AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Does Vivid, Standard, Cinema, and Custom have an effect on the picture other than presets?

For example, would

Picture +20

Brightness +7

look the same if I changed any of the above types to those settings or is there an underlying difference for each type?

Thanks much

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes. They're different. I haven't seen anyone post the precise answer to how they're different, but there are evidently different gamma settings between them. The exception to this seems to be Standard and Custom which appear to be the same.

Hope that helps.

--Mav

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I had no idea. Thank you very much.

I'm trying to eliminate a soft focus look that seems to have crept into the TV since I got it. It may be due to switching to custom or maybe playing with the sharpness.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHxHoward /forum/post/12898235

Interesting, I had no idea. Thank you very much.

I'm trying to eliminate a soft focus look that seems to have crept into the TV since I got it. It may be due to switching to custom or maybe playing with the sharpness.

None of the settings will give a softer picture. What are you using for HD? (ie, cable, satellite, etc)

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHxHoward /forum/post/12898235

....I'm trying to eliminate a soft focus look that seems to have crept into the TV since I got it. It may be due to switching to custom or maybe playing with the sharpness.

The Sharpness setting has virtually no effect on the sharpness of the image.

What is your source when you're seeing the softness? If you have some sort of cable or satellite STB then the 720p will probably look softer than feeding it a 1080i signal (which looks a lot crisper and more detailed on my PZ700U),

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 720p singals are what look soft to me. 1080i does look better. Sometimes I think the "softness" is due to sd stuff being broadcast on hd channels.

I use HDMI.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHxHoward /forum/post/12902162

The 720p singals are what look soft to me. 1080i does look better. Sometimes I think the "softness" is due to sd stuff being broadcast on hd channels. I use HDMI.

When i set my SA8300HD or my Tivo S3 to output everything at 720p all the channels are softer with less detail. When i set them to output everything at 1080i everything looks noticeably crisper with much more detail. I see this same effect on my PZ700U, my older PX50U, HP LCD TV, and my GF's Polaroid LCD TV. The 720p channels do look better when i set the STB to output them at 1080i. There must be some scientific explanation

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12904787

When i set my SA8300HD or my Tivo S3 to output everything at 720p all the channels are softer with less detail. When i set them to output everything at 1080i everything looks noticeably crisper with much more detail. I see this same effect on my PZ700U, my older PX50U, HP LCD TV, and my GF's Polaroid LCD TV. The 720p channels do look better when i set the STB to output them at 1080i. There must be some scientific explanation

I agree with this sentiment as well. I pass everything in "native", but I do agree that 1080i definitely looks "crisper" than 720p, all other things being equal. 720p, though, seems to handle fast motion a lot better. It's another one of those "pick your poison" situations (better fast action handling or crisper/sharper picture). I *think* this is why ABC/ESPN and Fox/FSN broadcast in 720p (because of the sports emphasis), while the others (NBC and CBS) use 1080i, but that's just a guess. There is an explanation for this (for both the crisper look of 1080i and the better motion handling of 720p), and at one point I knew what it was (something about *effective* framerates, I think), but I have since forgotten. If you're interested, that technical answer is around here somewhere.

--Mav

1 - 9 of 9 Posts