doesn't tell you HOW to do it. Believe me, if it did, I would have done it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Also, some nice accessible advanced settings. 4:40 marker onwards

Wonder how they will look after 1000+hrs. I know what's been said about it on this thread.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001 /forum/post/18385459

I know the hex editor exists as I saw something about it on the euro forums about enabling something. What I meant was there is nothing in the manual that states you can reset the tv to factory defaults by doing something. It doesn't tell you HOW to do it. Believe me, if it did, I would have done it.

What you have just said has been said by many others before.

* There is no known way to reset the service menu to factory values.

* There is no know way to modify the voltage step function that causes the black level problem.

And yes, I have over a dozen Panasonic plasma service manuals going back to the TH-50PHD5.

Larry

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotitis /forum/post/18385488

Also, some nice accessible advanced settings. 4:40 marker onwards

Wonder how they will look after 1000+hrs. I know what's been said about it on this thread.

Watching that video, I just feel like I have lost all respect for some reason.

7341 - 7360 of 12014 Posts