AVS Forum banner

7541 - 7560 of 12014 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/18409233

Man I just got a real kick in the gut this morning. I watched HD mummy 3 on demand.

That was the first movie I watched on the set. When I watched it the first time the darks were so dark I adjusted the set brighter to make sure I was able to see all the detail. The dam thing was simply unbelievable. Well like I said I put it on demaand this morning to look at it and wow. pure and utter trash. This set went from about the best could be bought in 09 models to I think the worst. It is horrendously bad.

Most LCD are now better than this because the dam set is as light as a dam insignia from three yrs ago. F U panasonic F U.

Some on demand material looks pretty bad. You should try a better source (Blu-ray, or at least a good DVD) to verify that your black levels have gone down the tubes. Hopefully it's the source that is causing your problems.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/18409233

Man I just got a real kick in the gut this morning. I watched HD mummy 3 on demand.

That was the first movie I watched on the set. When I watched it the first time the darks were so dark I adjusted the set brighter to make sure I was able to see all the detail. The dam thing was simply unbelievable. Well like I said I put it on demaand this morning to look at it and wow. pure and utter trash. This set went from about the best could be bought in 09 models to I think the worst. It is horrendously bad.

Most LCD are now better than this because the dam set is as light as a dam insignia from three yrs ago. F U panasonic F U.

Make sure you join the Class action Lawsuit, and enjoy your new replacement 3D plasma.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/18407527

No, even with the black level rise they will still be in the same range with the Samsungs if not better.

I disagree

Panasonic's tvs can't compete with Samsung in terms of colors

it's the black levels that set them apart

if both sets have identicle black levels then the samsung will look better

my old samsung pn50a450 has a better picture than my 50g10

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18409283

Make sure you join the Class action Lawsuit, and enjoy your new replacement 3D plasma.

Out of curiousity, how does someone go about doing this?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18409283

Yes, How do you officially signup for this. BTW this has nothing to do with on demand and everything to do with my tv looks like lifeless crap.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair /forum/post/18409418

I disagree

if both sets have identicle black levels then the samsung will look better

my old samsung pn50a450 has a better picture than my 50g10

I'm actually amazed at how good the blacks are on my 50c450 especially in the daytime. Out of the box they were average (but still better than a risen Panny) but they have been getting better with age. They still can't compete with a fresh Panny, but combine that with the Samsung PQ and colors, and I am very happy with the PQ of this holdover budget plasma. The IR levels are pretty horrendous though. (same as a risen Panny)

After all the crap that I have been through with the Plasma tech, I am honestly considering going back to LCD for my next HDTV.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1138 /forum/post/18408827

Keeping my fingers crossed.

i haven't heard from Mike in a while.

Are the MLL's still being charted? I haven't seen any updates from the guys who were doing it.

The chart is still up, I have a few updates that i haven't added yet... but in general, the info coming in has slowed to a trickle.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18409623

I'm actually amazed at how good the blacks are on my 50c450 especially in the daytime. Out of the box they were average (but still better than a risen Panny) but they have been getting better with age. They still can't compete with a fresh Panny, but combine that with the Samsung PQ and colors, and I am very happy with the PQ of this holdover budget plasma. The IR levels are pretty horrendous though. (same as a risen Panny)

After all the crap that I have been through with the Plasma tech, I am honestly considering going back to LCD for my next HDTV.

I'm with you on considering going abandoning plasma

I'll be buying a 3d tv next year and at this point I'm almost 100% certain it'll be an LED

·
Registered
18,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair /forum/post/18409418

I disagree

Depends on the Panasonic model you are speaking of. A working THX mode on the Panasonic would be equal to a Samsung with CMS.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomash /forum/post/18410283

So which series are affected by this? I have an S14.

Every series as far as i know. Less noticeable on the larger (58-65) because they start out at lower black levels anyway i believe.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18410373

Depends on the Panasonic model you are speaking of. A working THX mode on the Panasonic would be equal to a Samsung with CMS.

THX mode isn't bright enough to really be usefull though

and I don't know if it's just my tv(actually I know it's not just mine cuz I know at least one other person has confirmed the issue) but game/custom mode is completely useless because the video processing is terrible it's almost like it can't keep up with the image(very noticeable in games)

·
Registered
18,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair /forum/post/18410401

THX mode isn't bright enough to really be usefull though

Very subjective comment.

BTW, the 2010 models are fully capable of getting 50fL in THX mode.

Quote:
and I don't know if it's just my tv(actually I know it's not just mine cuz I know at least one other person has confirmed the issue) but game/custom mode is completely useless because the video processing is terrible it's almost like it can't keep up with the image(very noticeable in games)

This has nothing to do with you post regarding color

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18410433

Very subjective comment.

BTW, the 2010 models are fully capable of getting 50fL in THX mode.

This has nothing to do with you post regarding color

in a way it does because it means I have to use standard or vivid mode on the tv which just doesn't look as good

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18409623

All of the brands and technologies have faults.

Do you honestly believe you will not find a fault in your LED LCD set if and when you purchase one?

Of course you will... and then the 2011 plasmas will be out and you'll be playing "the grass is greener on the other side" all again in your head.... nit picking faults in your LED. Or perhaps you'll go the other route and justify your LED purchase and nit pick and the Plasmas ignoring any LED LCD faults... repeat endless cycle...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is it possible to have the latest tracking chart in the 1st post? And have it updated when a new one is released? At this point it's all I really come back to view; still curious to see how the larger displays do...

I guess I can just user name search for now to find them...

edited

NM I see the links... google spread sheet is nice.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy /forum/post/18410484

All of the brands and technologies have faults.

Do you honestly believe you will not find a fault in your LED LCD set if and when you purchase one?

Of course you will... and then the 2011 plasmas will be out and you'll be playing "the grass is greener on the other side" all again in your head.... nit picking faults in your LED. Or perhaps you'll go the other route and justify your LED purchase and nit pick and the Plasmas ignoring any LED LCD faults... repeat endless cycle...

I hate the LED tech, way too many problems and worse PQ as well as a higher price, I'll stick with the cheaper CCFL. I've owned a 5020 Kuro and I prefered a Samsung 52a750 CCFL LCD to it. Out of all the sets that I have owned I regret getting rid of that Sammy LCD the most, it had very few flaws but it was way too expensive for what I got. I'll probably get a Sony 60EX500 for my next HDTV, this line seems to be the best overall LCD to buy this year so far. I'm not a fanboy, I don't blindly defend anything, every TV has flaws, but right now every plasma seems to have serious problems making them poor buys. (Panasonic - Failing blacks, Samsung - bad IR and buzz) Plasma TV makers are making it very hard for a lot of us to be comfortable buying Plasma HDTVs these days.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair /forum/post/18410526

I wouldn't buy another samsung I don't think

the IR is so bad on them that it's mind blowing

I'll probably get an LG LED tv

just so you can see the issue I'm referring to
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17318039

If you had IR, then you were doing something wrong. If you're using your set properly, Sammy won't have any IR issues. Especially after a good break-in period.

7541 - 7560 of 12014 Posts