AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can these be seen at in stores? I know CC, BB, etc doesn't but do A/V type stores carry these?


What connections come with this set? Would i be able to connect my set top via component and my PC via VGA without getting a blade?


Does this set have digital/optical out to hook up to an A/V receiver?


The price on these are fantastic....although, you have to buy the stand for $200, the PX 500U seems close to this price.


I'm tormented....all set to buy the Sony A10 but the Panny price drop is making me reconsider. I don't want the PX50U because i need the PC input. The HD8Uk is appealing because i use external speakers and would be using a HDDVR set top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Where can these be seen at in stores? I know CC, BB, etc doesn't but do A/V type stores carry these?
Mostly on-line.

Quote:
What connections come with this set? Would i be able to connect my set top via component and my PC via VGA without getting a blade?
http://www.glaucobruzzi.com/plasma-f...37&postcount=2


Quote:
Does this set have digital/optical out to hook up to an A/V receiver?
Nope.

Quote:
The price on these are fantastic....although, you have to buy the stand for $200, the PX 500U seems close to this price.
You can get the TY-ST42PA20U Stand for 1/4 at that price at Ebay. Do a search for more info.




.
Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
31,443 Posts
Sounds like you are deciding between the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK and the Panasonic TH-42PX500U. If you have seen the 50U or the 500U the screens should be the same as the 8UK. They are set up different seeing that one is a "Commercial" unit and the other a "Consumer" unit but the PQ should be very close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
I keep hearing (reading) that the commercial models are clearly superior to the consumer models...primarily from CNET but also from posters here. Also read that there are more tweaks available to the commercial models, and additional zoom features, PIP etc. Am I misinformed or just plain confused?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
The commercial model does have more "tweakability" than the consumer. Download the op manuals from Panasonic and compare. But it all depends on your situation. Some guys (and gals) prefer the convenience of a built-in tuner, speakers, stand over the tweakability.


OTOH the type of folks that lurk here tend toward a higher echelon of "geeky-ness" (new word?), and prefer to tweak and adjust more than the average Joe.


I've been waiting and watching for these for a long time, especially the 50-incher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
There is a new compelling price on the 50". Check out VA's forum specials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
i actually have a question about the commercial units -- they still have the "wide, zoom and just" aspect adjustment features for use with less than 16:9 sources, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Have what might be a dumb question about the UK's. I like the look of these better that the PX500u. I have read about cable cards and how much better the pic is than with the STB. Is it possible there could be a CC blade in the future? Or is the CC something I should not be worried about.


When I eventually bite the bullet will be hooked up to comcast cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc
There is a new compelling price on the 50". Check out VA's forum specials.
I would be getting the 42" . The prices are definately enticing but you'd have to add about $400 for the stand and shipping not to mention a blade which is another $150-$175. Apparently i would need a blade for an optical/digital out to connect my A/V receiver. I'm hoping the 500U drops in price as i can't get the 50U due to lack of PC input. I wish someone knew where i can see these in person, but i do know the "industrial" models are awesome looking (i like simplicity).

I must add that i had planned to buy the Sony A10 RPTV but have reconsidered my first choice of Plasma because of the Panny price drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
I would be getting the 42" . The prices are definately enticing but you'd have to add about $400 for the stand and shipping not to mention a blade which is another $150-$175. Apparently i would need a blade for an optical/digital out to connect my A/V receiver. I'm hoping the 500U drops in price as i can't get the 50U due to lack of PC input. I wish someone knew where i can see these in person, but i do know the "industrial" models are awesome looking (i like simplicity).

I must add that i had planned to buy the Sony A10 RPTV but have reconsidered my first choice of Plasma because of the Panny price drop.
Why do you want audio optical/digital output from the plasma? The commerical version does not have a tuner, it is a monitor. Your cablebox optical out would go into your A/V receiver. If you want or need DVI or HDMI, then you would need the blade for it, otherwise, if the HD8 is like the HD7, it has s-video, composite, analog component and PC input.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur
Have what might be a dumb question about the UK's. I like the look of these better that the PX500u. I have read about cable cards and how much better the pic is than with the STB. Is it possible there could be a CC blade in the future? Or is the CC something I should not be worried about.


When I eventually bite the bullet will be hooked up to comcast cable.
No. Commercial monitors will never be configured to accommodate CableCARDs because they lack the internal tuner's required for DCR TV's.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top