AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently returned my Pioneer 4304 to costco after the speakers stopped working. I replaced it with a Panasonic 54" TC-54ps14. I cant find much information on this set.

Is this a recommended set? Im finding that the picture on my old Pioneer 43" was better after basic calibration. Im wondering if I should have just purchased a cheap set of speakers instead of replacing the set. I loved my old Pioneer!

Anyone have any thoughts on this TV? I believe it is a 12th gen. model, but it doesnt have the same specs as the v10, G10 ect.

thanks in advance for the help. they also had a 58" Samsung but it was $500 more. Should I have gotten that?

Tom

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It looks like one difference from the S1 to the S14 is that the S1 has the full 1080 lines of moving resolution and the S14 advertises 900 or more also the native contrast ratio and shades of gradation are less on the S14.

Here are the specs for the TC-54PS14 from Panasonic: LINK

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that why I am finding the overall picture to be pretty dark? I ran DVE and even with brightness and contrast up to 100 I couldnt get any bloom in the calibration. I cant see any detail in dark objects on screen. I know the s14 has a contrast ratio of 30000:1 and the s1 has 40000:1. Could that account for the overall darkness in the picture?

Im thinking of returning this since the S1 is the same price at Best Buy.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 /forum/post/17010198

It looks like one difference from the S1 to the S14 is that the S1 has the full 1080 lines of moving resolution and the S14 advertises 900 or more also the native contrast ratio and shades of gradation are less on the S14.

Here are the specs for the TC-54PS14 from Panasonic: LINK

That is very odd...in the past, Panasonics warehouse store models have been virtually identical to the equivalent set you could buy elsewhere..except for a few missing/different features and maybe cosmetics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been watching this forum for a while now and finally pulled the trigger too. I saw BB's ad for the TC-54s1 and it is a great price for a larger size than the 50" I was looking at. Frys also had the TC-54S1 for $25 more than BB, which Im sure they would match. I was going to use the BB ad to bargain at UE, but they didn't carry the S1. They did, however really sweeten the pot on a 54G10 to the point that I couldn't refuse. I have to say, they are much more professional to deal with and know at least a little bit more about the product. And I would have picked Frys over BB too, I cant say enough reasons why I wont use BB, other than to price match. But that's me!

Anyway, it gets delivered Tuesday. Im getting stoked already! To the OP, good luck with your choice, but watch the fine print with BB, should you go with them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any thoughts on whether the costco panel (tcp54sp14) is the same as the panel used in the S1 series? I'm considering returning this if the quality isn't as good as the s1. Anyone able to compare?

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlucca /forum/post/17026317

Any thoughts on whether the costco panel (tcp54sp14) is the same as the panel used in the S1 series? I'm considering returning this if the quality isn't as good as the s1. Anyone able to compare?

Not the same panel... s1 uses the Neo PDP panel and the S14 uses a Gen 11 Panel.... For the same price, return the S14 and get the S1... Better Motion Resolution, Better Native Contrast, and According to Neo PDP a brighter panel...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.