AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DVI connection from my LSS-3200A and my direct Denon 1600 connection via component to my Panasonic 42PWD6 are flawless. However, for the life of my I can't get a picture via composite from my VCR . I know the connections/settings (port, cable, and monitor) are okay since I am able to see a picture when I connect directly to the STB. The VCR is okay since it was working with my old TV. I am connecting the video cable from the VCR "out to tv" to the "video in" on the monitor. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing is connected to s-video. When I went to radio shack to get an rca to coax connector (to connect to the VCR), the sales person said I needed an external adapter for the composite connection. Not sure what he was talking about. My thought that I should be able to connect it the same as I did with my old tv.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You will need an RF modulator to connect the RCA (yellow cable) to an F-connector (coax) connection. Does your VCR have a coax output?

Dan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My "out to tv" from my VCR is a coax connection.

Since I have a composite cable with BNC and RCA connections, I thought a simple adapter would do.

My VCR is 14 years old. I am going to toss it and get a new one with the right connection so I don't need to use a modulator.

Thank you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jperkins
My VCR is 14 years old. I am going to toss it and get a new one with the right connection so I don't need to use a modulator.

Thank you.
Better idea IMO. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are you sure it is connected to the video in port?

I beleive you need a BNC to RCA adapter (I got one at Radio Shack) to connect the composite video.

After you connect the VCR, you probably will not want to watch it anyway.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jperkins
My "out to tv" from my VCR is a coax connection. (...) My VCR is 14 years old. I am going to toss it and get a new one with the right connection so I don't need to use a modulator.
It looks to me like this is actually your only option, since it sounds like your VCR has no video-output (typically yellow RCA connector) whatsoever... . RF-modulators I know of - they go the other way: they are used to connect video-output (RCA or BNC) of the source (in this case VCR) to the RF-input (aka radio-frequency, coaxial, F-connector) of the receiver (in this case the TV set).

You need the opposite - to connect RF-output to video-input (since Panny 42PWD6UY has no RF-input). I've never heard of separate RF-modulator (or should it be rather called de-modulator?) doing that. They sure exist ...somewhere, but it very well might be plain cheaper to replace the whole VCR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.