AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased (2) Panasonic TH-42PX600U plasmas; one for the Living Room and another for the Master bedroom. I am very happy with the 600U series Panasonic and need one more for my basement where most of the TV seating resides. The average viewing distance will be around 13 feet. I love the price for the 50" (TH-50PX600U), but wondering if the 58" would be better to accommodate multiple viewing angles and further viewing distance (13' as opposed to 10' in my Living Room). Also, besides a big price jump, would I lose any picture quality going from the 50 to the 58? Any other disadvantages?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Definitely go for the 58". From up real close, you might find the picture on the 50" slightly better, but from 13 feet you will appreciate the larger detail provided by the bigger screen. I saw them together once, both showing a rocky cliff. Features on the cliff were easily observable on the 58", but were hardly noticeable on the 50". Look for the 58" locally - it might be next to a 50" so you can compare for yourself.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, I admit to being biased. I own the 58PX600U, and it really is a fantastic set, especially from 13 ft away. We sit anywhere from 10 ft to 20 ft, and it makes a big difference compared to the 50" at those distances. Remember, although it is only 8" larger than the 50", its surface area (which is what matters) is over 30% bigger.

Yes, the price of the 58" is a lot more than the 50". But over the past year, the price of the 58" has really plummeted, so that today you can get it for not that much more than a good 50" set cost a year ago. I consider it the best value in its size class.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclearman /forum/post/0

From 13' the bigger the better. In fact, I would probably go with a 67'+ RPTV (LCoS or DLP) if it fits the space.

do not, and I repeat, read anything in the above post
, Lycos, are you kidding me, compared to a 58" PDP Panny, yea right

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswall1969 /forum/post/0

I recently purchased (2) Panasonic TH-42PX600U plasmas; one for the Living Room and another for the Master bedroom. I am very happy with the 600U series Panasonic and need one more for my basement where most of the TV seating resides. The average viewing distance will be around 13 feet. I love the price for the 50" (TH-50PX600U), but wondering if the 58" would be better to accommodate multiple viewing angles and further viewing distance (13' as opposed to 10' in my Living Room). Also, besides a big price jump, would I lose any picture quality going from the 50 to the 58? Any other disadvantages?

I believe that you will greatly regret a 50" from that distance particularly if you do a lot of movie viewing and want a "big screen" effect. A 65" would be even better but the 58" over the 50" for sure.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Our sponsors have the 58" at very attractive prices. Give them a try.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I don't mean to change the thread, but the 50PX600U can be had for around $2500, while the 58PX600U for $4000 (from reputable dealers). IMHO, if you have a basement, why not go with a Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Optoma, or Sony 720p projector with a 90" - 120" fixed screen. You will be around $2500 with the screen and the picture quality should look tremedous. For a basement configuration, you are selling yourself short by not looking into this situation. However, this is my 2cents...

Cree

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
get the 58" panny or even better for that range get the 65".

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/0

I don't mean to change the thread, but the 50PX600U can be had for around $2500, while the 58PX600U for $4000 (from reputable dealers). IMHO, if you have a basement, why not go with a Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Optoma, or Sony 720p projector with a 90" - 120" fixed screen. You will be around $2500 with the screen and the picture quality should look tremedous. For a basement configuration, you are selling yourself short by not looking into this situation. However, this is my 2cents...

Cree

If you like the look of projected content in the home then that may be a viable alternative.

I had the occasion to visit the Sony Qualia store in Vegas before Qualia went away. They had the 30k Qualia projector whose screen pulled down over their 70" SXRD RPTV display. I was there at the time to look at the SXRD RPTV and so after a bit the salesman asked if I wanted to view the projector. I said why not but as he lowered the screen down over the SXRD I asked him to stop the screen half way. He then ran the demo, a BD prototype by the way, on both displays.

OMG what a difference. The RPTV was way, and I mean way, better. Plasma is better yet. No comparison for me. Much brighter and realistic. A looking-through-the-window you-are-there clarity rather than looking at a duller reflection off a silky surfaced screen effect. (Edit: and the SXRD is a screen but the Qualia SXRD was at least glass unlike the current Sony SXRDs)

Both have their place but the PQ on a plasma is quite a bit different than a projector.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

If you like the look of projected content in the home then that may be a viable alternative.

I had the occasion to visit the Sony Qualia store in Vegas before Qualia went away. They had the 30k Qualia projector whose screen pulled down over their 70" SXRD RPTV display. I was there at the time to look at the SXRD RPTV and so after a bit the salesman asked if I wanted to view the projector. I said why not but as he lowered the screen down over the SXRD I asked him to stop the screen half way. He then ran the demo, a BD prototype by the way, on both displays.

OMG what a difference. The RPTV was way, and I mean way, better. Plasma is better yet. No comparison for me. Much brighter and realistic. A looking-through-the-window you-are-there clarity rather than looking at a duller reflection off a silky surfaced screen effect. (Edit: and the SXRD is a screen but the Qualia SXRD was at least glass unlike the current Sony SXRDs)

Both have their place but the PQ on a plasma is quite a bit different than a projector.

Cheers,

Gary

I always thought the same as you. I believe the colors seem more vibrant on a plasma over a projector. However, place a projector in a well darken room and place the same material from an RPTV or plasma, you will find it very close. Projectors will look washed out if a darken room is not provided. Stores that showcase projectors seem to have more light, which can distract from the overall picture quality.

Cree

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/0

I always thought the same as you. I believe the colors seem more vibrant on a plasma over a projector. However, place a projector in a well darken room and place the same material from an RPTV or plasma, you will find it very close. Projectors will look washed out if a darken room is not provided. Stores that showcase projectors seem to have more light, which can distract from the overall picture quality.

Cree

No this was one of only two Qualia stores in the country. It was a store within a store. Within but completely apart from the SonyStyle store. Sony went to great lengths to design and build a special room just for these two displays. It had a dimmer, we viewed dark, and was entirely sound treated in grey fabric to boot. One of the best rooms I have ever seen or heard.

The difference was night and day. However, some may legitimately prefer the softer, duller, lower contrast, and more theater-like quality of a projector. I was in a theater the other day and the screen when the picture is off is anything but black. It is a definite grey.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

No this was one of only two Qualia stores in the country. It was a store within a store. Within but completely apart from the SonyStyle store. Sony went to great lengths to design and build a special room just for these two displays. It had a dimmer, we viewed dark, and was entirely sound treated in grey fabric to boot. One of the best rooms I have ever seen or heard.

The difference was night and day. However, some may legitimately prefer the softer, duller, lower contrast, and more theater-like quality of a projector. I was in a theater the other day and the screen when the picture is off is anything but black. It is a definite grey.

Cheers,

Gary

The greyish color on the screen is due to ambient light reflecting off the screen. Light control is essential for front projection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.