Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, please help!

Just bought Pan. 42PWD6, it looks beautiful on the Studio Tech stand, but what's the use- with my connections it shows NO SIGNAL SCREEN- I feel so incredibly stupid!

I have 4 sources to connect:

1.Comcast HD box,

2. Sattelite box (Please don't even ask why both- for the significant other

is the answer),

3. VCR

4. DVD (Philips DVD 963 SA)

and, of course 6- channel Outlaw 1050 Reciever,

Please, could somebody guide me through the step-by-step process, and I mean which cable goes where,and what type of cable should I use for each component. Just imagine that you are helping somebody with no understanding of the connection subject. This is my first HD/ED/ multichannel setup. I only been dealing with stereo only.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Maril,

A week without a reply - close to a record in this forum!

There is no HD in France, thus no Comquest boxes either, so I can't be of any help there.

But do try to get that Sat box hooked up for those who matter. ;)

On this side of the ocean they use a wierd multipin SCART connector. You're in luck, I think that in the US the sat box outputs in Composite? Just a simple plug with an very skinny inner pin and an outside metal ring? If so, you'll need to buy a pretty standard "composite" cable plus a Radio Shack or other brand "Composite to BNC" adapter plug as the Panny's use the better BNC connectors (still a composite signal, just better metal hardware used). Otherwise, it may well have a superior (color signal separated from light signal -ie. chroma/luma) Y-C separated "S-VHS" connector. In this case just buy an S-VHS cable to go from the Sat box to the Panny (I'd recommend the easier to find Monster Video "3" S-VHS cable or the harder to find and more expensive Nordost S-VHS cable).

VCR is a no brainer: use an S-VHS cable (better quality is really better) to link it to the Sat box (which can then go through the Sat box connection to the Panny). Otherwise, if it has component out, you can hook it directly to the Panny's Component inputs, but need once again an adapter, this time a component to BNC connector (maybe also found at Rat Shack?).

DVD: you'd best try out the best pic you can get from it. If progressive, maybe the component out to the Panny is preferred, in which case you may need a switcher box to direct several component sources to a single component input hookup in the Panny. Otherwise, try the composite or S-VHS - if you've got a top notch interlaced D/A converter in that Phillips, and if its progressive conversion and deinterlacing isn't as good as the Panny's, then you'll prefer feeding the display a plain old pure and unadulterated interlaced signal.

Hope this helps get the ball rolling. Others here know much more than I, so they'll be able to answer further questions.

Cheers,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.