AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps a newbie question but searches came up empty. I am trying to determine the optimal connections for my new Panny 300. I plan to connect it to my Marantz SR8000 receiver which should serve as a conduit for my Toshiba DVD player and if possible, my xbox.

I am about to switch to satellite TV from cable and I'm likely to buy a HD receiver.

So, how should I connect these two components into my projector? Which should use S-Video? Which should use the Component In?

Shoul I connect the HD receiver to my Marantz as well?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here is what I do/would do:

XBox - Component (which will be 3 cables of Red Green Blue)

Sony HDTV box - VGA (like what you use for computer to monitor)

Buy the new Bravo DVD player for $200 and use the DVI input.

Otherwise you will have to switch video through the receiver (does it pass a high enough signal for HD?) or buy a video switcher.

The S-Video is only for lower resolution items like a S-Video capable VCR.

The only other connection is the composite which is one yellow cable. It is the worst type of connection.

Composite and S-Video will not pass 480p or HD...

You probably knew most of this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, I guess I don't see why the xbox should be hooked up directly to the projector as opposed to my main receiver. My supposedly high-end Marantz receiver has what is called "high definition amplifier modules" (HDAM). I'll admit that I don't know what that means but I was hoping that it meant that I could pump progressive DVD, XBOX and possibly a HD receiver through it to my projector. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you need 57MHz to pass a HD signal. You might start a new thread in the receiver section that would address other current owners of the Marantz. I am not sure what "high definition amplifier module" is either.

To me passing the Xbox through the receiver is not a big issue. There is only one 1080i and a small number of 720p's. I would do it in a heartbeat if my receiver was capable...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey kingofold the panny does not have a dvi connection to it?So does that mean that you could not hook up any hi def signal to it?Supid question I know.I am just now looking into the thing..

·
Registered
499 Posts
it has a DVI input, I don't think that it is high def copy protected so it won't pass copy protected signals, It seems to me like it should work w/the bravo because that just scales the DVD's to higher formats but I don't know I'm pretty new at this too. Someone should clear this up soon when they get their stuff. I just got an xp30 and am happy but if this bravo works, well that would be annoying (for me)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm still a bit confused about this DVI input on the Panny. So since the Panny DVI input doesn't have HDCP, does that mean I can't play a DVD thru DVI cable using my HTPC? Are DVDs HDCP protected?

What's the best way of connecting my Panny to my HTPC? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
And is it just the DVI that is without the HDCP compatibility? Or the Component inputs too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.