AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the new panasonic lineup has been announced I am wondering if they are worth waiting for. As someone who can not spend any extra I am thinking that prices will be similar on the 2008 800 series and the 09 G series.

Looking for opinions on which is a better set... an older higher level set (800u) or a newer, lower on the ladder set (G series)

·
Vendor
32,784 Posts
Not true, the PZ800 and PZ850 = V Series 50" 54" 58" 65" . These units will have THX mode and all the extras the 850 had, so the guy from Panasonic said.

dtorz21, you are infor a long wait. Summertime release.......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think my original question was misunderstood....

if the 800u is being replaced by the V series, i was asking if it would be better to have a 2008 800u or a 2009 G series... meaning, is this years midlevel set better than last years top level set

but this is almost irrelevant since i do not want to want until summertime

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21 /forum/post/15505756

i think my original question was misunderstood....

if the 800u is being replaced by the V series, i was asking if it would be better to have a 2008 800u or a 2009 G series... meaning, is this years midlevel set better than last years top level set

but this is almost irrelevant since i do not want to want until summertime

I'm in the same boat, and it IS relevant. The G series will launch in March, not summertime like the V series, and it will have THX color, which for me was the only thing holding me back from buying an 80U or 85U set. In fact, it is not yet clear from Panasonic's PR materials whether or not even the lowly S series (also launching in March) will have THX.

I would definitely wait for reviews of S/G models before deciding on a set. There are rumors that the new prices are going to be low, and if it should turn out that a lowly S series has PQ that compares favorably with an 800U, what a bargain that would be. Based on feature lists alone, it seems almost certain that the G series will be as good as an 800U and in some ways better.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21 /forum/post/15503145

Now that the new panasonic lineup has been announced I am wondering if they are worth waiting for. As someone who can not spend any extra I am thinking that prices will be similar on the 2008 800 series and the 09 G series.

Looking for opinions on which is a better set... an older higher level set (800u) or a newer, lower on the ladder set (G series)

I would at least wait for real pricing info before making any decisions. It is not really possible to do a proper feature comparison without that first.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It's too early to answer a question like this considering no one here has personally seen the sets and we don't know what they will cost yet.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/15509916

It's too early to answer a question like this considering no one here has personally seen the sets and we don't know what they will cost yet.

Agreed 100% , as of now with no authentic visual reports regarding PQ performance of the 09s, everything is pure speculation ..... however, if I was
going to speculate at this point, I've got a gut feeling that the 09 'G' series will probably give the current 800 a run for it's money and perhaps even best it. Unless they've done something to the 'G' that would purposely decrease the PQ, I don't see how a new set (the 09 G) with THX / higher contrast ratios / and perhaps better motion handling .... could not be as good or better.
Time will tell .....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
You don't say what size you are looking for? If it's the 42" model go with the PZ800 because it has far better sound quality than the Z, V, G Series if it's not going to be hooked up to a receiver.

That's one thing that I have been complaining about with the new models because the smaller 42" models which may end up in bedrooms & spare rooms & etc without ever being hooked up to receivers ALL have crappy little speakers in them & I think the manufactures are missing the boat by not building some smaller sets with some models that have better speakers in them & etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you found what the speaker setups are on the '09 V, G, and S units?

I have been watching for any info on them.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15510534

You don't say what size you are looking for? If it's the 42" model go with the PZ800 because it has far better sound quality than the Z, V, G Series if it's not going to be hooked up to a receiver.

That's one thing that I have been complaining about with the new models because the smaller 42" models which may end up in bedrooms & spare rooms & etc without ever being hooked up to receivers ALL have crappy little speakers in them & I think the manufactures are missing the boat by not building some smaller sets with some models that have better speakers in them & etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too would like to know more about G series sound quality as it compares to 800 series since I will not be using a surround system all the time??

Does any one have a feel for pricing?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparen1 /forum/post/15599247

I too would like to know more about G series sound quality as it compares to 800 series since I will not be using a surround system all the time??

Does any one have a feel for pricing?

No reviews yet, nor pricing. Which G model are you referring to?

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroh /forum/post/15506162

I'm in the same boat, and it IS relevant. The G series will launch in March, not summertime like the V series, and it will have THX color, which for me was the only thing holding me back from buying an 80U or 85U set. In fact, it is not yet clear from Panasonic's PR materials whether or not even the lowly S series (also launching in March) will have THX.

I would definitely wait for reviews of S/G models before deciding on a set. There are rumors that the new prices are going to be low, and if it should turn out that a lowly S series has PQ that compares favorably with an 800U, what a bargain that would be. Based on feature lists alone, it seems almost certain that the G series will be as good as an 800U and in some ways better.

Unfortunately for someone like me, waiting may not be an option. I've noticed that stores around where I live are selling out of the 800...so I feel that it's now or never for me to buy the 800. it's just hard for me to make a decision like this without even know at least the prices of the new lineup.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
There seems to be much price slashing of the 2008 models.

I got my Pz46800U for $1499.

So it would be very hard to speculate if the newer models will be available at such low prices, especially right when they are released.

The price I got was the deciding factor for me, $1000 below list price.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

There is a Pioneer 2050 KUDO on sale for $2199 at BestBuy right now (with 36 month no interest), about $1300 off the list.

Just thought I would throw that out there. It is considered an excellent TV, considered by many to be a "step up" from the Panny's.... A KURO within reach....

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
From the specs, the new G series should have improved picture over the '800 and '850 series sets. The V series adds Digital Cinema Color and 24p playback over the G series.

Other playback features over the '800 and '850 models would be the 600hz sub drive field over the 480hz of the older models, this is what should help the 24p problems with the '800 and '850 series models.

Of course the big physical difference would be the single panel V series vs. the double panel G series.

I would for one like the G series since it is offered in the most sizes. I am looking for a 42" or 46" for myself.

But this is all congecture until we see a new G series in person.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts