AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a long time since i been on here...anyways i been doing some remodling and i need a new tv. the story is this....about 4 years ago i put in a home theater(projector)and its a dedicated room. so this new tv does not need to be the greatest haha. its for everyday use possibly a few movies and some football games when i have more then 6 people over. i have actually yet to go see this tv in person, but i like the price and seems like the reviews are good. i dont think the 720p should be an issue, the source will be hd cable, and i dont think i will use a blueray(no need correct?). also i was trying to find how many hours it is suppose to last for. i have seen 100,000 on others, is that pretty standard? i did a lot of searching on here when i did my theater and it worked out great so i am sure you guys wont let me down on this.
any info would be great. thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
how far away are you going to view the plasma from?

We have a Panny 50X1 720p in our living room and sit 10 feet away. 10 feet is optimal for 720P and only closer than that will the added detail of 1080p become visible.

we also have HD Cable (comcast) and the quality is poor on many channels allthough at 10 feet away on our plasma it looks very good on most channels but with my 37" 1080p LCD in my bedroom the channels that look good on our plasma look ok to bad on my LCD depending on how close i am to the TV.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
For a low end set the x1 series is a great bargain. 8-10' out you won't notice too much difference, closer you might, but it will be subtle. I put my 42X1 next to my 50A650 that is 1080p and the difference in detail even close up was small.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/18208231

For a low end set the x1 series is a great bargain. 8-10' out you won't notice too much difference, closer you might, but it will be subtle. I put my 42X1 next to my 50A650 that is 1080p and the difference in detail even close up was small.

yep the X1 easily outperforms LCD's that cost more than it does

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just checked it out....seating will be mostly about 10-12feet away.....and if you are sitting at the bar area possibly 15feet....not too worried about sitting at the bar and watching. is there another choice of tv that someone would recommend..under1200? thanks adam

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't really add anything other than I have been very happy w/my 50" Panny 720P Viera. Had it for a bit over a year, and it has been flawless. For what you need, I believe it is ideal for you.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
i have a th50px80u, the predecessor of the 50x1 series, and i watch at roughly your distance as well. It looks just fine and gets alot of compliments, and most people think ist'a 1080p anyway. I actually recommend blu-ray highly even with a 720p set, it does look significantly better than DVD, and it sounds alot better too, plus alot fo the new features like the menus on the fly are really nice. I got a pS3 so that does games as well and streaming netflix, but a true hi-def source isn't wasted on a 720p TV is what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 /forum/post/18228654

i have a th50px80u, the predecessor of the 50x1 series, and i watch at roughly your distance as well. It looks just fine and gets alot of compliments, and most people think ist'a 1080p anyway. I actually recommend blu-ray highly even with a 720p set, it does look significantly better than DVD, and it sounds alot better too, plus alot fo the new features like the menus on the fly are really nice. I got a pS3 so that does games as well and streaming netflix, but a true hi-def source isn't wasted on a 720p TV is what I'm trying to say.

yep i agree, blu-ray is still very much worth having even though its only 720p and most people can't even tell these things are 720p unless they know about TV's and get within 6 or less feet of the TV then you can start to see that its a 720p more easily

1 - 10 of 10 Posts