AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic th-42pwd6uy plasma monitor, today i just got my hd receiver installed and oh my gosh is this a great picture! i have had the output set to 480p but then i get a yellow line in the picture across the top of the monitor, but if i change the setting on the receiver to 720p and the line goes away, now my question is this. i know that the best i can get is 480p but with setting at 720p is my picture being down graded to 480p

or is the picture going back to the defaul of 480i?

thank you for any information that you may have

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You should stick at 480p, as your plasma is a perfect 480p display, and so causing a signal to be uprezzed to 720p, only to be downrezzed by your plasma to 480p, can only introduce picture degradation. As for the yellow line, the thing to do is to move the picture with the remote control vertically up a notch or two so that you can't see it.

Note that your plasma is inherently a 480p device, so there's no way it can display 480i. Whatever you feed it will be turned into 852x480 (roughly 480p). 480i, and other interlaced signals (like 1080i), are only "natively" displayed by CRT-type devices, not fixed pixel devices like plasmas, many projectors, and lcd's.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Panasonic's scaler is superior so I say use 720p or even 1080i into it and let it do the downscaling, you will get a higher quality picture.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The Panasonic's scaler is superior so I say use 720p or even 1080i into it and let it do the downscaling, you will get a higher quality picture.
Agreed. I think the plasma scaler is the difference tho purists would doubtless protest the reduction over native. I think the Panny scaler is likely the reason my Sammy HD931 looks slightly better on my PA2OU ouputting 1080i than 480p even tho its an ED plasma...a course, my vision may be going as I get older so I could be wrong...:p

elvis

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
But . . . . if your source material isn't 720p/1080i to begin with, it makes absolutely no sense to uprez and then have the Panny downrez!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdryja
But . . . . if your source material isn't 720p/1080i to begin with, it makes absolutely no sense to uprez and then have the Panny downrez!
If there is line doubing, which is basically what an upcon DVD player does, as I understand it, it still makes sense, as you still capture that and downrez it...

elvis

·
Registered
380 Posts
whoa wait a minute. you are talking about an hd receiver right? which means 1080i or 720p right.. you should definitely stick with one of those, preferably 720p

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chucko
My Panny ED has the best picture when I feed it 1080i, regardless of the the received signal.

Chucko
But with 1080i (or 720) you can't use the Panny's excellent JUST mode to stretch 4:3 material (i.e., without an external scaler).

·
Registered
380 Posts
bottom line i think it depends on your hd box. on a motorola 5100 stb that i have you can set output at 720p or 1080i, and then set 4:3 bypass to 480p or 480i, meaning on the hd channels it will send in 720p or 1080i (whatever you choose to specify), but on non HD channels yo get 480i which can be used in just mode. most box should have this feature, no?

only sacrifice is that on hd channels that are broadcasting ED shows (ie local news), you will get 4:3 image with side bars since the side bars are part of the broadcast and the plasma will think it is 16:9, thus no just mode here.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
ditto526

Try setting it at 1080i and see if your yellow line doesn't go away and your HD picture improve. It's what I had to do on my HD200 and 42" Fujitsu ED, boy what a difference. Ken Ross was the one that helped me out with that..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.