AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Anger Management, and Matrix Reloaded which are supposed to be in 1.85:1 ratio, I get black bars. Do you?

·
Registered
438 Posts
without dredging up the entire aspect ratio scenario over again ..

Don't worry!

A small amount of 'black bars' on a 1.85:1 movie should be expected since the aspect ratio of your PDP is only 1.77:1.

The amount of 'black bars' on a 1.85:1 movie displayed on a 1.77:1 television will vary - from none at all to a small amount - based on the display's, internal scaler, overscan %, and probably lots of other reasons. A fixed pixel display like the panny plasma you mentioned will probably have not much overscan at all, which is why the bars may be more evident to you than say .. vs. the same movie on a 16:9 crt rptv.

If you are talking about a large amount of real estate having black bars, you are either watching an even wider aspect ratio movie like a 2.35:1 or you are possibly watching a non widescreen enhanced dvd and are having zoom/scaling mode issues displaying the letterboxed 4:3 signal.

- pink

·
Registered
548 Posts
Both IMDB (theatrical) and DVDEmpire say that Anger Management are 2.35.

IMDB also says that the theatrical release of Matrix Reloaded is 2.35.

Regards,

John Flegert

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you're right, I realize the ratios were wrong for Matrix, but what about Finding Nemo. On that as well, I'm getting Black bars, and its supposed to be 1.78:1

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
make sure that your dvd player is set to "widescreen tv" or "16:9 display"...or something like that. Otherwise, your player might be sending out a 4:3 image to your set, rather than a 16x9 image.

I wont' even ask where you got those above movies (as they're not yet released?)...screeners perhaps?

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.