AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been back and forth on this for weeks: Should I wait and see what happens with plasma prices in the next year or so? Should I go with something like DLP, LCoS, or a big ol' direct view? Do I really need to be concerned about burn-in? Is a commercial plasma really for me? Do commercial plasmas buzz? Should I forget the whole thing and keep watching my dinky, 12 year old Toshiba? :)

After considering all of the alternatives, and given the "reasonable" pricing of the 6UY at places like VisualApex and Dell, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. At the moment, all I've got is old fashioned analog cable (going to either go with digital cable or satellite soon), TiVo and a DVD player. AFAIK, all of those can easily be hooked up to the 6UY, assuming I buy some BNC adaptors. Can any of you 6UY owners think of any reason why this commercial plasma isn't right for me? I'm really enamored with the Fujitsu 42" ED model, but the nearly $5K price tag is unappealing, given the price of the 6UY. I figure a couple of years from now, I can move the 6UY into the bedroom and buy a new plasma when the technology improves/prices get even better. Anyone care to suggest an alternative? HELP!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you buy the 6UY at Visual Apex they throw in the BNC adapters. That's good for one set of component in. For the other, you will need a component cable with a DSub connector on the end. Visual Apex has these for $75, which is the most reasonable price I could find.

Everything I heard about the 6UY has been fantastic so I didn't even consider the consumer model. I did however visit my local BestBuy store to check out the PQ of it because I assumed it would be similar to the 6UY.

I got the 6UY from Visual Apex. They price matched another online site so their lowest price is not the one on the web. If you are serious about the 6UY then I will PM you the final price got from VA. I have not seen this display for a lower price and it comes from a very reputable company.

Have you every wondered why the 6UY is the most talked about display in the forum? It is because it is a remarkable unit with stellar PQ but is also one of the lowest priced machines. The best of all worlds.

Disclaimer :: All above statements are IMO ... Geoff.

Geoff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Geoff, please help me out here. You mentioned a Dsub cable for the other input- are you referring to the VGA/Component input? My 6uy is on the way- so I've ordered a VGA-RCA cable. I have a cheaper source.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't order the DSub-RCA cable as I currently only have one component video source. Therefore, I am using the BNC adapters and a regular component video cable. I do not know if the VGA -RCA cable will work because I don't know if this is a standard across all TV/Monitors or it this connector is unique to the Pannys.

I guess all I can say is try it and let us know if it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Should you wait for the HD tivo ?

The other things to consider is the in-house warranty and emissions coming out of the commercial panels. If this concern you, I'd go with the consumer.

BTW, I don't know how much more low, radio and other frequencies is coming out the commercial panels. Is there anybody out there who figured this out already ? is there any health hazard associated with this ?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
In terms of any type of "buzz," there's no difference between the commercial and consumer models. All plasma screens inherently buzz to some extent. Some people are very sensitive to this. My wife couldn't tell until I told her, and we turned off all the other noise sources in the room. Even then, I have to have my ear within 3-4 inches of the set to discern it. We have both a 42" consumer Panasonic and a 37" commercial Panasonic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually took my TiVo back when I bought my 6UY. I figured it was a waste of money to keep it if I was going to go with the HD TiVo in the near future. The CSR from TiVo asked why I was cancelling and I told him this reason. He said that the HD TiVo should be out before Christmas. That is the first I heard and who knows how reliable it is coming from a CSR.

Anyway ... Geoff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldn't possibly live without TiVo until Christmas!

I'll probably just move my current TiVo box to the bedroom when the HD TiVo comes out. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the subject of in-home warranty on commercial plasmas, that doesn't bother me too much. I figure the components in my audio system each cost at least as much as the 6UY and none of them come with an in-home warranty, so why would I expect that in the case of a plasma TV?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.