AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Best Buy says they will have these in stock starting July 8th. Has anyone heard any reviews of this set recently or got their hands on one?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Since it hasn't started shipping yet, nobody has actually seen a production version. You probably won't see any magazine reviews for at least 3 months either.

I saw a pre-production version at a Panasonic dealer show in early March, but it had clearly seen better days. If you want to get an idea of what the picture quality of the 47" might look like, look for one of the new PT-51HX41's as I believe they will be similar on the inside.

The 51HX41 tracks gray scale wonderfully, and the line doubler's 3:2 pulldown reversal seems to work great, but this set has a very aggressive SVM circuit and the colour decoder pushes red into the stratosphere. Unfortunately, Panasonic has also 'simplified' the service menu, so at this point in time anyway, there is no way to fix these problems.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

There might be a way out of this though. I hear that the Pannys have a more extended service menu that is accessible. Some high up Panny folk have mentioned that the ISF folk might be able to get access to it.

I will see where that goes. My local HT store is apparently getting the exclusive for the new 16:9 units and as part of the arrangement, they are to be supplied all relevant manuals and access codes for me to do the calibration work.

Will know more in a month or so when the sets actually start arriving in stores. I just hope they don't do that nasty edge enhancement any more.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

[This message has been edited by Michael TLV (edited 06-13-2001).]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael TLV-

I would really like to hear a first hand account of a production set when you get some in. I can't really find out any other information about this set besides the archives on AVS. Panasonic doesn't even mention it on their site... all they have is a press release!

Patrick

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link. Cool information. My Best Buy said they had plans to put one on display as soon as they get them in. I'll make sure to post when I find out anymore info.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Michael, hopefully you are right. I was emailed contact information for someone at Panasonic Canada that is supposedly willing to divulge this information to 'qualified' individuals. I emailed him a few days ago and so far, no response.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Panasonic has updated their website to include information on this HDTV.

Click here for the link

Anyone seen or have any reviews on this TV? It is getting close to the release date here in Nashville and I'm really wanting to hear what others think of it.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
906 Posts
I saw this TV in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. The dealer said they were first in Canada to recieve it. It looked very good. Convergence, geometry, color looked very good. They do service on these sets so I doubt it was right out of the box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have this TV on display at Circuity City. I made them put it out on Saturday when it came in. We have over 400 in our warehouses, so I would imagine all of our other stores have it in stock as well.

Personally, I'm going to buy it very soon as it's a perfect size for a small apartment.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The rough math for the size television you should get is to take the distance from your seating position to the front of the screen and divide by three.

So if it's 12 feet from your chair/couch to the front of the TV a 47" TV would work great.

12feet = 144 inches. 144/3= 48.

I for one can't wait to see this TV. The size and price is great: hopefully the picture will be pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.