AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have got to test a Panasonic V10A. I want to know how much better the 24p smoothing is on the new models like VT25 compared to this lower 2009 model.

I am someone who does not like the native 24p effect with its flicker and judder. Yes I like the video effect.

My current TV is the most high end LCD, the Sony Hx909. I think this lower model Panasonic Plasma is better in every way except for black levels and motion.

The new Sony is a master at Motion smoothness, with no artifacting whatsoever. If the newest Panasonics can get close to the motion of the Sony, then I would gladly trade up.

It may well be there is no gain in motion from 2009 to 2010 panasonic plasmas. If this is the case I will have to wait and see what happens next year.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agisthos /forum/post/19561378

The new Sony is a master at Motion smoothness, with no artifacting whatsoever.

No artifacts whatsoever? Frame interpolation will always have artifacts and problems. Because no matter how good it is, it will always be guessing and fabricating fake frames. In other words, it will never ever be as good as a real high-refresh real video frames, because fake is not real.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektarios /forum/post/19561652

No artifacts whatsoever? Frame interpolation will always have artifacts and problems. Because no matter how good it is, it will always be guessing and fabricating fake frames. In other words, it will never ever be as good as a real high-refresh real video frames, because fake is not real.

The highest level, called Smooth has artifacts. But all the levels of interpolation below it have negligable artifacts. No drop shadows to movement. All Samsungs LCD's and every Sony model below the HX9 series are not able to do this. It really has to be seen in action. They have taken it to another level.

But I was hoping this LCD had a plasma like dimensionality and depth. Unfortunately even a local dimming LCD like the HX909 cannot compete, despite its other strengths. So I am here asking those who have experience with the Panasonic models, because I do not.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Pansonic entry level plasmas do not support any 24p (it always converts 24p into 60p).

Mid-level G series can do 48Hz with 24p (you have to enable it in the menu) which a lot ppl hate the flicker on 48Hz. The default out of box is still convert 24p to 60p.

High-end V series can do 96Hz with 24p.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektarios /forum/post/19561652

HX909 Motionflow clear1/clear2 uses Backlight Scanning and will provide the best motion,it has less artifacts than Motion Interpolation (Motionflow standard/smooth).

Scanning Backlight http://www.presentationtek.com/2010/...ing-backlight/

·
Registered
518 Posts
I really dislike the look of motion compensation. Especially on movies. I hate my movies looking like video. I don't use it and I doubt even if it was perfect that I would use it other than for the odd sporting event.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts