AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 3rd HDTV and am really unhappy with SD reception off of Directv. HD is fabulous.

SD has a little blur. Have tried HDMI, Component and std Video/audio in and none is as good as my other HDTV.

Don't hear much about SD on HD sets. This is making me think about returning for another model.

Please let me know if others have this issue with Panasonic.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyjar /forum/post/0

Just bought my 3rd HDTV and am really unhappy with SD reception off of Directv. HD is fabulous.

SD has a little blur. Have tried HDMI, Component and std Video/audio in and none is as good as my other HDTV.

Don't hear much about SD on HD sets. This is making me think about returning for another model.

Please let me know if others have this issue with Panasonic.

The problem is not the TV because the Panasonic ED plasma argueably displays 480i sources better than any other PDP on the market. [Edit - i mistakenly thought it was an ED set, but it's actually an HD set but still it should not have this problem]

Your problem is the crappy overly compressed signal that DirecTV gives you. I've compared DirecTV SD to Digital SD Cable back to back first on my old Tube TVs, then again later on my Panny HD Plasma, and DirecTV was fuzzy and kinda blurry compared to digital cable on both sets.

Play a DVD on your ED plasma and i bet the picture is way better than the 480i programming you're getting over satellite. If so, then it must be the signal because digital SD over Cable looks virtually DVD quality. No so with DirecTV despite their false advertising claims that it beats cable.

And if you think HD looks good on DirecTV, you'd be blown away by the better PQ over Cable or OTA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have played dvd over all connections also and still am not completely satisfied it is not the TV. DVD on std dvd player and on upconverting player still produce a little fuzzziness and also display a little double image particularly on written words like titles and such.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

I have played dvd over all connections also and still am not completely satisfied it is not the TV. DVD on std dvd player and on upconverting player still produce a little fuzzziness and also display a little double image particularly on written words like titles and such.
Quote:

So it could be there is something wrong with my new Panny???

You can't expect your SD source to look like HD. Just ain't going to happen.

SD will always look a bit fuzzy in comparison. What you need to figure out is if SD looks good enough. If not, then try a ED set (this will make HD look a tiny bit worse, so the difference won't be so noticable) or a Pioneer.

Double image is a bit scary, but it would seem that if it were your set, you would see it on HD as well as SD.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:

Try turning the sharpness setting down. If this setting is too high, it accentuates edges and scaling artifacts and can make the picture look grainy/noisy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand diff between sd and hd. Been using set top box since they first came out.

I guess my whole point is sd picture quality on this Panny is not as good as sd pq on 2 other hd displays that I have in den and theater room. I can place panny beside other sets and input same signal and Hitachi 51" rear projection and Infocus projecter both produce a better sd picture.

Maybe this is difference between hitachi crts and dlp projector and the plasma.

This is for my wife in the bedroom and it is bad enough she wants me to return it.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

This is for my wife in the bedroom and it is bad enough she wants me to return it.

If it were me, before I went through that hassle, I'd play with the settings to provide the best SD picture possible & see if it was acceptable. Things like sharpness, noise reduction, etc. Try adjusting them & seeing where it gets you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For those saying his Panny "EDTV" is supposed to be great for SD, he has a HDTV, not EDTV - different model #. Anyways, I bought the EDTV recently sor just that reason, none of the HDTV sets i saw looked good enough in SD, which we watch a ton more.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh /forum/post/0

For those saying his Panny "EDTV" is supposed to be great for SD, he has a HDTV, not EDTV - different model #. Anyways, I bought the EDTV recently sor just that reason, none of the HDTV sets i saw looked good enough in SD, which we watch a ton more.

Oh crap you're right! I saw SD and D* and mentally converted his model number to 42PD60U in my mind

Regardless, even the HD version should display SD very very well, almost as well as it's ED counterpart. My HD Panny displays SD great ! It's very clear and not blurry or anything and displays SD better than my old 27" Sony Trinitron tube TV.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My brother-in-law bought our 3½ year old Panny 42" ED after we upgraded to the 50" 9UK, and he has DirectTV. SD doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did with Comcast cable at our house. It's not terrible, but very soft. I think compression has a lot to do with it.

-Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.