17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some specs for your reference (couldn't post URLs, damn):

hxxp:// panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia/product/x10_plasma.html

hxxp:// panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia/product/s_plasma.html

hxxp:// panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia/product/g_plasma.html

hxxp:// panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia/product/v_plasma.html

hxxp:// panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia/product/z_plasma.html

I was going for an LCD (Samsung 40A650, Sony 40W450) when I came across Panny Plasma TH42S10S and it turned my head. In my eyes, much better than any LCD hands down. I was dismissing plasmas due to its low resolution, but now that it's 1920x1080, I'm seriously considering it. However, I still have a few questions before I whip out the cheque book. FYI, my only HD source will be Xbox360, DVD HDMI-upscaling, and PC (MKV stuff). My TV channels are still in SD, though I have a PS2 and Wii at 480p. So SD is still important as it constitutes half of my viewing resolution. Anyway:

1. People say get 600Hz sub-field drive to help with fast-moving scenes. The sets above are 550Hz, with G and V only enable 600Hz in Cinema Mode (which I obviously won't be using if I play Xbox360). Does it really make a difference? I've watched LG 42LH30 utilizing its 600Hz to play a DVD source and I honestly couldn't see any improvement.

2. If I can get the G10 over just a bit more than the S10, should I go for it instead? What advantage does the G10 have beside 600Hz SfDrive and 40,000 native contrast ratio? Or even the V?

3. LCDs are known for its crystal clear text-viewing. Can I use the plasma for a PC monitor just as clearly as LCD (for comparison: Sony 32V400)? Is the HDMI input better than the D-Sub?

4. Are there any issues I should know about with the S10 or the G10?

5. I figure the sets I listed above are known as 12G Panasonic models around here? I couldn't find the S10 thread (only found S1, I'm not sure it's the same model) so I don't know if the US models are the same with the Asian (like Sony's infamous KDL vs KLV
)

Thank you very much for your help.

· Registered
221 Posts
1. People say get 600Hz sub-field drive to help with fast-moving scenes. The sets above are 550Hz, with G and V only enable 600Hz in Cinema Mode (which I obviously won't be using if I play Xbox360). Does it really make a difference? I've watched LG 42LH30 utilizing its 600Hz to play a DVD source and I honestly couldn't see any improvement.

Cinema Mode is generally considered on the Panasonics to be the most accurate starting point for adjustments and professional calibration. I wasn't aware that changing the picture mode changed the sub-field drive. The LG tv you are referring to is also an LCD not a plasma. So I'm not aware of this set being 600Hz. It is only 60Hz. 600Hz isn't something to engage or disengage.

2. If I can get the G10 over just a bit more than the S10, should I go for it instead? What advantage does the G10 have beside 600Hz SfDrive and 40,000 native contrast ratio? Or even the V?

The G10 has the internet widget features (Stocks, weather, youtube, etc...) and also has a THX mode which works decently if you don't plan on calibration but want as accurate of a picture out the box with zero adjustments. I believe the primary colors are also more accurate than the S1 for calibration as well but don't quote me on that.

3. LCDs are known for its crystal clear text-viewing. Can I use the plasma for a PC monitor just as clearly as LCD (for comparison: Sony 32V400)? Is the HDMI input better than the D-Sub?

HDMI is the de facto standard for the best picture and audio quality. Plus I think the X1 and S1 don't have a standard PC VGA input therefore, you would have to use HDMI. In terms of using as a computer monitor, I would spend extra for a 1080p model for 1:1 pixel mapping. In terms of text looking sharper, I prefer the LCD but that is a HUGE personal opinion.

4. Are there any issues I should know about with the S10 or the G10?

There are no primary or secondary color adjustments for brightness, hue, or saturation. They also have no gamma adjustment but I believe you can adjust that with the service menu offsets and gains for white balance to get a 2.2 average gamma for calibration. There's not much else to really complain about with the new 1080p 12G Panasonic models.

5. I figure the sets I listed above are known as 12G Panasonic models around here? I couldn't find the S10 thread (only found S1, I'm not sure it's the same model) so I don't know if the US models are the same with the Asian (like Sony's infamous KDL vs KLV )

These are the 12G models. I haven't heard of an S10 model. Only a S1, G10, and I believe G15. So it I was a betting man, I'd say the S1 and S10 is probably a typo (maybe not) but probably the same TV.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cinema Mode is generally considered on the Panasonics to be the most accurate starting point for adjustments and professional calibration. I wasn't aware that changing the picture mode changed the sub-field drive. The LG tv you are referring to is also an LCD not a plasma. So I'm not aware of this set being 600Hz. It is only 60Hz. 600Hz isn't something to engage or disengage.

Sorry, I meant LQ30. It is plasma, 1330x768 and 600Hz. LG also has LQ60, the only difference being it's panel being single layer. Cosmetic stuff, I believe. The Panny site clearly said the 600Hz is only available at when using Cinema Mode, so I wonder if it will actually improve my Xbox360 experience.

The G10 has the internet widget features (Stocks, weather, youtube, etc...) and also has a THX mode which works decently if you don't plan on calibration but want as accurate of a picture out the box with zero adjustments. I believe the primary colors are also more accurate than the S1 for calibration as well but don't quote me on that.

