AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know if I want to wait until the 58" 850U is out (I've heard everything from next month to October,) but I have a couple questions for those of you who may have seen a 700/750 next to an 800/850.

1) Is the Anti-reflective filter really that much better on an 800/850? This may be a valid concern for me, considering the window on the opposite wall of the TV. I'm currently planning for a blackout shade and drapes anyway though.

2) Side by side, is the picture that much better? (Panasonic is claiming obscene contrast ratios on the 850s.)

3) Is 24p playback vs 3:2 pulldown noticable? I'm one of those people where flaws draw my attention, but this sounds like one of those things you can only see side by side or with some very specific reference material.

The rest of the 850 features I don't really care about. I might have to futz with the 750 more to get a better picture, but that's ok. I'm not terribly worried about image retention, no one here seems to have reported any, especially after turning it down from the factory retina-burning brightness.

I have an S3 TiVo, so I couldn't care less about Internet connectivity.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I thought I heard August on the 58" Pannys. Anyways, I've seen the 58pz750 next to the 46pz850u. The anti-reflective filters on both sets seem to be about equal. Neither one is like the full anti-glare coating that last years 77u's had, but they do a pretty decent job at cutting down glare nonetheless.

The 48hz mode on the 800/850u is pretty much useless because it flickers so much. It is better on these to just keep the refresh rate at 60hz and have the set do 3:2 pulldown just like on the 750.

There is definitely an improvement in PQ from the 750 to the 850. The blacks are noticeably deeper and the whites on the new panels are brighter. I still think the 750 has a great picture. Also too the studio reference mode on the 850u seems to be brighter with brighter colors compared to the studio reference mode on the 750. I like the studio reference mode on the 850 better because it's brighter, but all the colors and flesh tones still seem very accurate and lifelike.

Overall....is it worth waiting for the 58pz850 to come out? Its really up to you and whether or not you're willing to wait. I would try and see the 850 near a 750 too to compare, but if I were you and you have a decent TV to watch right now I would say it's worth waiting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 27" CRT SDTV right now. I've had an S3 TiVo for a year and a half. I think I'm about done waiting.

If the anti-glare isn't much different and the 48hz mode is useless, waiting 2+ months for an 850 at an undetermined price doesn't sound like fun, considering everyone's selling out of the 750's right now and they'll likely be gone by then. Though I suspect there will be some good deals on the 700s for those willing to wait.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I would grab a 750 at a good price & don't look back. You also will be getting a 1 Tuner Split-Screen that the 850 doesn't have & to me I'd rather have that feature to keep an eye on 2 games every once in awhile. And as always make sure you can return it without any hassle if you not happy with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts