AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2818 of 2818 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightslot /forum/post/13792421

Hey guys, I need your help on the IMPACT of the 50 vs the 58.

I see that some are saying that after a while, the 50 isn't so big anymore.

I can understand that. But what I'm wondering is this: Does the 58 dominate the room?

I'm concerned about things like scale, and room balance.

And I guess we need to ask about room size. When you say your 50 is too smallhow big is your room.

I have a 13 X 12 opening to a kitchen.

Thoughts?

i sit 10 feet from a 50in.750, and i think that's as far back as you can go. you have to remember that if your watching a movie with bars on the top and bottom, your pic.will be smaller. i also have a sammy 61in. dlp that i sit 11 ft. from, and it's killing me. at full screen i'm to close, but with a wide screen movie it's just right. i'm looking to replace it with a 58in panny plasma, but may go for for the sammy 58-550 if it isn't released soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been a lurker on this forum for like a year now cause I wanted to get an HDtv for my bedroom. After a year of planning and reading up on here. I finally got my home theatre system hooked up in my room.

I ended up getting the Panasonic TH42PZ800U. I use the PS 3 for blu ray and the Denon 788 as my receiver. And i bought a Klipsch 5.1 speaker set up with the RF 52 and RC 52 as my fronts and center speakers and the SS 1 surrounds plus the RW10 sub. Everything including the tv is already hooked up. And i've been testing things out for over a week now.

Thanks to everyone on this board I ended up holding back from getting the PZ77 last year because I didn't like how the anti-glare screen dulls down the picture. And waited for these 2008 models.

I originally intended to get the PZ85, but I ended up with the PZ800 instead. Just couldn't resist. haha.. I've had the PZ800 for over a week now and have been breakin in the tv and occasionally watching a blu ray on THX settings and stuff.

On a side note, when I first got the tv. I set the Contrast and Brightness to 0 right away to break it in. In the first 6 hours I downloaded and ran a break-in dvd at those settings. The dvd just has changing colors on the screen. Then I read somewhere that some people saying using a break in dvd might actually be harmful to your tv. Is there any truth in that? Might using a break-in dvd deteriorate the picture quality or color of the tv in any way? After reading about break-in dvd's being maybe harmful i stopped using it after 6 or 7 hours and started running blu ray and dvd movies stretched or zoomed to fill up the screen on 0 contrast and brightness instead to break it in. haha... just wondering if I'm being too paranoid. I'd appreciate any help on this.

If anyone has any questions about the PZ800 just let me know as I've been testing it out for quite sometime already. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric923 /forum/post/13998610

Hi guys,

I've been a lurker on this forum for like a year now cause I wanted to get an HDtv for my bedroom. After a year of planning and reading up on here. I finally got my home theatre system hooked up in my room.

I ended up getting the Panasonic TH42PZ800U. I use the PS 3 for blu ray and the Denon 788 as my receiver. And i bought a Klipsch 5.1 speaker set up with the RF 52 and RC 52 as my fronts and center speakers and the SS 1 surrounds plus the RW10 sub. Everything including the tv is already hooked up. And i've been testing things out for over a week now.

Thanks to everyone on this board I ended up holding back from getting the PZ77 last year because I didn't like how the anti-glare screen dulls down the picture. And waited for these 2008 models.

I originally intended to get the PZ85, but I ended up with the PZ800 instead. Just couldn't resist. haha.. I've had the PZ800 for over a week now and have been breakin in the tv and occasionally watching a blu ray on THX settings and stuff.

On a side note, when I first got the tv. I set the Contrast and Brightness to 0 right away to break it in. In the first 6 hours I downloaded and ran a break-in dvd at those settings. The dvd just has changing colors on the screen. Then I read somewhere that some people saying using a break in dvd might actually be harmful to your tv. Is there any truth in that? Might using a break-in dvd deteriorate the picture quality or color of the tv in any way? After reading about break-in dvd's being maybe harmful i stopped using it after 6 or 7 hours and started running blu ray and dvd movies stretched or zoomed to fill up the screen on 0 contrast and brightness instead to break it in. haha... just wondering if I'm being too paranoid. I'd appreciate any help on this.

If anyone has any questions about the PZ800 just let me know as I've been testing it out for quite sometime already. Cheers guys.

do you have a good camera? pictures of blu-ray and game stuff would be cool (try and look at the great pictures of the Kuro picture thread for inspiration).

I guess my only other question would be did you compare it at al to the 77u? I have a friend with a 77u and it does seem to have pretty darn good blacks and colors, so i'm wondering how much better the 800u is over it (i almost dont look forward to the improved brightness).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally wasn't too fond of the PZ77u models from last year. The antiglare screen i found had a very noticable impact on the picture quality. Since the set up was for my room, there really wasn't much of a glare issue anyways. I personally find all the 2008 panasonic models are a huge jump from any 2007 models last year. So far I've been really happy with the pz800's picture quality over any 2007 models.