Hmm... Won't need any of those online stuff. So I guess I'm not missing much, huh? What about picture quality and the like? Can someone confirm that the G10 does better than the S1? About youtube, how do you browse for videos on the TV - I don't suppose you can connect KB+M through the USB ports?

HDMI is the de facto standard for the best picture and audio quality. Plus I think the X1 and S1 don't have a standard PC VGA input therefore, you would have to use HDMI. In terms of using as a computer monitor, I would spend extra for a 1080p model for 1:1 pixel mapping. In terms of text looking sharper, I prefer the LCD but that is a HUGE personal opinion.

The S1 (if it is the same as the S10 I saw) has the following inputs: HDMI x3, Component x2, Composite x4, D-sub (PC VGA) x1. S-Video is probably in one of the Composite. The S1 is already 1920x1080, so it is 1:1.
I'm fairly satisfied at the text shown in the demo, but I would like to hear from someone who actually connect a PC/laptop to this TV through HDMI and/or the D-sub terminal.

There are no primary or secondary color adjustments for brightness, hue, or saturation. They also have no gamma adjustment but I believe you can adjust that with the service menu offsets and gains for white balance to get a 2.2 average gamma for calibration. There's not much else to really complain about with the new 1080p 12G Panasonic models.

Thanks. I'm not that much of the tinker. I guess I'm fine at that dept. About calibration though, will I really need to calibrate the TV? I like different settings for different situation (TV, DVD, Game, etc)...

These are the 12G models. I haven't heard of an S10 model. Only a S1, G10, and I believe G15. So it I was a betting man, I'd say the S1 and S10 is probably a typo (maybe not) but probably the same TV.

Oh! There is a G15? What's the difference between the G10 and the G15?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found available models in my country:

TH-P42S10S: http://panasonic.co.id/web/pid/8088/Spec

TH-P42G11S: http://panasonic.co.id/web/pid/8086/Spec

G11 already has DTV tuner, constrast ratio 40,000:1 Infinite Black, 600Hz subfield drive, with 2 (instead of 1) inputs each for S-Video and Component (though they're all co-input with AV1-4). Swivel is a nice bonus. Frowning at the extra 100 wattage though. Do you guys think the G11 is worth the extra cost?

· Registered
221 Posts
Use cinema for accuracy of picture. Just because something says game or movie mode, doesn't necessarily mean it is meant to be used as such. Do you need calibration? That's up to you. You don't need a TV, but you are getting one. Read some stuff on avsforum about it. I'm sure there are lots of guys in your area qualified to make your set look its best. The G10 is also input dependent. Meaning You can adjust HDMI 1 for cinema different than you could for HDMI 2 cinema. The S1 model is global meaning Cinema will have the same settings for each input. Generally you are right, each device normally needs its own set of settings for adjustment and tinkering to look its best. This is where the G10 will shine over the S1.

The 600Hz thing is something every plasma is coming with this year so I wouldn't be worried about finding a plasma that has it. They are good with fast action whether it has 600Hz on the box or not. Plasmas normally have low input lag (basically the delay when you press a button to what shows up on screen). Panasonics are known to have good input lag so Panasonic is a great brand to go with for that. I've gamed on both plasmas and LCDs and I like both so its really personal preference. The movie aspect though, plasmas have richer colors and better blacks giving a more detailed picture especially in low lighting rooms.

I would say if you can the extra $100 bucks (which in most places the G10 is about $100 more) I'd say spring for a G10 in the size you want. 46" 50" etc...

Hope this helps.

· Registered
221 Posts
BTW where are you located? I noticed you are looking at Indonesia and China website variants of panasonics website. I know nothing about those the model numbers overseas so you might want to find someone over there that knows the model numbers better. And if you live over there, I'm not sure its going to be so easy to find someone who can calibrate your tv if you choose to do so.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Indonesia. So what Mahokash said is true: the S10 isn't NeoPDP. However, I'm still satisfied with the PQ. I'm just wondering if the NeoPDP in G11 makes it even better. Haven't run across one, yet. It's got everything I want in a TV - almost, I hear PiP/PoP is not avaiable?

@germanplumber: I'll have to confirm about the S10 settings being not input dependent. AFAIK, the S1 in the US is already 600Hz SfDrive and NeoPDP, while the Asian's S10 is still 550Hz and not NeoPDP.

@Mashokash: Could you please tell me what you know about the Asian's S10 and G10? Thank you very much.

· Registered
2 Posts
hi all,

ramesh here from singapore. i just got the Panansonic TH-P42G11S. i'm allowing it to settle in first. would like to hear from anyone who is using this model to share tips and thoughts on the plasma.

thks & rgds,

ramesh

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Ramesh. Welcome to the forum.
I'm looking forward to read your review and impression of the G11. What is your input sources (Ex: SD TV, HD TV, Xbox360, Blu-ray, DVD, DTV, etc)? If you would, please post your impressions as I am considering to purchase the TH-P42G11S as well.

BTW, AFAIK the G11 is actually similar to the G10 in the US (lots of threads about it here), without the Digital TV Tuner. So you might want to browse around to pick up info from fellow owners.

· Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys, I am waiting for your reviews on Panasonic. I am also looking to buy a Tv for my bedroom and was considering a 42" Plasama and cant decide between Samsung PS42B450B1M and panasonic TH-P42G11S. Which one to go for?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.