Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating the purchase of a Panasonic 37pwd4u. Several questions:

1. With the exception of the size, are the specs the same as for the 42pwd4u?

2. I read that there were newer incarnations of the 42pwd4u (42pwd4uy?) to account for problems with fan noise. Does the same apply for the 37 inch Panasonic?

3. The Panasonic home page mentions that there are optional speakers available for the 42 inch, but neglects to comment if there are such speakers available (attachable to the 37 inch). Has anyone seen such speakers.

4. I have limited space. Is it foolish to think that I would be satisfied using the 37 inch plasma TV in conjunction with small bookshelf speakers attached to the 8 watt Panasonic audio output? I am reluctant to spend the extra $$$ to purchase a receiver, high-quality speakers, etc.

5. A colleague of mine, an avid proponent of this web site, suggests that I must identify an ISF adjuster to properly calibrate the plasma tv once purchased. Is he right?

6. Is there anyone in the Philadelphia region that has purchased a 37 or 42 inch Panny, and could recommend a local shop where the sets are properly adjusted?

Thanks for your help.

David

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
(2) There are no fans in the 42" Panasonic.

(5) You need to get Video Essentials or Avia to calibrate the display. ISF calibration is a nice-to-have, but a decent receiver and surround sound would come much higher on my list.

Mark

·
Banned
25 Posts
Don´t spend your money for something that is already old before arrived on the market.

For the same price you can get also a real 37" HDTV plasma from Hitachi, Philips or Sony.

852x1024 is much better than only 852 x 480 (ridicules)

Have Fun

Joshy

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
I have a three word response to Joshy: BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Oh and three more words: BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The Panasonic 37" display is far, far prettier than the Sony, which is only 32", by the way. I know not of a smaller Philips, but their 42" is so bad, you'd have to be a fool or a blind man to buy it. As for Hitachi, I believe their smaller plasma is a last generation, but could be mistaken.

Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 37" Panasonic doesn't have the option of a DVI board (digital video interface - use for some PC cards, nowish/future HD reciever set boxes, input and possibly future dvd players) which the 42" has. The difference in size is also important for effect to viewer and the 42" is much more impacting. The physical foot print isn't that much greater space-wise though and considering the investment lump those extra 5" are quite reasonable! Factor in viewing distance as well as you don't want to have the staring down the corridor effect but neither the kid in front of the 'toons.

As for sound, you could always hook up sound to an existing stereo amp/system for stereo reproduction which would be a fine compromise, possibly, for you.

(encaser leans back to play British Grenadiers Marches)

·
Banned
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

The Panasonic 37" display is far, far prettier than the Sony, which is only 32", by the way.

Mark
In a fact they are smaller....But Resolution is much much higher.

They all (except Panny) are HDTV ready, and becose of their much higher resolution they are also 100% prepared for BlueRAY (DVD second generation).

To buy a 37" Monitor with only 852 x 480 pixels for 4,5 - 6,000 $ is today

(may 2002) pure waste of money!

Josh

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
David,

I (and most of us here on this forum) disagree with Josh. Resolution is only part of what makes a good picture. I really like the deep black levels of the Pannys which is why I bought one. Additionally, resolution doesn't help much if the tv doesn't make the most of it. The Sony I looked at side-by-side with the Panny was fuzzier, not as vivid, and suffered from the poor black levels. Additionally the Sony is inherently an interlaced display, (from what I'm told, but I could be wrong on that) and that makes no sense given that 720p and progressive dvd are currently available. Progressive DVD looks incredible on the 42" Panny, and a screen resolution that matches DVD closely certainly helps this, I'm sure.

As for 1080i and the mythical HD DVD, I wouldn't worry about them. Everyone who has 1080i into a Panny has been very happy with it. The Panny is said to have an incredible downscaler and as a result, HD looks extremely good, probably better than HD on many inferior sets that have the true HD resolution. If resolution is very important, I think most people here would tell you about the 43" Pioneer.

Also, if you are considering attaching optional speakers to your 37", then it's very likely that you could squeeze a 42" into that space. I would highly recommend getting the 42" over the 37". In my experience, the 42" definitely does not have the problem of looking too big. Most people comment, "I thought the 42" would look a lot bigger." FYI, my viewing distance is about 8 feet.

As for hooking up bookshelf speakers, I did this with my 42", simply because I'm trying to get my head above water financially after purchasing the tv, and so I can't afford a receiver yet. It works fine. The sound is about what you'd expect from any tv, maybe a hair better. But then again, what can you expect on that setup.

A final note... I didn't realize how much I need a receiver until I tried hooking everything up to the TV. I'm not sure the specifics of inputs on the 37" but I know that with the 42" it is difficult to hook up everything without the video switching capabilities that a receiver provides you. There is the s-video override issue to be aware of, though I'm not sure that the 37" does this. In a word, start saving for that receiver, trust me, you'll want it.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Another fascinating note is that the Sony's 100% lack any possibility of being upgraded to DVI/HDCP which guarantees that they will not work with HD-DVD, which will require said interface.

Nice try on the FUD, but it's entirely wrong.

Mark

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
All 42 inch plasmas which quote 1024 lines are "interlaced". That is to say in a word there are NOT 1024 lines of pixels. It is marketing bull$%&.

Ooops, can I say that here? How about this "read the fine print very carefully". Still dont get it ? Do the math, divide the quoted #pixels by the horizontal resolution. Humm, its off by a factor of two.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Pixel size of ALIS screen is 0.90 x 0.51 mm (red/green/blue put together).

Now count again....and read the small prints!

You can take a look of some pics of "those" pixels that I put in another particle here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=133951

yeah take a gooood look and....count agin! (Can you count?):p

Joshy

PS The article above has been deleted by AVS Forum Moderator.

They accept accusations against Sony or Fujitsu but not against Panasonic.

Sony can even be compared to Nazi-Germany. Everything is allowed!

Members can lie, betrayed and "spit" on everything that has no name Panasonic on! But otherwise you will be banned or deleted!

Joshy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IUnknown
All 42 inch plasmas which quote 1024 lines are "interlaced". That is to say in a word there are NOT 1024 lines of pixels. It is marketing bull$%&.

Ooops, can I say that here? How about this "read the fine print very carefully". Still dont get it ? Do the math, divide the quoted #pixels by the horizontal resolution. Humm, its off by a factor of two.
This is not correct, sorry. Bad source.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.