AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here's my situation. I bought the Panasonic 42x14 (Sam's version) plasma and LOVE it! 720p is perfect for us because I have no plans (or care) for blu-ray and the picture has been awesome for regular OTA digital broadcast (hd and non hd) and old movies. No issues at all and as smooth a picture as my old CRTs.

This is the problem. I want a bigger TV but my wife's cherished entertainment center has a vertical TV opening of just under 30" high (meant for a 32-36" CRT) and it's not going anywhere soon. I would like to squeeze a 46" Panny plasma there but it's a stinking 0.5" too tall and I haven't noticed any thin bezel Panasonics lately. If I could remove the base and fab/rig some kind of metal base/mount, then I could fit a 46" or do I dare?, even 50" there! Basically, I want a 46" (plasma or lcd) that is under 30" but has similar picture quality to what I have.

The main TV that comes to mind is Sony's thin bezel 46" LCD tvs but would they be similar in picture quality, motion,etc? Unless I find a plasma with a thin bezel and similar PQ to mine, looks like I'll have to go LCD. I know I need to do some viewing of my own but knowing how stores don't always play fair with tv calibration/settings, I wanted some input here. Sorry for the novel!

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy88
Hey guys, here's my situation. I bought the Panasonic 42x14 (Sam's version) plasma and LOVE it! 720p is perfect for us because I have no plans (or care) for blu-ray and the picture has been awesome for regular OTA digital broadcast (hd and non hd) and old movies. No issues at all and as smooth a picture as my old CRTs.

This is the problem. I want a bigger TV but my wife's cherished entertainment center has a vertical TV opening of just under 30" high (meant for a 32-36" CRT) and it's not going anywhere soon. I would like to squeeze a 46" Panny plasma there but it's a stinking 0.5" too tall and I haven't noticed any thin bezel Panasonics lately. If I could remove the base and fab/rig some kind of metal base/mount, then I could fit a 46" or do I dare?, even 50" there! Basically, I want a 46" (plasma or lcd) that is under 30" but has similar picture quality to what I have.
It looks liike all their 50" Plasmas are a little over 30" tall without the stand, but the 46 inchers are well under 30" tall without the stand.

Even if the opening were high enough to use the factory table stand, the TV would be set back about 6 inches in that opening if you don't want the base of the stand protruding out from the front edge of the shelf.

If you're handy with wood and steel and tools, you could come up with a way of mounting the TV in that cabinet opening using an articulated wall mount so the TV basically "hovers" inside that opening. This would enable you to turn it to get to the cables on the back, and enables you to pull it out flush with the face of the cabinet.

A few years ago a friend wanted to put their new 42" Plasma into the upper opening in his wife's huge old antique Armoire but it the TV was too tall. She wouldn't let us drill into it or bolt a bracket to it or anything. So i built a sort of "sled" stand using Power Strut channel. It basically consisted of a 20" deep base bolted to two upright posts bolted to the front edge, then i hung the TV on these posts using the wall mounting holes on the back with the TV ending up hovering about a half inch above the shelf. On that 20" deep base that extends fully rearward, we placed two large concrete blocks onto it as counterweights to keep the TV from tipping forward. I installed felt material to the bottom of the sled to protect the wood shelf and make it easy to slide around (the opening was plenty wide). We were able to slide the TV forward till the screen almost touched the inside of the closed doors so it's almost flush out front and it works perfectly. The TV/sled assembly just sits on that upper shelf. The extra weight of the strut structure and bricks wasn't a problem because this Armoire is built like a tank and the shelf is very strong.

Quote:
The main TV that comes to mind is Sony's thin bezel 46" LCD tvs but would they be similar in picture quality, motion,etc? Unless I find a plasma with a thin bezel and similar PQ to mine, looks like I'll have to go LCD.
You'll probably want to stick with Plasma - the LCDs don't look as good.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah a fellow Macguyver!
The extended/swing type of wall tv mount might be a plausible alternative. It would only require cutting out a section of the ent. center backing and with the mount attached to the wall, the tv could 'hover' in the opening so to speak...I believe the only issue would be where my wall studs lie in relation to the ent. center tv opening.

I've never used/installed a wall mount but would imagine it would have to be pretty much in line with the center of the tv/opening...

Unfortunately, a 50" may be a pipe dream for now (1/2"!!!!! argh!!!), so a 46" may be my only choice though I'm wondering at 13' away, how much difference a 46" vs 42" will have to the eye.

If I could find something like those restaurant monitors with the razor thin bezels, I could do a 50" almost....we'll see....42" is small enough, but these 2:35 ratio movies are killing me!

BTW, thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.