AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would like to know if any panasonic 300 owners would post what screens they have and how they like it, my room is totally dark no light,screen will be 52x92 hdtv format. So many options for material it's making my head spin.Also Tensioned,non-tensioned ,wall hanging pulldown, electric, snap on, velcro, csr,non csr WOW I think I'm going nuts!!! Any help would be appreciated,Thanks in advance!! Jim

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I use a Dalite HCCV screen with mine, and in a light controlled room, it is plenty bright. The picture looks great, whites are not crushed, and blacks are great for a pj in this price range. The material is more expensive than some, but it much less than a Grayhawk or Firehawk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First, determine if you need a retractable screen for some reason, e.g., budget, décor (WAF), or multi-use room. If not, go with a fixed screen, since they eliminate some potential problems w/ pull downs, i.e., less chance of wrinkling. Something less expensive, like the Da-lite Perm-Wall (snaps), will work ok, but the more you spend, the better it will look (i.e., better looking frame) and there might be some performance advantages (e.g., Velcro® will probably provide a more uniformed tension over snaps -- is the price increase worth it? Depends on your budget.)

If you need a retractable screen, make sure the roller mechanism is large/robust enough (e.g., like a Da-Lite Model C) to avoid waving/wrinkles (I don't have any idea if CSR helps). If you're on a tight budget, something like the Model B (the one I have) will work, but you might end up with tensioning problems. Hi-power fabric has been said to help, even w/ the Model B, but it has a large gain and associated reduced viewing angle.

Fabrics: for the l300u, get (at the minimum) a grey fabric such as Da-Lite HCMW or HCCV -- helps w/ the black levels a bit and doesn't otherwise detract from the picture quality.

If I knew then (when I was buying my screen) what I know now, I would have saved up some extra money & bought a Da-Lite Imager or Cinema Contour (or even a Da-Snap or Perm-Wall), w/ Velcro® and HCCV fabric.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the HCCV as well. This is the fabric only, mounted on my DIY frame. I love the image but you have to accept that it will amplify a bad image. My God, Chicago looked very very grainy. OTOH, HDTV looks fantastic. Bad transfers are accentuated. Good transfers are heaven. ( I realize that Chicago is supposed to look grainy - but, Man, that is really distracting.)

David

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have my 300U paired with a Firehawk. The combination works great! I would look at Dalite, however if you don't have any issues with ambient light. I do, and the Firehawk works wonders in that aspect. For me it's well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseki
I have the HCCV as well. This is the fabric only, mounted on my DIY frame. I love the image but you have to accept that it will amplify a bad image. My God, Chicago looked very very grainy. OTOH, HDTV looks fantastic. Bad transfers are accentuated. Good transfers are heaven. ( I realize that Chicago is supposed to look grainy - but, Man, that is really distracting.)

David
I have to agree here. The HCCV material looks very, very good with a good transfer. But, oh God, does it ever look bad with old/inferior ones. Chicago looked so bad that I was sick for days until I found out that the look was intentional. "All the President's Men' was another grain-fest. Monster's Inc would be the real test, but I haven't been home long enough to watch it :mad: .

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.