Much better colors and really good details during dark scenes. I've been playing 30 Days of Night on Blu ray on the tv for a week now as It's one of the only movies i got in HD so far. haha.. I'll be picking up a copy of Gattaca tomorrow. =)

And the THX setting was really well done. Much more accurate color reproduction as the default color settings for the panny's normally have a strong blue/red push to it. The biggest question I believe is whether people think the upgrade from the pz85 to the pz800 is worth it though.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
i know the in store feeds are bad and all, but the muddy THX mode the way it's set up in the store actually didnt look as good as my friends 77u back in his house (and he doesnt really calibrate at all either mind you).

I suppose i'll just count on the idea that the 800u is signifigantly better in spite of the 77u already looking very good (albeit it was last generation "i think" it did get that contrast bump).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi spincut. It could just be a preference thing. But then if your friend didn't calibrate it at all then the settings might not be very accurate. Generally any tv should be calibrated eventually otherwise it'll be too bright or harsh. The THX setting I find was great. The only thing i did change was I bumped up the contrast a "bit". But then again it's just a preference, my old CRT was never calibrated either... so way too bright,but i'm use to it. haha

The only thing about the PZ800 though is if people are looking forward to the 24p playback feature then they will probably be disappointed. There's a lot of flickering during the 24p playback mode even during scenes where there's no movement. So I ended up only using the 60hz mode only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found video clip about PZ850 on YouTube just search YouTube for pz850. I guess this will answer some questions posted earlier.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric923 /forum/post/14001759

Hi spincut. It could just be a preference thing. But then if your friend didn't calibrate it at all then the settings might not be very accurate. Generally any tv should be calibrated eventually otherwise it'll be too bright or harsh. The THX setting I find was great. The only thing i did change was I bumped up the contrast a "bit". But then again it's just a preference, my old CRT was never calibrated either... so way too bright,but i'm use to it. haha

The only thing about the PZ800 though is if people are looking forward to the 24p playback feature then they will probably be disappointed. There's a lot of flickering during the 24p playback mode even during scenes where there's no movement. So I ended up only using the 60hz mode only.

accurate or not, my FRIEND is the one with the pz77u, my point was that even though the PZ800u is in the store, my friends pz77u looks really good and he doesnt really mess with the settings at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally gave in, but I didn't go the way that I thought I would go. I managed to find a Pioneer 5010 for almost the same price as an Panasonic 80u... I had to jump on it! Man this TV is absolutely beautiful! My wife even said that it is so rich and bright that it makes the world look so much better.
I watched Star Wars Episode II the other day (upconverted DVD) and it was just awesome. Great purchase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am waiting patiently for the 850U. Whether its August or October is no concern. I just want to have the biggest, most color saturated picture I can get.

House was just completed last week. Home theater built to maximize a Plasma.

In the living room I have over 8 floor to ceiling windows. I knew a Plasma would not work.

I got the Sharp 6594U for that room. Get it installed in 10 days. I really want to have all my friends over to see which platform they like best.

I am thinking I will make more converts to the Plasma than the LCD, but only because the Plasma will be in the perfect no light environment.

I was offered the first slot for the Panny at my StarPower in Addison Tx. Not sure I am ready to do it yet.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdRyd /forum/post/14503924

Any reviews yet on the TH-58PZ800U? I've been waiting to get a new TV for 6 months now, and this is the model I was waiting on.

um, unless i missed something, the 58 is no different than the other 800u models outside of its size, so i dont think you'll be seeing any reviews of it, since an 800u review is effectively covering that already.....so go read an 800u review.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut /forum/post/14504348

um, unless i missed something, the 58 is no different than the other 800u models outside of its size, so i dont think you'll be seeing any reviews of it, since an 800u review is effectively covering that already.....so go read an 800u review.

Last year tended to be true with that statement as the 65 and 58 generally had the same picture characteristics as the smaller models. That doesn't mean that the larger pictures might be different in some ways though, but the review of the 50" model is probably a pretty good place to start.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnobber /forum/post/14504685

Last year tended to be true with that statement as the 65 and 58 generally had the same picture characteristics as the smaller models. That doesn't mean that the larger pictures might be different in some ways though, but the review of the 50" model is probably a pretty good place to start.

in which case there likely wont be the need deemed for a 58pz800u

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does every 2008 Panasonic plasma feature the TUF glass technology, a.k.a. tough under force?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Does anyone here have a pedestal that is not in use that he or she is willing to part with? My th-pz85u is mounted to my wall and the pedestal seems to have gone missing. Now I need the pedestal for a relocation.

2801 - 2818 of 2818 Posts