Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Here in Calgary I saw (at Futureshop) a new model

my Panasonic, the 47WX81 HDTV. This is a 16:9 screen.

It was running off a

DVD and its pic looked GREAT. It's price was $3400 CDN.

Does anyone have any comments on this tv or similars?

Are Panasonic's any good?

Darryl

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never heard of the 47WX81. I have the 47WX49 (same as the 47WX51 w/o the protective screen). The TV looks great. It was just the right size and price range for me. The internal line doubler is pretty good and it does 3:2 pulldown on film sources.

The only problems are red push and SVM. Red push is fixable in the service menus. No word yet on disabling SVM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps this is a Canadian model. I am in Calgary, AB.

I don't know what Red Push is, nor SVM. what it that stuff?

Darryl

·
Registered
52 Posts
Red Push is the tendency of the color decoder in most sets to over-emphasive reds. After the set is calibrated, reds will be way too saturated and total color saturation has to be turned down to fix the problem. The better fix is to go into the service menus and fix the color decoder problem at the source.

SVM is scan velocity modulation. I'm not sure exactly what it is trying to do, but shows up as ghosting around black shapes on a white background. It also makes the black areas larger than they actually are. The best way to see this is to pull up a checkerboard pattern on the Avia test disc. Here is a good site on the topic:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/svm.html

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Is the 47WX49 the NEW model which folks have been expecting to be released in July or is it merely last years model?

What size guns are in it?

Does anyone know what the TRUE resolution of this TV is?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The model at Future shop is the X51 ... the X49 is not available in the Canadian market.

Red Push is fixable.

SVM is also fixable albeit a bit more involved and difficult.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I answered ONE of my own questions - this is the NEW model I have been waiting to come out since it was announced this winter.

I own the 34" Panasonic Tau which I LOVE but I would like a bigger screen and 47" is perfect for my living room. I have the requisite equipment for watching OTA HD as well as DISH's HD offerings.

I know it is fun to rag on Best Buy but I just came back from attempting to check this TV out at BB and I am really steamed.

The thing was on the top shelf so I had to stare up at it and it was sitting right next to an NTSC projection TV. The picture was only marginally better which I assume was due to the built in line doubler.

So, I get one of the employees and asked him what the source material was since I could see that ALL the TV's in the store were showing the same thing.

He tells me it is a Laser disk playing through an HDTV STB. I did not believe him so I made him take me in the back and he shows me a laser disk player and the infamous RCA DTC100. I had to explain to him that the DTC100 was not feeding the TV only the laser disk was. He was very insistent that it was until I showed him that the DTC100 was turned OFF.

So I ditch this guy and get another employee. I asked him why the picture was so awful and his answer was "What do you mean, that is a great picture". I asked him if he had ever seen True HD and he said no.

Then I asked him why they were not feeding this thing a true HD signal or at least a DVD and he tells me that the Laser disk was going through an HDTV decoder and was being displayed in 720P!

I got the Manager and asked to have this thing moved onto the floor so I could really see it instead of staring 6 feet up and that I wanted to see at least a progesssive scan DVD played into it. He would not do it.

" Okay, suppose I buy this thing and take it home and see what the PQ really is. Can I return it if I do not like it"

"Sure but we have to charge a 15% re-stocking fee"

I noticed that they had my Panasonic Tau for $3499 on display with the same cra**y source material and PQ which I pointed out to him.

I asked the manager how the heck he expects to sell these expensive TV's if they present them this way.

His answer - go see one at The Big Screen Store around the corner. Course I already know they ONLY sell Mitsubishi.

I got so d** mad that I told him VERY loudly that Best Buy should stick to selling Refrigerators and Computer stuff and that HE should learn SOMETHING about High Definition TV's.

I stormed out of the store with about 15 people staring at me like I was a wacko http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

So, I still have NO clue as to whether this TV has a PQ that is any good or not.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this TV or can point me to some links where folks have reviewed it?

Sorry for the rant but maybe someone can point me in the right direction besides the door http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently went to CC and BB to look at the various 32, 34 and 36 inch HD sets. They are all showing a HD demo loop connected to the sets through the RF coax input. What a joke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael TLV:
Greetings

The model at Future shop is the X51 ... the X49 is not available in the Canadian market.

Red Push is fixable.

SVM is also fixable albeit a bit more involved and difficult.

Regards

Hi Michael...I assume the red push and SVM problems would be fixable by an ISF technician. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.