AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Nothing yet, but should be interesting. My guess is that the PZ950 becomes the flagship and they will have one more round of 768p displays, which could be the PX90. My guess is that the contrast ratio of the PX90 will be 30,000:1 still, while the PZ900/950 go to 60,000:1.

Chris

·
Registered
760 Posts
i hate this waiting game also. I finally get the approval from my wife and we are 1 week away from CES! I keep going back and forth between buying now or waiting a couple months.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow /forum/post/15422138

Wonder if it will be worth waiting for a few more months to purchase a plasma...

Historically when the new Panasonic models are released, they sell for full List Price or very close to it for a few months before prices drop, then through the remainder of the year they have a few more price drops over the course of several months. Right now the prices of the current 42", and 50" models are somewhere around half of what they were when they debuted 10 months ago. If you wait for the new models to debut, i'm pretty sure they'll be going for almost twice as much as the current models that they're replacing. I don't think the new 2009 models will be worth twice the price as the 2008 models.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15422326

Historically when the new Panasonic models are released, they sell for full List Price or very close to it for a few months before prices drop, then through the remainder of the year they have a few more price drops over the course of several months. Right now the prices of the current 42", and 50" models are somewhere around half of what they were when they debuted 10 months ago. If you wait for the new models to debut, i'm pretty sure they'll be going for almost twice as much as the current models that they're replacing. I don't think the new 2009 models will be worth twice the price as the 2008 models.

Kinda what I was thinking. I remember the 77 models being near $2,000 and that was considered a good deal.

Now the 85 series are around $1,400.

I know I will probably wind up just buying whatever is available at the time and then finally put the decision making to bed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am in the same situation. got the blessing to replace my old warhorse samsung 6339, settled on a 65pz850u and wanted to make the purchase. decided on Chris at cleveland since shipping is to Kauai and i don't trust anyone else. then i start reading posts about CES and the new Neo's coming which completely threw off my thought process.

hopefully within a day or so more info starts flowing and ill get off my arse and make the purchase.

happy new year all

·
Registered
3,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow /forum/post/15422138

Wonder if it will be worth waiting for a few more months to purchase a plasma...

If you're looking for a 1080 model, just wait a couple weeks while the stores regroup and realize just how big a glut of these sets they still have. Look for some Black Friday pricing on them during the NFL playoffs.

If you're looking for a 720p model at Black Friday prices, you might have to wait a month or two for the stores to reload, as these models (PX80) sold rather well when you could take one Out The Door for less than a grand.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm betting the black levels of the '09 entry-level models will be nearly twice as deep as the current entry-level '08 models. Can you say 8G Kuro-level blacks?
That's enough for me to wait it out for another three or so months.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 /forum/post/15423872

I'm betting the black levels of the '09 entry-level models will be nearly twice as deep as the current entry-level '08 models. Can you say 8G Kuro-level blacks?
That's enough for me to wait it out for another three or so months.

No. I say 9G blacks or nothing less. At this point Panasonic should be nearly equal to the Kuro's black levels.

Chris

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/15423994

No. I say 9G blacks or nothing less. At this point Panasonic should be nearly equal to the Kuro's black levels.

Chris

I agree on that Chris. I refuse to pay the premium that Pioneer commands and Panasonic IMO is the best out there for the average Joe like me. Hopefully Panasonic has great things in store for us this coming year.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime /forum/post/15423383

If you're looking for a 1080 model, just wait a couple weeks while the stores regroup and realize just how big a glut of these sets they still have. Look for some Black Friday pricing on them during the NFL playoffs.

If you're looking for a 720p model at Black Friday prices, you might have to wait a month or two for the stores to reload, as these models (PX80) sold rather well when you could take one Out The Door for less than a grand.

In particular, it's the TH-50PZ85U that I'm probably going to get.

·
Vendor
35,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy /forum/post/15421044

Here is Panasonic's CES '09 Page:
http://www.panasonic.com/ces2009/

I hope they have the new models listed before CES....one can hope.

I think I am going to get the "Life Wall ". Done playing games over here

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.