AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I think that I have learned enough on this forum to finally take the Plunge and start my HT project.

I want to get one of the above two projectors Panasonic 75 or 711, but am a bit confused as to which will be more suitable.

I have an old Philips DVD player, which will be replaced by another DVD player soon. So HTPC is out of question. The DVD player feeds into a Denon 3802 Reciever, and the projector receives the signal from that.

The light in my room is very difficult to control during day-time. I can close the curtains, but so much light seeps in. It is not feasible to change the curtains for this setup. So I need something that can function fine in an environment where you can almost read a newspaper.

I cannot mount the Projector on the ceiling. I am planning on installing a Shelf, and placing the projector on that eventually. Until that happens though, I will probably place it on a small table of sorts.

My question is,

based on the above requirements, which one do you think will work better for me ?

What is the best way of connecting the projector to my receiver, or DVD player ? (Video in or S-Video in)

Any other hint will be appreciated.

· Registered
697 Posts
hi

i would go rgb- component cable. its better color and PQ+ s video for now from your cable box or dish, later you can go STB vga TO PJ.

GOOD LUCK

safaa

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help.

I am still trying to decipher Safaa messag (STB vga TO PJ), please take it easy on the newbie.

Is there a FAQ about cabling anywhere, here or outside ?

· Registered
3,991 Posts
For your cabling, the 75u and 711xu have two 15pin RGB/VGA type connections...They do not have an RGB component (3RCA) connection. So, to connect your progressive scan DVD player, you simply use a component to 15pin RGB cable.

For your Cable/SAT/TV connections, you can use various instruments such as the VB50 doubler, or the DISH 6000 STB which has a VGA port. Connect this to the other port with a standard VGA cable.

I think this is what safaa was trying to explain.

Incidently, I've worked out a decent deal with a supplier for the 75u. Once I buy mine, I was planning on posting the contact info. PM me if interested.

· Registered
697 Posts
hi

yes that what i meant.

you could brows forum for connection or cabling. it should be easy to configure. need little time. for example

you log to internet then type vga in search box then you read and learn from all sites that's under that tittle.

and so on for any thing you really want to learn.

good luck

safaa

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all.

RGB to Component seems the ticket. I found the cables locally and will buy them soon.

I am nearly done with the research now. I will start buying stuff next week and will fit them soon after. This is what I am planning to buy:

Panasonic 711 pj

Denon 3802 receiver

Energy Encore speakers

100" diagnal screen (cheepo brand because of budget)

Will attach that to my Philips DVD player and should be fine.

All this in a 14' x 14' dedicated room (This is all the wife will let me have). How crasy can you get? But this house belongs to my employer and I will be moving out within a few years (when I change jobs). So this setup should be future proof ;).

Any last Comments before I take the plunge ?

· Registered
3,991 Posts
Where are you getting your Denon 3802? I've been searching for a couple of weeks now. Just like the panny 75u, I set a strike price in mind, and until I can find it for that, I don't budge. I finally got my 75u for the cheapest price I could find, but I haven't gotten close on the 3802.

Most authorized dealers are selling the 3802 for $750. They're selling the 1082 (3802 clone) for around $720. Unauthorized dealers have them for around $650. I'm trying to get one for $600. Wish me luck :D

· Registered
184 Posts
Robertmee...

If you're using the A/V receiver for hi-def, the video signal will be degraded unless its processed at least at 60mhz. I am not sure if the Denon has that capability.

When I researched it, I determined that Yamaha RX-V1200 was more appropriate for hi-def than the Denon. Bought it for $720 from an authorized dealer but received back $155 from Amex, reducing cost to $565.

To understand how you receive cash back from the credit card company, see this thread... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=138445

· Registered
3,991 Posts
wolfgang,

thanks for the heads-up....

At this point, I don't think I'll use the AV recv for video switching. The panny 75u has two RGB/VGA inputs. I'll use one dedicated to the DVD player, and probably a VB50 to switch my other sources. The VB50 has video passthru for HD.

The Yamaha looks like a good unit...What attracts me to the 3802 is the 7 amplified channels, as I'm planning on a 7.1 setup. With any other receiver in this price range, I'm limited to 6 channels and would have to use separate amps for a 7.1 setup.

· Registered
4,907 Posts
One interesting thing I've heard re the 75U and the 711XU is that the 75U looks best in low mode while the 711XU looks better in high mode. This would lead me to think that the 711XU in high mode would offer some extra pizzaz to the picture quality that you couldn't get with the 75U. Any comments?

· Registered
184 Posts
I have the 711XU and can tell you that switching from lo-mode (which I think is about 1200 lumens) to hi mode (1600 lumens), makes the image not just noticeably brighter, but gives it more punch. But 1200 lumens ain't bad, either.

So we use lo mode for NSTC and hi mode for DVD.

Got to tell ya...what gives my system a real wow effect is not just the pj, but the comination pj and a good sound system. Being surrounded by sound and feeling the floor vibrate when the sub-woofer kicks in, is an experience we haven't felt in a movie theater.

So if you're building a system and are short on cash, you may want to consider buying the cheaper 75U and putting the savings in a good sound system. It's as integral a part of a good HT system as is the PJ. And the right combination of pj and speaker can significantly enhance your life style.

· Registered
236 Posts
newbie,

I am just starting my theater as well. For cables, I went to A2Zcables, I think thay are a forum sponsor. I bought a _lot_ of cables so that I can install all of them in the ceiling at once, and be future proofed. Since you do not own, and will move out in a few years, you probably don't want to do that, but you still need some cables. Their prices seemed lower than anywhere else, _very_ broad selection, and qaulity looks good. I am still waiting on the LT150 refurbs to be available at AVS before I install, so I haven't tested them. Be _sure_ to measure you cable runs with string before you buy, you will be amazed at short a 30 foot cable is when you run it along the walls!

Mike

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robertmee,

I am getting the 3802 from a local retailer. The price is more than the recommended price, but I prefer buying from a brick and mortar shop.

For a newbie, it is important to get support during putting everything together.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Misha,

Thanks for the tips. I did not think about the piece of string before, but it seems a good idea now.

I will do that. I will also check A2Zcables out.

Thanks to all for the nice hints

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.