AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, kind of newbie to this whole this better than the average television set business. Anyways.

I just have a question about this particular Set.
Panasonic 40" LCD Projection

I'm wondering about the possibilities of burn-in on such a set because I will engage in activities that may make the television more prone to burn in that what may be average.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i am sure others can better speak to technical reasons behind it but a LCD projector should not be as subject to burn in as a plasma - definitely one of the pros to this technology. Not having seen one of these units in life, i have to say my primary criticism is that it is butt-ugly. What were the panny designers thinking?

As well, this unit is a LCD rear projector versus a LCD panel so like the grand wega i gather it should appear in the rear projector forum rather than the flat panel display forum.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
LCDs do not suffer from burn in period. There are no phosphors.

What you will find is that the contrast ration is typically going to be less than 500:1 vs the quoted 3000:1 for the plasma. So if you actually looked at this set it might looked washed out. Although the panny plasma is more like 1200-1500:1 this makes a big difference.

A typical CRT set will be up above that 3000:1 contrast ratio. This includes any rear projectiuon CRT set. Front projectors are in the same range but any ambient light will have a similar effect on what you really see in the end. Like watching a movie in the theater with the lights on.

None the less, this looks like an interesting product. You might say its half the price of a plasma but you can get a plasma with aa contrast ratio in that range for $4000.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I saw this set at CES and was impressed by the brightness, although as a result it seemed a bit washed out. I will check it out at Best Buy as soon as I can find a local one that has it in stock.

I will note that $3000 is not a terrible MSRP for this set, especially given that I'd expect some mail-order discounters to come in lower. The advent of DLP-based RPTVs at 43, 50, and 55 inches, combined with this set (which is also supposed to have a 45-inch version out next month) means for interesting times. If we can get the mainstream 42" plasmas down to $4000 by year end, the competition should produce some wonderful deals.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.