Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specs on new Panasonic DLP RPTV:

http://www.1-877camcorder.com/pt52dl52.html

List price is $6000 - i.e., $2000 more than the list on the 50" Sony LCD Grand Wega (i.e., it's 1.5x the price of the Sony). A 10%-discount at a local store on these TVs would still place this TV at $1800 more than the Sony, for an 8% larger overall image. That means I probably won't hold out for it, despite the possibility that it may have better blacks and not have the Samsung's issues.

Has anyone seen it yet? I.e., does it have "rainbows"?

It doesn't seem to have an RGB or computer input, and the DVI may, like Sony's, not be designed for PCs.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The only problem I'm aware of is that the DVI is NOT HDCP. I don't think this will be an issue for many for a few years, but HDCP DVI DVD players are on the way and HDCP STB's are already here.

Other than that I'd say it will better the Samsung in PQ based on reports and on the fact that its Panny's second try.

Ken

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sammy is now saying they can get me the 61 faster than the 50.. Remains to be seen

I saw the Panny unit at cedia, but it couldn't have been the new one, this one is much sleeker...

I am debating to get the 50 panny instead, including the fact that samsung has pissed me off (and everyone) to no avail...

What is the Contrast Ratio on the Samsung..

It looks like the Panny's are shipping now, but I am going to call on Monday..

-ADS-

·
Registered
506 Posts
eweiss,

Goodguys.com is scheduled to ship my PT-52DL52 within a week. I purchased it for $4500 with no tax and free shipping + $100 for a 33 month extended GE warranty (cancelled my PB 507 due to usability issues and allocation delays). You can search other PT-52DL52 threads for pricing details.

There are pretty good PT-52DL52 specs at (including 200W bulb).

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Are there any critical Cedia-based reviews of this Panny versus the Sammys and the GWIIs?

Thanks,

·
Registered
20 Posts
jeffmcclan,

How did you get the extended warranty for only $100? The price is listed as $375 on the website. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have found another Internet reseller for the Panasonic that offers a lower price. SoundCity lists the unit at a regular price of $4199 and they usually run a weekend special with 13% off. The current weekend price is now $3653.13 with S&H at $251.94. When I emailed them for more information, they indicated that the units were expected shortly, but would not give a specific ETA from Panasonic. The S&H includes carrying the set into the house, but does not include unpacking or setting up the unit (white glove service). White glove service is an additional $75. More specific information is at www.soundcity.com/search.php?id1=&id3=104&brands=&keyword=&offset=20 ]

Please note that I have no connection with SoundCity and I have no experience in purchasing from them.

William

·
Registered
506 Posts
MDRiggs,

Are you saying that you saw the PT-52DL52? If so, which source(s) did you view and what was your impression of out-of-the-box PQ?

Larry,

I PM'ed you the warranty info. However, I changed my order to Sound City based on an additional $600 savings ($3900 delivered w/o extended warranty). Thanks willmd for the tip.

To All:

GoodGuys and SoundCity say they expect sets any day (past due to November Panny commits). However, two local Tweeter stores have amended availability to Jan '03. What is going on with delivery? I plan to call Panasonic on Monday to inquire.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d4lions
I saw the Panny unit at cedia, but it couldn't have been the new one, this one is much sleeker...
The one Panasonic had at CEDIA was the new one. The cabinet is pretty much the same for the old one, however. They had it on the matching stand, which makes it look like a big floor-standing set instead of a tabletop.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmcclan
MDRiggs,

Are you saying that you saw the PT-52DL52? If so, which source(s) did you view and what was your impression of out-of-the-box PQ?
Sources were HD and DVD (via RP-82). Looked great on HD; naturally, DVD was not as good, but still excellent, I thought. Mind you, this was at a show--not the best place in the world to evaluate the performance of anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.