AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the gap between 50" and 65" is *very* big. Do we have any hard information/indication that Panasonic will put a gap filler in between at some point in time? Or is it only guessing right now?

The problem for me is that 65" is probably too big for my viewing distance, while 50" sounds a bit too small...

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have not heard anything about a "tweener" size from Panasonic. You can get a 55" plasma from Hitachi/Fujitsu.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
I think the gap between 50" and 65" is *very* big. Do we have any hard information/indication that Panasonic will put a gap filler in between at some point in time? Or is it only guessing right now?

The problem for me is that 65" is probably too big for my viewing distance, while 50" sounds a bit too small...
I haven't seen a single indication of Panasonic planning anything between 50" and 65". It's not even guessing, it's more like wishful thinking ;)

There are other brands making 55" plasmas no?

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Hitachi/Fujitsu 55" would be a nice size for me. However, these panels don't have such good black levels. So unless FHP improves in that area, I'd rather go with a Panasonic or 6G Pioneer panel. Furthermore I really need to have 1080p, so that I can cope with these big displays at my viewing distance.

Well, maybe I should check out the next 61" Pioneer (probably released somewhen early/mid next year). But I'm afraid it's still a bit on the big side for my viewing distance...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think the tweener will be coming. Maybe next year, perhaps '07. The gap is whichever line is optimized for 65s would make clean cuts for 57s.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Panasonic's new factory makes 100" glass which will allow 3 x 57" panels with no waste. So I would be surprised if the 57" didn't come, as the 57" and 50" panels are the most efficient that Panasonic can produce from the new plant (more efficient than the 65"). My guess is that the 57" will come out once they have perfected 1080p at that size. Maybe sometime next Fall.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Panasonic's new factory makes 100" glass
Interesting! If I calculated right this should be the LCD generations' glass size:

5G 65.6"

6G 93.85"

7G 113.7"

8G 127.2"

So Panasonic's new fab seems to be in size somewhere between 6G and 7G LCD.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I hate to tell you this madshi, but LCD mfrs. have no standards. Samsung and LG.Philips have different sizes for 7G (so does Sharp, I think). The reason why one is cutting 40s, another 42s, and another 45s is that 7G != 7G != 7G.

So Panasonic's fab is whatever they choose to call it.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, you're right, rogo. I stumbled over some conflicting numbers for the generations. I just wrote down what made sense to me, cause I wanted to have some kind of comparison between LCD and plasma glass size.

Anyway: Some LCD fabs are already at 113.7", Sharp is planning 127.2". So the new 100" Panasonic plasma fab doesn't look bad in comparison, but there's still room to grow, I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.